• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA World Championships 2022

Shallows' posts became so much more fun to read once I realized that he's literally just a straight troll account. I do get a laugh out of these. :thmbup:

But he DO have a point. . Kona demanded to get paid the same as Kristin. . should´nt DD Demand her to preform better than 39 throws behing Kristin over four round?

But then Discgolf is not a normal job . .but in most cases if you demand a high pay, the employer demands that you preform

Holyns game looks strong, to bad she hade that terrible R1 . . but a player to look for in the years to come.

But he DO have a point. . Kona demanded to get paid the same as Kristin. . should´nt DD Demand her to preform better than 39 throws behing Kristin over four round?

But then Discgolf is not a normal job . .but in most cases if you demand a high pay, the employer demands that you preform

Their performance isn't winning, their performance is selling discs. Neither are getting paid to play disc golf, they're getting paid to generate sales.

Hmm the pools mess things up but shouldnt Calvin be on the lead card? He had a better round at Jones than Tristan But Tristans 3rd round at Country Club was better tan Calvins 2nd round. . .but should not the Jones round be the desider?

Hmm the pools mess things up but shouldnt Calvin be on the lead card? He had a better round at Jones than Tristan But Tristans 3rd round at Country Club was better tan Calvins 2nd round. . .but should not the Jones round be the desider?

Calvin is on the lead card according to Udisc.

Yes i see that now but i could have sworn that he was not a few minutes ago..wierd

When scores are tied, lower PDGA # is what determines card and/or tee order.

Couldn't help but notice #962 played in this event.

Lol.

This is sports. If you get a guaranteed contract, you get paid. Sports is littered with people who got a big fat contract, were subsequently terrible on the field of play, didn't perform anywhere close to what was expected, and still got paid. If disc golf is going to go this way of the big $ sponsorships, you inevitably are going to get those. They happen in every other sport, so why would we think disc golf would be immune?

Lol.

This is sports. If you get a guaranteed contract, you get paid. Sports is littered with people who got a big fat contract, were subsequently terrible on the field of play, didn't perform anywhere close to what was expected, and still got paid. If disc golf is going to go this way of the big $ sponsorships, you inevitably are going to get those. They happen in every other sport, so why would we think disc golf would be immune?

People hate to see a girl boss winning

really? :\

mVj8e1c.jpg

Lol.

It's not even really sports though. This is sponsorship money. It's money paid for a sales job essentially. If DD thought I could generate them $10 million/year in additional revenue because I do a lot of TikTok/Facebook/social media, they'd pay me regardless of how terrible my tournament performance might be. Likewise if I won every tournament ever played but was a horribly offensive human being that nobody wanted to buy discs from...they wouldn't.

Sport performance is only relevant to sponsorship deals in terms of how well it can drive sales.

All of that to say, Kona could stink it up completely on the course forever...none of that matters to her sponsorship deal if she is driving the sales they expected her to. Tattar could crush it on the course forever, none that mattes to her sponsorship deal if she isn't driving the sales they expected her to. This isn't a team sport to perform athletically.

Who are most surprised to see struggling in MPO to this point?

I'm going to say Dickerson. I would have expected him to be near the top. Eagle dealing with injury and not throwing forehands limits expectations to me.

Maybe Kevin Jones.

Last edited:
Who are most surprised to see struggling in MPO to this point?

I'm going to say Dickerson. I would have expected him to be near the top. Eagle dealing with injury and not throwing forehands limits expectations to me.

Maybe Kevin Jones.

Simon, KJ and Conrad. .but many players struggling i would not have guessed the top 5 in a miljon tryes

Deservedly so. That is way overstepping the bounds of being a spotter.

FYI, at the player meeting they announced that on some specific holes the marshal might be serving a dual role as both marshal and spotter. Don't know if this was one.

I just watched it for the first time. Is the drop zone the same for MPO and FPO? Last year the drop zone was by the creek and a pretty challenging throw. This year it's ~10' from the island? I'm not sure how anyone is making a 6 or 7 on that. With that DZ, I would never layup. Sure, likely to miss the island, but looks like a 4 should be about the worst case.

The throw from the layup (far side of the creek) is risky.

If they get anything beyond a 5 they are not playing like a pro.

It's a 5 round event. For the top players, there's still the equivalent of a whole tournament left to go.

On courses with lots of OB, and known for windy conditions. A lot can happen during over the next 3 rounds.

Could be 2 strokes separating three players through the 16th hole of the final round, or someone could win by a bunch of strokes.

Sit back and enjoy the show!
:popcorn:

Exactly!

except today is moving day.

At some point during the round today DGN posted up some graphic of the FPO leader board showing Kristin having an 86% chance to win. I don't know what formula they were using (probably something involving ratings, I imagine) but Lordy did I do a double take.

It was in the 90s IIRC. Where can I bet the field for those odds?

At one point yesterday she was at 86% to win, and the player in 2nd was at 1% or less than 1%. They weren't more than 2 strokes behind.

It's not even a gambling thing though, it's UDisc odds that they generate in some way. I'm guessing their predictive abilities at UDisc for odds aren't very good...it isn't really their primary, or secondary, or tertiary business.

Well, Steve West generates those scoring tracks for every tournament based on rating. And, IIRC, we know something about score likelihood based on rating as well (certainly not hard to calculate a distribution of scores based on rating).

Buuutttt ... I don't think that really translates to making these kinds of predictions. I don't think it makes sense for Doss to call tournaments "over" with 3 holes to go, let alone 4 rounds.

Henna in the lead at 9% to win, , and Paige at 9%?!? i would have Paige at +40%

After 3 stellar rounds AG is only given a 5% chance at the W.

And the Eagle stat jumped out at me as well. Matty O is one stroke behind Calvin and Ricky, but essentially the same win percentage? I like Matty, but if history and major wins are significant factors, I don't see how he can be even with Calvin. ... Definitely should have some damping factors on those picks.

As far as the win percentages go, specifically Gossage's being lower than what people would expect…

I'm guessing somehow the stats are looking at his previous scores and round ratings, and comparing that to his overall rating to determine a probability of him maintaining those kind of scores for the last two rounds.

Essentially he's been playing beyond his rating and he's due for a round not as hot and fall off the pace, where McBeth's overall rating is showing a much better likelihood of keeping a hot hand, thus the higher winning percentage....

Wow. Have any of these comments aged well? KT is what 97% now? Yeah I am sure there are takers. Here's the deal as I see it. Many dg'ers don't like ratings but the truth is the more rounds you play the closer you are going to get to your average rating. (Maybe a young player on the "upswing" of his career is different because ratings are historical, but that's a select few.) AG has gone +30, 31, & 35 points over his rating in the three rounds. PmcB has gone +7, 3. & 24. For AG to win, if Paul just averages his rating, the AG would have to shoot another two rounds at +26 points over his rating (or 21 and beat Paul in a playoff). That's why the odds are as they are. The chances of AG having a 5-round tourney at +30, +31,+35, +26, AND +26 are nowhere near the odds of Paul just shooting his rating. It's also why (currently) MattyO, Ricky, and Calvin are just as close on the predictor as AG. And that's just the math. None of that takes into account experience in big situations, understanding the magnitude, desire, etc. Is it possible for AG or Clemonade to win? -- oh yeah, absolutely it is. But it would be an upset among those great upsets in the history of all sports.
I mean the USA's college kids beat the Russian professionals in the 1980 Olympic hockey match didn't they?

BTW, I wonder not how close the
SteveWest said:
predictions might be.

I can't help but pull for PP to get her 6th X. Especially after missing out on a Worlds opportunity due to the pandemic in the prime of her career.

Kristin also missed out that year, and it was in her prime. She's only a year (I think) younger than Paige. She might have been going for 2x this year. The Finns are the true youngsters.

What's the cut for FPO final 9?

Jen, no more Final 9s (the old fashioned way) at Worlds. They are playing one final round of 18.

I suspect a certain 4x world champion and PDGA board member still has a few cards up her sleeve.

You missed on that troll attempt. Get the facts right before trolling.

Stop spreading that falsity. Kona didn't demand anything. And anyone who thinks that the DD leadership believed a 945 player like KP was going to suddenly be a 970-980 player by the addition of money has a low opinion of their ability to evaluate talent.

Last edited:

Latest posts