• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Wave

I love neutron waves too, around 168g.

In the same shipment, I bought an axiom vanish. Axiom describes the vanish as somewhere between the wave and the orbital, but after 10-20 throws I disagree. The vanish that I received is more HSS and LSS than the wave (both are neutron, 168g), but not as beefy as the photon. It's possible that I got a fluke, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the vanish.

Throw it 50 more times. It'll end up right where they say, less stable than a wave, but more than orbital. New it flies almost identical to a wave without the LSS. Once you smack a few trees with it, it loosens up into a great sweet spot.

I throw my 167 N Wave as the "straight-stable" compliment to my 174 N Vanish.

Vanish is an incredible disc, especially at 174g. It can be flipped up straight, hold a hyzer (if you don't blast it) or do some really nice long distance turnover lines. No good for wind, tho!!

Least stable Wave? My 155g plasma. It's a laser if you give it enough hyzer to flip up at around 60% power, but it gets real flippy if you try to mash on it.

So if you want a beefier Wave I guess look for a pale pink, flat Proton Wave. :\

i agree.

i had a 174 proton wave thay no matter how i threw it, would never get past 350. i had other understable discs thar has the same flight pattern but went 410. i would be willing to try a neutron wave in a lower weight,.maybe i can get it to 400.

in the mean time, i will continue to throw a wrath until i find a wave that fits my weight and color scheme.

Wave was a hair flippy for my liking. Great glide and distance, but finicky and almost impossible to control. Despite not feeling like I was maxing it out on distance it was going surprisingly far.

The Vanish is definitely a step up in terms of speed and stability.

Wave was a hair flippy for my liking. Great glide and distance, but finicky and almost impossible to control. Despite not feeling like I was maxing it out on distance it was going surprisingly far.

The Vanish is definitely a step up in terms of speed and stability.

Hmmmm

Both are 21.1 mm class - same speed.

Wave - 12 | 5 | -1 | 2

Vanish - 12 | 5 | -3 | 2

I am not too sure where you guys keep getting the Vanish is more stable than the Wave. I'm not saying flight numbers are gospel, but the Vanish clearly sits between the Wave and Orbital on the stability scale... I know everyone throws differently, but it's really not even close. My 155g Waves are approximately the same level of US that the 174 Vanish sits at. Once you get into the high 160-170's, it's much more stable than the Vanish.

My guess is what you are perceiving as "speed" and "distance" is actually the under-stability of the Vanish, keeping it in the air longer than the Wave.

Vanish serves nicely as controllably understable complement for the Wave. I throw both, Neutron mid-150s

Vanish serves nicely as controllably understable complement for the Wave. I throw both, Neutron mid-150s

Exactly. I have no idea where some folks are getting "longer, more stable Wave" from a Vanish.

I think people need to throw a new mold more than 5-10x before they go around telling people how "stable" it is lol... :doh:

A purdy looking, silver hued and decently domed 168g plasma driver caught my eye in the store: MVP Wave.

Seems like a perfect match for my 330'ish throwing ability, easily the longest disc I've thrown I think.

Not too US either as I first feared, can give it my hardest and it wont roll over

This is really one of MVP's more underrated drivers. I've been throwing a max weight domey Proton as my main distance disc this winter because it bombs with minimal effort. Even with snow and ice underfoot this disc can get out there.

I would really like a more HSS version if anyone knows any plastic/color/run that ended up with a high parting line. I really wish the Photon had more glide because it just pales in comparison to the Wave. I just got a Defy to test as a compliment and I'm hoping it has a more forward finish than the Photon.

This is really one of MVP's more underrated drivers. I've been throwing a max weight domey Proton as my main distance disc this winter because it bombs with minimal effort. Even with snow and ice underfoot this disc can get out there.

I would really like a more HSS version if anyone knows any plastic/color/run that ended up with a high parting line. I really wish the Photon had more glide because it just pales in comparison to the Wave. I just got a Defy to test as a compliment and I'm hoping it has a more forward finish than the Photon.

I throw neutron waves and plan on trying a proton for shots that need I a little more resistance to turning over. That said, I tried a neutron defy 158ish grams and it felt glideless and too overstable for a max d disc. I have the same issue with photons. Both probably ok for a control driver but dissapointing compared to the wave for distance potential. Currently I throw a 158 gram star tern for a more stable compliment to the wave. That gets the job done but I prefer mvp plastic.

This is really one of MVP's more underrated drivers. . . .

Agreed. Apparently Neutron Wave in the mid-upper 150s has been my main distance driver since at least 2015 (I searched this thread).

Hmm, good luck with your search. At my limited (300ish) distance, all of the more stable MVP drivers that I tried (Photon, Defy, Tesla, etc.) were considerably shorter than the Wave. Closest was probably a seasoned Proton Tesla in the low 150s.

Pro Wraith in the upper 150s works for me as a more-stable complement to the Wave. Pro Wraith has a little more HSS than the N Wave, but unlike the Wave (which can keep turning if mis-thrown), the Pro Wraith has a reliable late fade that often keeps me out of trouble.

Since you throw farther than me, have you considered something like a Star Wraith for your more HSS distance driver slot?

Okay, all this talk about the Wave has caused me to take out my 155g Neutron Wave and put it in the bag for a round or two (or more). It's raining today so it may be tomorrow or next week before I can get out to the course, but I'm looking forward to revisiting this mold.

I just got a Defy to test as a compliment and I'm hoping it has a more forward finish than the Photon.

Sorry man, but I think you're going to be disappointed by the Defy. It's basically just a Photon in brighter colors.

Agreed. Apparently Neutron Wave in the mid-upper 150s has been my main distance driver since at least 2015 (I searched this thread).

Hmm, good luck with your search. At my limited (300ish) distance, all of the more stable MVP drivers that I tried (Photon, Defy, Tesla, etc.) were considerably shorter than the Wave. Closest was probably a seasoned Proton Tesla in the low 150s.

Pro Wraith in the upper 150s works for me as a more-stable complement to the Wave. Pro Wraith has a little more HSS than the N Wave, but unlike the Wave (which can keep turning if mis-thrown), the Pro Wraith has a reliable late fade that often keeps me out of trouble.

Since you throw farther than me, have you considered something like a Star Wraith for your more HSS distance driver slot?

I totally agree with this. I mix up drivers quite a bit and lately have been bagging all discs that "feel" like speed 11 although some are classified as Speed 12. In stability order, from OS to US, the discs in the rotation are:
C-line PDx > Star Wraith > Moonshine Trespass/Pro Wraith > Fuzion Trespass > Plasma Wave > Neutron Vanish.

I only bag 4 or 5 for any given day, but they all have a pretty similar feel (well...other than the PDx which feels like a total beefcake) and leave no stability gaps. There are a lot of good complements to the Wave with a similar hand feel; they just happen to be made by other manufacturers.

Okay, all this talk about the Wave has caused me to take out my 155g Neutron Wave and put it in the bag for a round or two (or more). It's raining today so it may be tomorrow or next week before I can get out to the course, but I'm looking forward to revisiting this mold.

Our high for the next few days is -4 including windchill. I'd love to have rainy weather right about now.

I really like my Proton Defy but it's basically a S-DD. Not much glide, just consistently straight to fade. I use it more for a faster control driver than a distance driver. It just doesn't have the legs. Flat Proton Waves might be a good HSS complement to a domey Wave. Mine is a lot less squirrely than my domey Waves but again the glide is lacking.

I would maybe try a domey, lighter Wrath for a straighter Wave complement. I think they might hold HSS a little bit better than Photons but still have some decent glide.

Our high for the next few days is -4 including windchill. I'd love to have rainy weather right about now.

Anecdotes:

I see you are from Nebraska. On YouTube, there is a site called Virtual Railfan, which has cameras in a number of places in the United States that show railroad tracks so that people can see the trains that go through. One of those cams is in Kearney, Nebraska, and I've seen the snow and can hear the wind on the microphones. Kearney looks like a nice small town, but yes it looks cold.

I also once drove through Nebraska on I-80 in Winter, behind a truck salting the road with ice, and I was praying they didn't close the highway before I got to my hotel in Lexington, NE. I made it, and the trip to Omaha and through Iowa the next day was through a Winter Wonderland of almost pure white land. I'd love to visit Nebraska again, but perhaps in Summer...

Latest posts