• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Discs

I also bought several MVP overmold discs as a slower player and just don't like them. The overmold is a heavier material in the rim, lightweight center. Has to do with angular momentum aka spinning speed. It's really probably better for faster players. No amount of beat-in will really change that.

If you want to see what's happening with your new overmold discs, it be like this demo with the hollow disc playing the part of the overmold and the solid sphere more akin to typical discs. As you can see, the spin on an MVP overmold disc will be slower but the trade-off is the spin will be maintained for longer -- which doesn't help people throwing 200/300 feet out at all. These discs are exactly for people with power then and not us low-power folk.

Maybe try a Innova Dragon? They have similar numbers and are only available in lightweights because it's supposed to float on water. They're also pretty cheap.

Another really flippy disc I had and LOVED was the Yikun Shu. As a RHBHer, if I wanted to get on right curve or have a forehand style finish, it was my goto. A midrange, the rim feels like a 7 speed driver instead. Finding a lightweight one might be problematic though.

I wish I'd known all this $94 ago. I have a lightweight River and Saint that are probably similar to the Dragon. I also have a Fuse which is similar to the Shu. But, like most players, I'll never stop buying discs, so I'll keep your recommendations in mind. I have ordered an Underworld and a Sidewinder in lighter weights. I'll probably do okay with those.

I wish I'd known all this $94 ago. I have a lightweight River and Saint that are probably similar to the Dragon. I also have a Fuse which is similar to the Shu. But, like most players, I'll never stop buying discs, so I'll keep your recommendations in mind. I have ordered an Underworld and a Sidewinder in lighter weights. I'll probably do okay with those.

Thats the brutal part. Also why I try to shove any new disc I get sent into other peoples hands to try out before they spend their own money on them! The Cloudbreaker 3 and Iron samurai 3 were less than exciting to throw and I wish I had spent more time trying to figure out if I liked them or not before I got multiple back ups. I don't get to try out much new plastic outside of DM stuff but whenever someone is talking a disc up I ask to throw it just to see. This season the hex and the glitch were the two that really stuck out to me.

Thats the brutal part. Also why I try to shove any new disc I get sent into other peoples hands to try out before they spend their own money on them! The Cloudbreaker 3 and Iron samurai 3 were less than exciting to throw and I wish I had spent more time trying to figure out if I liked them or not before I got multiple back ups. I don't get to try out much new plastic outside of DM stuff but whenever someone is talking a disc up I ask to throw it just to see. This season the hex and the glitch were the two that really stuck out to me.

The lesson for me is to buy only one or two discs at a time - not six, like I did this time. I always play alone, so I don't get much of a chance to try other people's discs.

I'm 55 and I play regularly with several guys who are 60-65. I throw about 300 on a good day. The older/lower arm-speed guys in my group seem to gravitate toward a few disc molds, most of which have already been mentioned. Each of these is bagged by at least a couple guys in my regular group:

Mamba - My friend who may be closest to you in age and distance does really well with this disc as a distance driver. Not sure of the weight, probably around 160. Star plastic.

Jade - I don't have one but a couple guys in my group really like it.

River - I use a heavier one, but the older guys use lighter ones. I have it in Gold and Opto. Gold is much flipper than Opto.

Sting - I also have one of these - Ace Race version, flippy when new.

Paradox - flippy mid.

I'm 55 and I play regularly with several guys who are 60-65. I throw about 300 on a good day. The older/lower arm-speed guys in my group seem to gravitate toward a few disc molds, most of which have already been mentioned. Each of these is bagged by at least a couple guys in my regular group:

Mamba - My friend who may be closest to you in age and distance does really well with this disc as a distance driver. Not sure of the weight, probably around 160. Star plastic.

Jade - I don't have one but a couple guys in my group really like it.

River - I use a heavier one, but the older guys use lighter ones. I have it in Gold and Opto. Gold is much flipper than Opto.

Sting - I also have one of these - Ace Race version, flippy when new.

Paradox - flippy mid.

Thanks! I have a Jade and a River. I'm getting better with them, but I still have a long way to go. I've ordered an Underworld and a Sidewinder - both lightweight.

Discs do not improve players' game. You may find a disc that you are comfortable with, but please understand, there are always at least a handful of nearly identical molds that would substitute just fine. There could be kinds of discs that suit your game/throw/form, but it sounds like you have found that in the Diamond.

Archer > Arrow.

I have had instances where a specific disc made my game better. And once you find that disc, your time is better spent throwing and learning that disc and using it, rather then searching for another disc that may or may not do the exact same thing.

Being comfortable and trusting a specific disc can do wonders for your game.

I am not condoning buying the next latest and greatest disc in hopes that it is the one. Even if I buy 10 of the exact same model, chances are they won't do the same thing.

Just my two cents.

I have had instances where a specific disc made my game better. And once you find that disc, your time is better spent throwing and learning that disc and using it, rather then searching for another disc that may or may not do the exact same thing.

Being comfortable and trusting a specific disc can do wonders for your game.

I am not condoning buying the next latest and greatest disc in hopes that it is the one. Even if I buy 10 of the exact same model, chances are they won't do the same thing.

Just my two cents.

Good point... I'm just trying to figure out what I can and can't throw. So far I've learned that I can only throw understable discs of no more than 160 grams, and nothing over a speed 9. I only have three discs I can reliably use - a Fuse, a Warship, and a Diamond. I'd like to find a couple more I can use - a speed 9 disc, and something between the speed 5 Fuse and speed 8 Diamond.

I also have a Fuse which is similar to the Shu.

Have to respectfully disagree if you're only basing it on flight numbers. Love both. Had four fuses and it's a go-to disc. Had only one Yikun Shu I found lying around (no info) so my perspective may be skewed depending how beat in it was (but it looked mint). But my Shu always turned over far easier for me and the rims don't feel similar at all - opto feels like a midrange rim, Shu feels more like a driver rim. I regret losing it.

There's a dearth of video reviews though. I guess Yikun isn't too common. Think I'll order some now that I think about it and have the cash.

Maybe someone else who knows both can put in their two cents.

Have to respectfully disagree if you're only basing it on flight numbers. Love both. Had four fuses and it's a go-to disc. Had only one Yikun Shu I found lying around (no info) so my perspective may be skewed depending how beat in it was (but it looked mint). But my Shu always turned over far easier for me and the rims don't feel similar at all - opto feels like a midrange rim, Shu feels more like a driver rim. I regret losing it.

There's a dearth of video reviews though. I guess Yikun isn't too common. Think I'll order some now that I think about it and have the cash.

Maybe someone else who knows both can put in their two cents.

No disrespect taken. I was indeed basing it solely on the flight numbers, as I've never seen a Shu, much less thrown one.

Good point... I'm just trying to figure out what I can and can't throw. So far I've learned that I can only throw understable discs of no more than 160 grams, and nothing over a speed 9. I only have three discs I can reliably use - a Fuse, a Warship, and a Diamond. I'd like to find a couple more I can use - a speed 9 disc, and something between the speed 5 Fuse and speed 8 Diamond.

After a few years of buying and trying - and sticking with some that really flew well for me - I came to the conclusion that "I have a speed 8 arm" meaning: I can make the disc perform pretty much as intended (although shorter than the max distances they indicate).

8 speed is the upper edge of my power for reliably flipping up a stable disc. I can throw higher speeds, but it won't flip up to flat unless it's an understable disc. Of course, there are exceptions ( I found a factory second Proton Wave that I named the "magic disc" because of how well I can throw it, despite it being an 11 speed).

Once I came to this understanding about the limit of my arm speed, I stopped chasing new discs. I really don't consider anything faster than an 8 anymore - I just keep working on my form, and pushing out my distance a little at a time.

After a few years of buying and trying - and sticking with some that really flew well for me - I came to the conclusion that "I have a speed 8 arm" meaning: I can make the disc perform pretty much as intended (although shorter than the max distances they indicate).

8 speed is the upper edge of my power for reliably flipping up a stable disc. I can throw higher speeds, but it won't flip up to flat unless it's an understable disc. Of course, there are exceptions ( I found a factory second Proton Wave that I named the "magic disc" because of how well I can throw it, despite it being an 11 speed).

Once I came to this understanding about the limit of my arm speed, I stopped chasing new discs. I really don't consider anything faster than an 8 anymore - I just keep working on my form, and pushing out my distance a little at a time.

I think my limits are pretty much the same, but even with a speed 8 disc it has to be considerably understable. Hopefully that will improve with time. I've found that disc weight matters as much as the speed ratings, though. I've been buying 155 to 160 grams discs. I can't throw anything heavier.

What am I missing? Did I screw up buying MVP? Any advice would be appreciated.

My answer, and I realize this will be unpopular, is: probably.

I buy lots of discs. It's part of what I enjoy about disc golf. I have enough MVP/Axiom to play a full bag a few times over. I do carry some of their stuff regularly, but I do believe that some molds differ from their competition in a fundamental way. I believe some of the understable molds gain their understability from shoulder angle more so than PLH and dome. I also believe these molds take more power than others to reach their flight numbers. MVP is not for everyone, but I do believe the benefits are greater the faster one throws.

I buy lots of discs. It's part of what I enjoy about disc golf. I have enough MVP/Axiom to play a full bag a few times over. I do carry some of their stuff regularly, but I do believe that some molds differ from their competition in a fundamental way. I believe some of the understable molds gain their understability from shoulder angle more so than PLH and dome. I also believe these molds take more power than others to reach their flight numbers. MVP is not for everyone, but I do believe the benefits are greater the faster one throws.

Actually, I'm getting a lot of feedback virtually identical to yours. When I can throw a speed 8 understable (-3) Diamond 250 feet with a slight right turn and can't throw a supposedly equally understable (also -3) Relay 200 feet without it hyzering, something isn't right.

I don't throw a lot of MVP in my actual bag, but I've tried a lot of it, but my experience is that this is likely accurate...if for no other reason that I've found MVP discs to all be very flat in general.

Actually, I'm getting a lot of feedback virtually identical to yours. When I can throw a speed 8 understable (-3) Diamond 250 feet with a slight right turn and can't throw a supposedly equally understable (also -3) Relay 200 feet without it hyzering, something isn't right.

1. I would point out that flight numbers are a best comparison numbers within a company. What one company deems as a -3 turn might be a -1 or -2 turn at another. Diamonds are EXTREMELY understable in my opinion...Relays not quite so much so. MVP also seems very dependent not just on arm speed, but on spin rate. If you don't produce a lot of spin, they seem to hyzer out a bit more quickly than other similar non-gyro molds.

1. I would point out that flight numbers are a best comparison numbers within a company. What one company deems as a -3 turn might be a -1 or -2 turn at another. Diamonds are EXTREMELY understable in my opinion...Relays not quite so much so. MVP also seems very dependent not just on arm speed, but on spin rate. If you don't produce a lot of spin, they seem to hyzer out a bit more quickly than other similar non-gyro molds.

I'm getting plenty of spin. When I throw a grounder, it skips like a flat rock on water and travels quite a bit further. Arm speed is another matter.

MVP hasn't really worked for me either, except sometimes I get an absolute laser and don't know what I did.

Then again the super flippy drivers/mids are also inconsistent for me so I probably just suck at this. Best so far actually seems to be "overstable" Innova molds in DX plastic of whatever speed so they're more neutral than the premium brick versions, and will beat to flippy if I need it.

Latest posts