• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing while letting people play through? Yes or No?

LeewayeDiscGolf

Double Eagle Member
Wanna get your input on playing as you let a group play through. I've experienced this many times. A group will wave you through because they are talking or looking for a disc, etc. As you get partway down the hole they proceed to start playing the hole as you are playing it. Personally I don't like it. I feel that if you are gonna let someone play through, let them clear the hole, then continue playing. What's your opinion?

Yeah, not the worst thing in the world, depending on how they do it (throwing on you is definitely not cool, obv) but its nice to let you hole out first.

Yeah. If I'm letting them play through I'll let them finish out the hole and get by.

Wanna get your input on playing as you let a group play through. I've experienced this many times. A group will wave you through because they are talking or looking for a disc, etc. As you get partway down the hole they proceed to start playing the hole as you are playing it. Personally I don't like it. I feel that if you are gonna let someone play through, let them clear the hole, then continue playing. What's your opinion?

I've never even seen this happen.

I've never even seen this happen.

It happens on crowded courses...I've had it happen to me a couple of times. Usually it's because another group is coming up hard behind and the people who let you play through probably don't want to let everyone play through.

Heh. I said, "coming up hard behind." :p

Agree completely. Otherwise its a little confusing--you don't know if they changed their minds or if you misinterpreted their gesture to allow you to play through.

It all depends on the hole, the hole set up, and how crowded the course is.
The more crowded the course is, the more likely I would be to do it. I have let people play through before and basically just play the hole with them sometimes. Especially if it's just me and another person and we let a single play through....sometimes we just end up joining up and playing together.
That actually happens pretty frequently while i'm playing by myself...a twosome or threesome will just ask me if I want to join up with them as I am playing through, and unless I am in a hurry I usually will...met a lot of cool people that way....

Ive had it happen, it bugs me because usually theyy throw when you allreyd passed their discs, so you got to watch out for their throws.

I look at course crowding the same way as I look at traffic on the freeway. Everyone has a responsibility to alleviate bottlenecks. If you see people catching up on you in either circumstance, pull over into the slow lane and let them through. If you're catching up on them, ask to play through, and if you can't, do something to occupy your time while waiting. If the hole you just finished is still empty, hell play it again, or at least get some putting practice on the basket.

A few nights ago while traveling, I was playing a course in another town when I came upon a sixsome. They allowed me to play through (didn't even have to ask), but I figured the best policy would be to tee off on that hole together, and then very quickly let me take my upshot, putt out, and move on to the next hole, while they putted out. Worked out very well.

A few nights ago while traveling, I was playing a course in another town when I came upon a sixsome. They allowed me to play through (didn't even have to ask), but I figured the best policy would be to tee off on that hole together, and then very quickly let me take my upshot, putt out, and move on to the next hole, while they putted out. Worked out very well.

In most situations of playing through, I do what Scarpfish does and play with your group if teeing off. If you are letting a group play through, it wastes time to play along in a then bigger group, but it's still not much of a big deal. Other than that, Scarpfish' quote.

If I'm on a tee box and let someone play through, I let them play through and clear the hole, unless (1) it's an extremely long hole and they're well beyond the point at which any conceivable drive of mine would reach within 75-100 ft of them, AND (2) the course is crowded enough that there's another group or singleton closing in behind us.

If I'm in the middle of a hole, and notice an obviously faster group behind us on the tee, then I'll frequently call for the following group to play through, moving myself and the rest of my group to as safe and inconspicuous a location as possible. After they've teed off, if (1) it's going to take them a bit to reach their discs, AND (2) some or all of our group is ready at their lie, AND (3) there's another group closing in on us from behind, THEN I may throw and/or have some or all of the rest of my group do the same, as long as the members of the group that's already playing through are still behind us, so that we're not throwing on them. After we've thrown and they group playing through reaches their lie, we wait until they clear the hole before proceeding. It may not make a whole of difference, but on a course like my home course where there are frequently more groups than holes on a nice day, it just helps keep everyone moving.

If the group playing through invites me to join them, I'll usually do so unless I suspect for some reason that it'd make things worse, but their call whether to invite me to do so.

Obviously it depends on the situation like many others have said.

If it is crowded or it is not just a single person this is how we usually do it. If we are teeing off, we finish doing that and then let them go ahead and play the hole out ahead of us. If we are in the fairway, we let them tee off and then proceed to throw our second shots and then let them finish out.

I usually just mention to them what the plan is and that seems to clear up confussion or issues. It keeps things moving and as long as everyone is aware of the plan and it is a casual round, it just seems like it is not a big deal.

If I'm just chillin I'll let them hole out but usually it's busy as fck and the way we do it is we all tee off together.

i think that its good to let a group play through if you are playing with a big group but your right its the worst when your about to make a putt and a disc almost hits you
:wall:

I'd be slightly upset, but haven't had to experience it.

I tend to be "that nice guy" out there, but if it came to someone being near my disc, i'd probably freak out a bit. Saw a kid steal a guy's disc last year in a park in Illinois and ran into the woods.

I look at course crowding the same way as I look at traffic on the freeway. Everyone has a responsibility to alleviate bottlenecks. If you see people catching up on you in either circumstance, pull over into the slow lane and let them through. If you're catching up on them, ask to play through, and if you can't, do something to occupy your time while waiting. If the hole you just finished is still empty, hell play it again, or at least get some putting practice on the basket.

that's the most common way i let people through, and i think, the proper way to do it.

I just don't let me people play through, I'm like the Black Knight, "None shall pass."

I don't know if it was intentional, but I found a grammer/spelling mistake! I win!

Come and claim your prize, it's down here in this dark alley.

You misspelled grammar by the way. And all is right with the world again.

Latest posts