• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie Forum Info.

I started playing again at the beginning of this summer and got out about 5 times. I had stopped playing for a number of years to play soccer. Both my soccer "career" and ACL ended in July. I am now attempting a return to disc golf. It will be slow going and this forum has been a life saver on my long days of recovery. I'm hoping to return to competitive play in the spring. I took a bunch of pictures of my discs and posted them in my page here.

It is fun seeing how the discs, players and game have changed over the years of my absence.

Thank you all for the distraction!

I can throw my comet about 170' now, I think. That is my max D.

I started playing disc golf in 6th grade (I'll be 30 in a couple of weeks) and tore my hip flexor my junior year of high school - I was ambitious about my scholarship I already had (that was revoked) and playing in the future. If I wasn't chasing tail or playing soccer I was discing. It was tough man, but continuing to disc golf was one of the best things for me physically and mentally after all of that rehab/learning to walk again/time off. Hell I was even a sweeper on two regionally ranked 3-4-1-2 teams:hfive:

Glad to hear your positivity! Keep throwing. Maybe even pick up an adult league [soccer] eventually...don't beat yourself up for not throwing far. How long until your ACL is "fully healed" do you know?

GE! Thanks for responding. I owe you some context. I'm 46. I played soccer in high school as a center mid that refused to play defense or head the ball. I played men's league and intramurals in college and stopped playing when I was 28 (mostly forward.) At 40 I started playing after 12 years off and suspended my disc golf "career" to keep peace with the lady. I was reasonably successful adult league player as the worlds slowest, defensively responsible, winger. Being able to cross with both feet seems to be a rare skill. Who knew?

This summer I started throwing a little and went to a couple weeklies. I was told I should be able to run in about a year and play soccer in 18 months to be safe. I don't know if I'm going to go back though.

I have always really enjoyed disc golf and since there is no running, I might be able to play much sooner at a competitive level. I need the competition. I've played sports at some level my entire life and not playing something is killing my soul.

I love that you included the formation of your teams! My men's team plays a 352. We have tried other setups, but no matter where we stand at the beginning of the game and what we say we are going to play, it winds up the same after 12 minutes.

Hello, DGCR! I have a question about the forum. What are the credentials /prerequisite for sending PM's? Do I need to have a certain amount of posts or what? I cant seem to send PM's.

You should be able to send PM's. There is a limit to how many you can send quickly at once, but other than that there is no restriction.

Brand new

Brand new here...only played 3 times ever. This seems to be a good place to find information about courses. Have found that there are definitely more around than I thought!

Brand new here...only played 3 times ever. This seems to be a good place to find information about courses. Have found that there are definitely more around than I thought!

Welcome! The course finder and reviews are what brought me to DGCR too. I noticed Dorsey's Knob in Morgantown WV is one of your played courses. Hope you enjoyed WV disc golf, and enjoy getting to know this great game.

Welcome fellow Marylander! Lots of fun courses in the middle of the state, too (some more friendly to new players than others). :)

I'm a new player that has gotten in deep with this sport so far. Eating up YouTube videos and practicing whenever work and family allows for time. Open to any and all advice.

I live in central Mississippi and except for the constant rain we've had lately, Mississippi allows for outdoor sports to be played pretty much all year. So I'm looking forward to playing more.

Old man, bucket list wish fulfillment, Stoked!

Hi everybody,
59 year old, Tye Dyed Hippie Guy.
Life has been good to me so far. Lots of hobbies, many outdoor related.
Retired electronics tech, currently part time musician (hope to resume after CoronaVirus outbreak).

Disc golf has been on my wish list for 20 years, recently found a course by accident, in a nearby park (Shady Oaks, in Orangevale, California).
Gave it a try with my old Frisbee, and fell in love with the sport.
Now hooked, watching YouTube vids, searching the web for noob information, and courses.
Stumbled across this website/forum, and subscribed.
Lots of helpful, and interesting information/stories.

Can practice with my new discs, at local soccer field, but have to wait until after CoronaVirus outbreak is over, before I can resume playing at local courses :\
Reading here, helps me learn/improve, in times when I can't go out and play.

Thanks much to the Forum creators, moderators, and contributors.
Stay safe and healthy everyone, best wishes <3

Introduction

Hey Y'all,

Name is Jeremy and I am very new to the sport. My friends have been playing for a long time so I am receiving decent instruction (along with countless hours of youtube)

So far I thoroughly enjoy playing and learning about it. The people I have met when playing are always super nice while I suck it up and slow their rounds down. That has been a lot of the reason this sport is so fun for me. Most everything else I have played in my life has been about "I am the best and only want to look out for myself" where as DG is the exact opposite. It seems like every person I encounter genuinely wants to help me grow and learn, which is AWESOME.

As for a question... I am using a hammydown putter that I believe to be a "stiff Judge" (based on what someone else told me). However, I am wanting to grab some new putters but really have no clue where to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks for letting me join the group!

As for a question... I am using a hammydown putter that I believe to be a "stiff Judge" (based on what someone else told me). However, I am wanting to grab some new putters but really have no clue where to start. Any suggestions?

Welcome! I am also relatively new to the sport, but here is what I have learned so far on selecting a putter.

As you go forward, you'll find that putting is a the most individual and unique aspect of disc golf. Every pro seems to have a slightly different way of putting (even though there is a lot in common between) them. That, plus everyone having different, unique hands, means putters are definite individual choice.

So, that said, the best thing to do is get a bunch of different putter molds and try them out. Don't go for the expensive "premium" plastics, the "base" plastic for putters tends to be the most commonly used for putting putters anyway.

Depending on whether you have a disc golf store locally, the best thing may be to try a bunch of used putters, potentially on any practice basket they have. Then pick several that feel the best and give them a try on the course.

I would suggest sticking to putters in the 173-174 gram range that is most typical for putters. Lighter putters will tend to react poorly to wind.

What I did when I started was buy every Discraft putter mold (except, for some reason, the Banger). I bought them new from discsunlimited, just because I'm not too budget conscious about disc golf, and I didn't know any better. I figured that their molds probably covered the gamut in terms of most common putters. I ended up with the Challenger, which is one of the older putters out there. Sometimes the classics have stuck around for a good reason. :D

Hello

New here but not totally to the sport. I had high blood pressure and a stagnant lifestyle for 20 years or more; ironically the virus has allowed me to return to it so I converted a 10 acre lot behind my property into a makeshift 9-hole, par 3s and 4s. Been playing 2-3 times a day, lost 10 pounds sweating in MS heat and blood pressure down to safe levels. It's a beautiful sport

I'm a new player that has gotten in deep with this sport so far. Eating up YouTube videos and practicing whenever work and family allows for time. Open to any and all advice.

I live in central Mississippi and except for the constant rain we've had lately, Mississippi allows for outdoor sports to be played pretty much all year. So I'm looking forward to playing more.

Cap Tan - I'm in Hattiesburg, following a similar path loving the sport

Hello

New here but not totally to the sport. I had high blood pressure and a stagnant lifestyle for 20 years or more; ironically the virus has allowed me to return to it so I converted a 10 acre lot behind my property into a makeshift 9-hole, par 3s and 4s. Been playing 2-3 times a day, lost 10 pounds sweating in MS heat and blood pressure down to safe levels. It's a beautiful sport

I played so much freestyle in the 80s and 90s some of my best memories ever, then adulting began and between work and family I became too stagnant. I played disc golf around atlanta for maybe 2 years 87, 88ish but that was it. I'm coming back around now and having a blast.

Cap Tan - I'm in Hattiesburg, following a similar path loving the sport.

Hey Y'all,

Name is Jeremy and I am very new to the sport. My friends have been playing for a long time so I am receiving decent instruction (along with countless hours of youtube)

So far I thoroughly enjoy playing and learning about it. The people I have met when playing are always super nice while I suck it up and slow their rounds down. That has been a lot of the reason this sport is so fun for me. Most everything else I have played in my life has been about "I am the best and only want to look out for myself" where as DG is the exact opposite. It seems like every person I encounter genuinely wants to help me grow and learn, which is AWESOME.

I'm knew to DG as well...in my short experience, buy several identical putters and practice with that. I bought a 5 pack of Wardens off Amazon and no regerts. ;)

Alternatively, Innova Aviar appears to be the basis for all putters. Grab a bunch of DX Aviars and throw. Throw everything. Putts. Backhand. Forehand. etc. More throws = better.

Focus on your technique more than outcome (distance).

Throw, throw, throw. The more you throw, the more you know.

Ask your friends if you can try their putters. That would give you a feel for different types. You need to find out:

Do you like beaded or no bead putters?
Do you like soft, gummy putters or (gonna get laughs or groans with this) hard, stiff putters?
Do you like domey or flat putters?
Do you prefer stable, overstable, understable putters?

Knowing those options will help you in selecting the best putter for you.

and to add to my previous post....

The Judge is 2/4/0/1. So it is pretty stable.

If you like the Judge, why not stick with it and get newer ones?

Saying hello

Hello everyone. I am new to the sport and the site as well. The site is very helpful and am loving learning the sport. If anyone in the Livingston/Bozeman MT. Area is interested in playing a round on the courses in this area just shoot me a message.

Things newbs (like me) wanna know...

1) UDisc app on your phone is pretty much a must have. Great for a variety of DG related services such as locating courses, keeping scores, and navigating courses.
2) I want to play in tournaments...when and where? UDisc has some of that. PDGA.com as well. Facebook is kind of the hub for local DG clubs, so go there and search for disc golf if you are looking for locals. MOST DG courses are in public parks and the upkeep is generally done by the local club so support them if you can.
3) Speaking of PDGA...most events are PDGA sanctioned. PDGA membership is very common for tournament players. You get a discount on sanctioned events and UDisc Pro is included in membership. PDGA.com is where you will find the rules for disc golf as well.
4) Of course this IS DGCR...you will find reviews of most courses here. Most DGers like to play new courses when they travel. If you post a thread in the forums, you will get tons of feedback about the best courses in a given area.

These are all things that I've learned in my short time here so just passing it on.

Stay away from political or strong opinionated posts. You'll find yourself embattled in a debate and just when you think you have the upper hand you'll realize your social reach in said debate(s) are only about 10-12 people who's minds were made up a very...long...time...before you even started.

Latest posts