• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Swope 'Folf' Course Score Card

We went to a game that summer against the White Sox. Mark Gubicza gave up a double to Carlton Fisk to break up a 2-2 tie in the top of the 8th, but Danny Tartabull took Bobby Thigpen deep to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th. The stands started to thin out in extras so we moved down to seats right behind home. Bo Jackson lead off the 11th. I forget the pitcher. I remember the sound. I've been to 100's of big league ball games, seen dozens of big-time mashers. I've never heard a sound like that. Not before, not since. The ball landed in the grassy side between the bullpen and the fountain in left before I had time to stand up. Frozen rope. Hardest damn baseball I ever saw anyone hit.

I lived in Columbia then, so I could either/or to St. Louis or KC. I'm a lifelong Cardinals fan. I used to go to KC for the ballgame 75% of the time back then. You had to. You never knew what you were going to see that guy do, and chances were that he was going to do something you might never see anyone do ever again.

Last edited:
I still remember seeing Hal McRae and Greg Luzinski square off in a pre game Home Run Derby back in '84 or so. As you might expect Luzinski won.

The next day, my brother decided to get us tickets right behind the visitors dugout. Mind you it was August and between all that concrete and the field (which back then was old school astroturf) it must have been 125 degrees in those stands.

Then the game went 16 innings. Only time in my life I've seen a 14th inning stretch.

That stadium was funny with the old AstroTurf and the glare off of it. I sat in GA in right for a day game against Toronto one day, and I was keeping score. You could not see any scoreboard. The big board in center was totally washed out from the glare. About three innings in I was the only person in the section who had any idea what the score was.

It's a much nicer place to watch a ballgame now. Funny thing was that so many places had bad stadiums in the 80's that Royals Stadium seemed like a really nice place to watch a ballgame then. Busch Stadium had the old, worn out AstroTurf; when someone hit a white baseball against it you could not see where the ball was. You had to watch the players move and guess. I hear people bitch about hockey and not being able to see the puck all the time, but I grew up watching baseball on that old washed-out carpet so it never seemed weird to me at all.

In 1986 my Junior year in HS one of my teachers was good friends with Lance Parrish of the Tigers. He gave us his tickets right behind the Tiger dugout. That night Bo went 4-4. Homer, Triple and 2 Singles. Just missed a cycle. He hit that homer so high I didn't think there was anyway it was getting out but it just kept going. Crushed. I think he might of gunned somebody out at 2nd or 3rd as well that night. Glad I was able to see the Legend in person.

Last edited:

Latest posts