• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No 10 Meter Circle

Should we:

• Eliminate the 10m Circle

Votes: 61 24.6%
  • Keep the 10m Circle as is

Votes: 147 59.3%
  • Allow course designers to designate custom areas where stand-still putting is required

Votes: 28 11.3%
  • Players can jump from behind their lie and shoot before touching down.

Votes: 12 4.8%

• Total voters
For it.

Im 6'6" and with a pretty big wingspan. Without the 10m rule, I could literally just fall over and slam dunk any 8' or shorter putt. Thats kinda stupid if you and me.

But you wouldn't. Because you already make 8' putts without adding risk of injury.

I bet you already reach out and drop in 4' putts, so we're talking about 4' of difference here.

Last edited:
They are seen differently because you can keep the momentum going forward more with a follow through putt, which is more accurate, so it's seen as cheating. I think the circle should be 50' so there is a definite gap between jump putt and standing putt. At least if they are jumping they are at a more challenging distance. Are you allowed to do a run up in Golf? Why are we allowed to then?

I think ball golfers can run up if they want to. It just wouldn't be very practical in that sport.

But you wouldn't. Because you already make 8' putts without adding risk of injury.

I bet you already reach out and drop in 4' putts, so we're talking about 4' of difference here.

Even more, that 8' would require falling down, which people won't do. Realistically, it'll only stretch the 4' into 6' as people lean in.

That's a small sacrifice to get rid of a rule complication.

Did you know basketball players can jump while shooting free throws? They never do though, because a stationary shot is more accurate. I think we would see this in DG too. People would have the ability to jump putt from 15', but they'll discover they are often more accurate not to.

Why the heck would it injure me. And I don't now about you but Ive missed 8' putts before. So I would be doing it, especially if it is windy.

Eliminating the 10-meter circle is a key element in my platform in my campaign to be named Rules Czar. (A campaign that hasn't seemed to gain any traction yet).

Why the heck would it injure me. And I don't now about you but Ive missed 8' putts before. So I would be doing it, especially if it is windy.

Because I foresee some course designer planting 5' rings of cacti around baskets.

Eliminating the 10-meter circle is a key element in my platform in my campaign to be named Rules Czar. (A campaign that hasn't seemed to gain any traction yet).

I'd sign that petition today.

My preference would be that the rule be changed to allow jumping in any direction where your last point of contact before releasing the throw still has to be on your 30cm mark and you have to release the throw before making contact again with the playing surface. I think that would add an athletic element to the game for some types of throws such as leaping sideways from behind a bush before throwing.

This would be fantastic.

Jump putting is harder to enforce than the 10m circle for two reaons.

1. The determination can be made prior to the throw. The thrower can ask if he's in or out. This gives the group an opportunity to come to a consensus and make a definitive ruling prior to any throw being made. Sure, the difference between 10m and 9.9m may be hard to eyeball, but at least you can get group consensus easily.
2. Even if a consensus isn't reached prior to the throw, the lie is still on the ground and can be evaluated after the fact.

Jump putting is all about timing of both the plant foot leaving the ground, and the first contact in front of the lie. To enforce the jump putt rule, the rest of the card needs to watch very carefully for timing of release of the disc vs foot contact with the ground. There is no opportunity to review it rationally after the fact. If someone makes a call, it's entirely based on recollection which means it can lead to some heated arguments that can not be resolved with reason.

The closer you get to the basket, the more advantage there is to be had by leaving the ground, or following through a little too early. For a fairway shot, the advantage is negligible, at 10' it's huge.

It's impractical to force every shot to have no follow through, so you have to draw a line somewhere. Currently that line is at 10 meters. It's far enough out that watching the intricate timing details becomes less necessary, but close enough that it can still be eyeballed fairly reasonably.

That argument is one we have for every shot a player takes. I don't see a way around that argument. What I do see a way around is the "Am I outside?" debate and "Why are shots inside the circle seen differently than those inside?"

Probably because we were trying to replicate Ball Golf and creating a "green".

For this reason I like the idea of letting the course designer create a green as someone said before. Whatever line is on the ground is official and where ever the course designer wants to put that line let it be. That really would allow for some seriously interesting and challenging holes.

See the hole in the attached image. You can NOT step through if you land inside the "green" On a calm day there might not be too much difference but if the wind is up you might want to try to park the dangerous side by the water to have a chance at a 10 foot putt where you can step through. I think it give course designers a tool that they are lacking and is a huuuge part of ball golf course design.

Attachments

• Defined Putting Green.png
    Defined Putting Green.png
    22 KB · Views: 37
Jump putting is harder to enforce than the 10m circle for two reaons.

1. The determination can be made prior to the throw. The thrower can ask if he's in or out. This gives the group an opportunity to come to a consensus and make a definitive ruling prior to any throw being made. Sure, the difference between 10m and 9.9m may be hard to eyeball, but at least you can get group consensus easily.
2. Even if a consensus isn't reached prior to the throw, the lie is still on the ground and can be evaluated after the fact.

Jump putting is all about timing of both the plant foot leaving the ground, and the first contact in front of the lie. To enforce the jump putt rule, the rest of the card needs to watch very carefully for timing of release of the disc vs foot contact with the ground. There is no opportunity to review it rationally after the fact. If someone makes a call, it's entirely based on recollection which means it can lead to some heated arguments that can not be resolved with reason.

The closer you get to the basket, the more advantage there is to be had by leaving the ground, or following through a little too early. For a fairway shot, the advantage is negligible, at 10' it's huge.

It's impractical to force every shot to have no follow through, so you have to draw a line somewhere. Currently that line is at 10 meters. It's far enough out that watching the intricate timing details becomes less necessary, but close enough that it can still be eyeballed fairly reasonably.

These are good thoughts, but I would ask:

Do you think Top Pros would start to make this their putting style inside of 20'? Right now I think the jump putt is in use because it allows you to put more power behind a longer shot. Shorter shots don't need the extra power, and instead (like free-throws) rely more on being able to reproduce the movement.

What you are saying might affect the intermediate level players where a 2' difference is worth the risk, but do you think it'll drastically change the strategy of the best in our sport?

These are good thoughts, but I would ask:

Do you think Top Pros would start to make this their putting style inside of 20'? Right now I think the jump putt is in use because it allows you to put more power behind a longer shot. Shorter shots don't need the extra power, and instead (like free-throws) rely more on being able to reproduce the movement.

What you are saying might affect the intermediate level players where a 2' difference is worth the risk, but do you think it'll drastically change the strategy of the best in our sport?

Yes, some top pros would start using a jump or walking putt inside the circle if allowed.

And the rulebook needs to be written to cover all levels of disc golf. Eliminating the circle under the justification of "well the pros don't use it anyway" is ludicrous. How often do you see the circle being a point of contention among the top players??

I guess I just don't see a good enough reason to eliminate people's options arbitrarily at 10 meters.

Simplify the rule book if you can.

Yes, some top pros would start using a jump or walking putt inside the circle if allowed.

And the rulebook needs to be written to cover all levels of disc golf. Eliminating the circle under the justification of "well the pros don't use it anyway" is ludicrous. How often do you see the circle being a point of contention among the top players??

And those tricky putts inside of 10m where you are on a knee putting under a tree would get significantly easier because you would be able to fall forward after the putt.

I guess I just don't see a good enough reason to eliminate people's options arbitrarily at 10 meters.

Simplify the rule book if you can.

As I pointed out before, it simplifies the rulebook but complicates the enforcement.

And those tricky putts inside of 10m where you are on a knee putting under a tree would get significantly easier because you would be able to fall forward after the putt.

A shot like that is already easier at 35', why not allow it at 28', or 14', or 4'?

My preference would be that the rule be changed to allow jumping in any direction where your last point of contact before releasing the throw still has to be on your 30cm mark and you have to release the throw before making contact again with the playing surface. I think that would add an athletic element to the game for some types of throws such as leaping sideways from behind a bush before throwing.

So I could take a running start headed perpendicular to the line of play, plant my foot behind the mark and jump off of that contact point, fly through the air and have a clear shot at the basket while airborn to get around a tree or bush, as long as I release the disc before landing?

I'm totally in favor.

Latest posts