• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] New fairways - Notch, Arch

My flight numbers are 7 4 0 2. I've heard people being disappointed with the Notch, because it's not a 0 3 or 0 4; it was marketed as super-beefy overstable, but it doesn't have the huge fade some folks are looking for.

Hoping to get more out-of-it for overhand shots, but for now it's pretty solid for forehand/skip shots, and it doesn't overlap with the Ascent very much at all... so that's a plus.

Yeah i was not impressed what so ever with the notch. i now throw a felon but this felon is not that overstable. so i might be going to a flat top glow firebird at max weight.

When the Notch was first announced (we didn't even know the name yet), it was billed as a Firebird-style overstable, but I think it falls short of that quite a bit, mostly because of the speed I think. Notch speed 7 versus a Firebird speed 9. Tough to compare the two, but for me it's what I like, because a slower speed is more consistent for me, and yet it has quite a bit of extra stability.

I'm not sure what to think of any of the new fairways. The Notch is nowhere close to Firebird overstable. It's alright, but it's more like a super beefy Teebird than anything else, IMO. That's not a bad thing, but not what I'd hoped it would be. For me, the Valley flies like a Trak and the Arch isn't much different in flight than an Ascent.

I don't know what I was expecting other than replacing whatever non-Vibram I had left in my bag. The non-Vibram I throw is an Escape for my main distance driver along with a champ Firebird for utility and either a C-PD or beefy champ Teebird for headwinds. The Notch might be able to replace the headwind drivers, but I remain unconvinced.

I am wondering if the production Notch isn't coming out as overstable as the tester versions. I could throw my tester on a strong anny into a headwind and there was no doubt it would fight out of it with plenty of fade.

I will probably bag the Ascent over the Arch because it feels more comfortable and is more workable for me on sidearm throws. I am not giving up on the Arch though, I think it is a better disc if you can throw it 350+ (backhand). I am not there yet.

I am bagging the Ascent, Valley, and Vamp right now for casual rounds. I have a tournament coming up and will probably bag a QJLS in place of the Valley and Vamp.

The Notch (a glow, as well) I have is from the AM Worlds Birdie Bash that was part of my players pack. That puppy is pretty damn stable.

Threw the Notch and Arch for the first time this week. The Arch performed so well for me in distance and accuracy that it instantly became a favorite. The Notch is a great disc but I'm going to have to throw it more before I can really form a better comfort level with this disc.

It's tough for me to make the Ascent take a back seat to any other FWD but the Arch sure left a good first impression.

Another video comparing the Hyzerbomb MOAB, Innova Firebird, and Vibram Notch:

Head to head to head, the MOAB is a much slower, beefy disc. Faster than a drone/gator/etc, but more OS. The Firebird is a firebird, the gold standard of OS fairways. The Notch is not as OS as a Firebird, and on avg. I can throw it about 20-30 feet farther, while the MOAB is consistently 20-30 feet shorter than the Firebird. Notch does not bite quite as much as the Firebird.

https://youtu.be/YQxPZSKdjJU

Head to head to head, the MOAB is a much slower, beefy disc. Faster than a drone/gator/etc, but more OS. The Firebird is a firebird, the gold standard of OS fairways. The Notch is not as OS as a Firebird, and on avg. I can throw it about 20-30 feet farther, while the MOAB is consistently 20-30 feet shorter than the Firebird. Notch does not bite quite as much as the Firebird.

https://youtu.be/YQxPZSKdjJU

I think you hit it on the nose there with your analysis. (FYI: had trouble viewing the embedded link on DGCR, but the direct link worked on youtube.)

Discussions about disc selection are always dry, because you really need to qualify your statements with how much power you have, what you're expecting that slot to do for you... Notch is great for lower power throwers who want to start throwing an overstable fairway. Many people already have the Firebird in mind when you start talking about overstable fairways, so those individuals are going to be let down by the Notch. I haven't been let down, because it's really helped me iron out my forehand form, because it's slower than the o-Lace or Solace, which translates to consistency for me.

Last edited:
Fixed the link for you.

I found one of these today in the Pennywise the Clown sewer at the local and gave it a few tugs.

It felt like a Vibram Teebird in the hand. It's pretty much like a Teebird but shorter. I bet it's also a but sturdier. Going to see if I can stick this in the bag and maybe the other Teebirds will accept it into their circle. :D

Fr tho, if it demonstrates some killer HW indifference, I might bag it. Probably not, since it can't be replaced, but maybe for fun.

I found one of these today in the Pennywise the Clown sewer at the local and gave it a few tugs.

It felt like a Vibram Teebird in the hand. It's pretty much like a Teebird but shorter. I bet it's also a but sturdier. Going to see if I can stick this in the bag and maybe the other Teebirds will accept it into their circle. :D

Fr tho, if it demonstrates some killer HW indifference, I might bag it. Probably not, since it can't be replaced, but maybe for fun.

The Notch I presume?

The tester Arch that I had flew like a Teebird. I lost it at Lime Kiln several years ago. I miss that disc.

The Notch/Arch were (are if you can find them) a nice paring of fairway drivers. The Notch was a bit more stable, but not a meat hook. And as always, the Vibram medium is probably the most durable material that a disc golf disc was ever made out of!

So...good find!

Latest posts