• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New013 goes to Austin, TX

New013

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Sooooo I'm flying in to Austin on Thursday for Psych Fest. I hopefully have time to play two courses before I go to the festival around lunch on Friday. I will have a rental car until I get to the festival and I'll be with another guy who is not a real big disc golfer but he can play decently.

What two courses should I play? Roy G is like 2 miles from where I'll be and the other two in my head were Circle C or East Metro but I don't really know anything about round times or navigation so any info would be helpful. Also are there huge lost disc potentials at any of these places, should I bring some backups and would a simple 5 or 6 disc bag really cut it?

One other thing to keep in mind is I might have time to leave the festival around dawn and go play somewhere if I can get a cab or something.

Last question, I know I'm being needy... What is there to do in Austin in the night time besides get wasted and bar hop?

Sooooo I'm flying in to Austin on Thursday for Psych Fest. I hopefully have time to play two courses before I go to the festival around lunch on Friday. I will have a rental car until I get to the festival and I'll be with another guy who is not a real big disc golfer but he can play decently.

What two courses should I play? Roy G is like 2 miles from where I'll be and the other two in my head were Circle C or East Metro but I don't really know anything about round times or navigation so any info would be helpful. Also are there huge lost disc potentials at any of these places, should I bring some backups and would a simple 5 or 6 disc bag really cut it?

One other thing to keep in mind is I might have time to leave the festival around dawn and go play somewhere if I can get a cab or something.

Last question, I know I'm being needy... What is there to do in Austin in the night time besides get wasted and bar hop?

East Metro has potential for lost plastic somewhat if you arent willing to search the extreme ruffage (ie. Cactus patches) however most of the time if you pay attention to the general area the disc flys to and have a bit of patience you can find what you throw.

Roy G, well I have never seen a disc lost, but I guess its possible if a really bad shank.

Circle C is a must play! One of my all time top 3 courses.

I know I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this, but I think Roy G. is a bit overrated.

Roy G. might take awhile depending on how crowded it is. I've experienced some ridiculously large groups and that combined with the double whammy of the distance and woodedness of some of the holes can make for some major bottle necks.

I'm a big fan of Searight, and it'll play quicker than Circle C/Roy G.

I'm heading to Austin the first week of June. I hope to get 1 maybe 2 rounds in while I'm there. Any of y'all know how crowded Roy G or Circle C are early on weekday mornings?

IMO you need to focus more on trolling and flaming people on here, rather than focusing on your personal life. You were the prerube of the flamejob for a while and it was hilarious.

I agree with lowracks though in that Roy G is a bit underwhelming playwise. Much prefer East Metro or Ridge (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3694) though Ridge is NOT easy and you'll want a map or guide for sure. Both of these options have a bit more elevation changes and water hazards as well whereas Roy G is pretty flat and is a lot of tunnel shots. The teepads and everything are really great there though.

Metcenter is also pretty close to Psych Fest if you need to play a closer course instead of getting to travel to E Metro or Circ C. Not much shade at Metcenter so bring water and it can get muddy after rains. E Metro has some great shots and is one of my top courses in town but like Moon said the roughs are ROUGH. Mesquite thorns, cactus and thick cedar line most of the fairways. Pretty much everything wants to stab or bite you. Rattlesnakes have been seen out there as well so be smart in the rough. Grab a stick and make noise if you go in there. Even with all that it is such a great course though.

So Roy G if you want tight lines and Metcenter if you want to air it out a bit more...although you'll get tight lines also (especially hole 1.)

For what to do in town visit http://www.austinchronicle.com or pick up a Chronicle pretty much any place in town.

@BamaJuggs Weekday mornings will be fine at either. Courses will get more crowded in the afternoons.

As far as round times...none of them are quick courses. Circle C is probably fastest. Metcenter next. East Metro, Ridge and Roy G are probably next. Roy is just a long course and there are a lot of trees. Ridge is rugged. East Metro has the roughs.

Searight is shorter and has more ace runs. Bartholomew has 15 holes but you can play the first 3 twice for a full 18. It's the oldest course in TX, easy to get to but has crap dirt tees/ruts and the baskets are old. Supposedly this is next to get the revamp so maybe wait for that one since it has a lot of promise.

Disc Nation is really close to Searight also so you can do some disc shopping if you need to.

My trip to Austin was amazing, you locals have one hell of a place to live. I instantly fell in love with the place in a very short time. The downtown scene is great and there is a great culture throughout the city. I met a lot of really nice new friends and will definitely be going back as soon as possible to play some more and explore the area.

The only drawbacks for me personally is how ungodly dry everything is and how long the line is at Franklin's... well the interstate system was super confusing as well.

I ended up playing Circle C and Roy G, both fantastic courses. I think I ended up liking Circle C a little better, it seemed to have a bit more variety and character. Roy G was just a brutally long course and beautiful at the same time. I really like the landscape in that part of the country it's not something I've seen to much of. I can also say that even as a NC guy the rough there is ridiculous, pitch out city.

I had a guide for Circle C; Mike was his name I believe. I owe that guy a huge thanks because that would be a hard course to play blind. I really wish we had some courses around here like Circle C because we're in short supply of badass par 4 and 5's. 18 there really might be the best par 5 I've ever played and I ended up taking a 4 which I was told was one hell of a score for the first time.

Hopefully next time I get down that way I can get more courses in and enjoy more of the city. Also if you're local and have never gone to Joe's on 7th street for mexican breakfast you are missing out.

Last edited:
Texas 'cue is better than NC 'cue isn't it? :popcorn:

My taste buds appreciate both...

..and **** no it isn't.

Glad you enjoyed Circle C! Happy to call it my home course. It's a fine course in its own little world.

It's a hell of a course. I drove right past DiscNation and really wanted to stop but I was on a deadline to return my rental car before they charged me for another day.

Texas rough is legendary, you are lucky you didn't discover Texas mud. East coast woods rules! :)

It's a hell of a course. I drove right past DiscNation and really wanted to stop but I was on a deadline to return my rental car before they charged me for another day.

Indeed! Well you didn't miss me or ZJ; I left DN after Xmas and he works at the other (warehouse) location. But you'd have enjoyed driving range testing for sure.

Circle C is deceptively long if you check out an aerial. It goes around a sizable park space without being in the middle of anything. I usually hit it in the mornings when it's semi-empty... it's like a portal into Narnia... maybe four times you see civilization during the route. Super chill.

Latest posts