• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] My search for perfect lazer straight mid-range

Used Star Mako
Worn Shark
Beat Roc
Buzz SS

I think the Shark and the Buzz SS handle lower lines best, although the Mako and Roc can travel farther on a higher line.

I like a beat DX Stingray for almost everything you described, and it is the one I would use uphill for sure.

From all the information you listed, I think a z comet might be the way to go. Flat releases are difficult. I think something that can fly incredibly straight off a very slight hyzer like the comet is much more useful. It's very neutral, so if you're not overpowering it, there's a good chance it could be the best straight or line holding disc in your bag. Plus, learning to throw a comet is good for anyone's game!

Straight putter (your new anode), dx cobra, and dx roc. It won't take too long to beat-in a dx roc at Middle Creek and it will be a great disc for you for a long time. A few tree hits and the cobra will be your hyzer-flip / right-turning disc.

Gotta figure out how you throw straight. Just that simple, sorry.

Personally my straight all the way to the ground discs are Mako3 or M4, pulled hard and just a hair of hyzer angle. Good for 250-300ft rope lines. I stopped throwing these though because the power required to get this flight was not conducive to accurate release. Same goes for a Roc3, snapped really hard and thrown 7-12ft off the deck it will go dead straight and ground out before fade sets in.

Currently I use a Fugitive with a little hyzer for 200ft tunnels and an Escape for anything longer. Both fade in the end, but kept low will both ground before that happens. I can run straight shots with these or my putters at 50-80% power and usually be on target. For me, these are how I throw straight.

For you, I don't know. I would say to keep on that Atlas and figure it out, it is pretty close to neutral. Dart is a in-betweener. MVP makes some great mids, a tangent may be to your liking. A Mako3 or even an original Mako would also be more neutral (both will throw a bit more like a longer Dart). Mako3 is more torque resistant, but at your power that isn't likely to be an issue. Honestly, you just have to find something neutral and work with it.

Millenium Aurora MS.

I just purchased one for tunnel shots. So far I have only played one round with it but it has fully met my expectations and improved my game (I have lots of room to improve :p). I can't wait to get out and play more with it. Laser straight.

Check out some reviews on it.

My two primary mids are mako3's (converted from star mako) and esp flx buzzzes. MC is my home course. I tend to find myself pullling the buzzzes from the teepad (4, 5, 7, 11) for the straight shot, although I believe I can get more distance out of the makos. I feel like I can get a little turn and small bit of fade. I feel smoother on the buzzzes, so the slight sacrifice in distance gives me more consistency. I think I can throw the makos dead straight, but they seem to be a little more touchy, so if they aren't thrown flat, I'm not hitting my line. I do have a GL fuse I will be trying out this spring, and have 2 alias on the way, but haven't thrown them so I can't comment.

The Tangent is a great choice. I am currently using the Gauge. Seems to fly a bit longer and it feels better in my hand.

3. Foxbat - Wow what an interesting disc.I've never thrown a disc like this. This disc has tons of glide and NO FADE. Seriously you can even throw it high and so it runs out of juice in the sky and it won't fade - crazy. I can make this disc go straight buy I have to release with a bit of hyzer. It goes slow but just keeps floating along with crazy glide. It's actually pretty amazing to watch a disc hang in the air this long and not fade. It's like it's defying physics or something. This one is staying in my bag because it's so unique. A couple of minor nitpicks are that it can be tough to range because it just keeps floating/gliding along and the rim is a little deep for my taste.

For anyone that has not thrown the Foxbat...this is a great description. This disc has zero fade.... even if you throw it nose up, it still goes straight and won't fade at the end of the flight. I don't know how this is possible, but the Foxbat does it. It immediately found a spot in my bag for this reason.

Straight with zero fade equals Foxbat for the win!!!

Haven't thrown a foxbat but if u can trade for a beat up dx roc it won't fade either. At your distance it should be super straight.

I'll be the odd one out, but the Salient Antidote is pretty straight and does just about anything I ask it to

Hope this is true, I am supposed to be testing some antidotes with the new plastic soon. Might make a short video with them, are they comparable to any other midranges you've thrown?

Oh man, I hate to be that guy, but if you're throwing Buzzzes only 200', it's gonna be hard to see the designed flight.
At that speed, I'd probably suggest an Opto Fuse or a Tangent.
Yeah, I was gonna be that guy too. It's a really narrow list straight discs at that range and then you narrow it down further by preferring shallow profiles.
You absolutely need to try a DGA Squall. Either SP or Proline will work. Straightest flying disc on the market.
I was going to suggest that but it's probably too fast for him if the Buzzz is. A D-line might work though.
From all the information you listed, I think a z comet might be the way to go. Flat releases are difficult. I think something that can fly incredibly straight off a very slight hyzer like the comet is much more useful. It's very neutral, so if you're not overpowering it, there's a good chance it could be the best straight or line holding disc in your bag. Plus, learning to throw a comet is good for anyone's game!
I strongly concur. Throwing perfectly flat can be making it harder than it needs to be. Way larger room for error throwing with slight hyzer and having it flip into a laser.

The Comet is still the grand champion of neutrality but it's probably got a deeper rim than OP would like. The Mako is a good recommendation, Axis and Tangent are in this mix, the Impact is a really good under the radar suggestion, and Coyote is worth a mention too. It might behoove OP to practice throwing his putters because there are a lot more putters capable of dead straightness at 200' than there are mids.

Tangent is better than axis for op at 200 feet. Tangent, comet, maybe alias since it is slower than axis despite acting similar. It might fade out too much for you though. At 200 a fuse is a good disc too.

Westside Tursas fly's on a frozen rope for me. Throw it on a hyzer and it does the work for you.

Discmania S-line FD (Jackal). super straight fairway. if you have enough juice in your throw you might want to try c-line too.

Fresh out of the box, Tangent sounds like what you want, when it beats in a little it will be harder to hold dead straight without turning though, as will any disc that starts out dead straight.

The disc i use mostly for straight shots is my beat Vector.. its close to how a roc beats in only it holds that beat in stage a lot longer. Took me a long time to beat in the vector, but nothing beats it as far as a laser straight flight goes.

If your an Innova only person, just get a roc and beat it in till its straight, then you will get that straight, controllable flight your looking for.

Latest posts