• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Pro-D Zone!

GripEnemy

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Premium Member
Just scoured zone threads, came up with a comment here and a comment there. I started throwing one maybe a month(ish) ago am I'm loving it. I used to throw drones like it was my job, but since I also threw Rhyno's I figured why not to try and kill two birds. The ESPs are lovely and am not what I'm asking about, STRICTLY PRO-D TALK! [comparisons are fine obviously]

I've been doin it all with the pro-D other then hammers/thumbers, even grenades, and am very pleased. Won't come back if you don't want it to (bh/fh), but will come back if you want - a lot more subtle then the ESP as you would imagine. On an open rip it can even take some elevation without stalling and fly straight 85-95% of the flight, fluctuating with power increase/decrease (again, obviously). Even after some serious tree hits [chunk or two missing, stress mark inside the rim on flight plate, etc.] I haven't noticed anything funky goin on with the flight (generally I HATEEE on baseline plastic, beats in too quickly and I cannot stand the feel of a warzone in my hand as I throw), and for whatever reason am not bothered by the flaws on the disc in my grip. I did like a DX Banshee in the bag for a while, there's just something about a beat up overstable disc that can work magic; the Zone is no different.

Im tempted to try a pro d but im afraid it would get too long. I use the zone for that wierd short distance on approaches and im having troubles keeping them short on fh's. Still, i love a good baseline find so its still tempting.

With your putter being a driving putter, do you find it blurs the line of decision off the tee?

With your putter being a driving putter, do you find it blurs the line of decision off the tee?

eh, kinda sorta. it may interfere with my mids somewhat, but it really comes down to distance and fade required...with a hint of "how comfortable am i throwing hard/soft" mixed in. do you drive with putters frequently? how far can you throw (roughly)?

just switched from the ESP to a Pro-D, missing a touch of fade but liking the meaty feel. love the Zone.

did you get that super grippy black pro-d i had grip? i had two a while back but never tried them.. just couldnt get away from esp but sometimes i think i wouldnt mind having a zone that didnt skip as much.. i love the skip when im trying for it but sometimes it can bite you

^ Got a black pro d in my bag, it's great. Totally smashed a tree the other day and thought it might be a goner but it wasn't fazed at all.

eh, kinda sorta. it may interfere with my mids somewhat, but it really comes down to distance and fade required...with a hint of "how comfortable am i throwing hard/soft" mixed in. do you drive with putters frequently? how far can you throw (roughly)?

Yes, i commonly throw putters off the tee but dont feel comfortable pushing them past 280.

I am a big fan of the Pro D Zone. I don't think I could handle one in ESP. I like them for straight drives, and approaches. I practice putting with it some and it does well there. I like it's wind fighting characteristics. It has held up so far for me after taking some hard tree shots. Mine is tacky and very flat top. I love the feel and the flight. I cannot shape lines with it well, but it is spot on for straight drives and predictable approaches. I overthrew approaches a lot at first, but I seem to have it figured out now, and I will have one in my bag for as long as possible. I hope they keep making flat top Pro D Zones.

did you get that super grippy black pro-d i had grip? i had two a while back but never tried them.. just couldnt get away from esp but sometimes i think i wouldnt mind having a zone that didnt skip as much.. i love the skip when im trying for it but sometimes it can bite you

yea i have it, in the bag currently is a pale yellow. since the suns gettin lower quick and were losing an hour soon i figured wait to throw black until later. i also have a blue [and ESPs] but the black one i got from you feels better than any baseline plastic ive ever held in my life from any company - even more so then some of that old school DX butter:eek: (IMO).

Yes, i commonly throw putters off the tee but dont feel comfortable pushing them past 280.

sounds familiar lol i used to throw my rhynos for just about that same distance, give or take. since its pretty glideless you can push it past if you truly want but i rarely do that..basically only in downhill situations. it just feels more middish in hand but still flies fairly lid-esque (i.e. BB putters), and thats why im enjoying it so much. i mean i can push a focus/wizard over 3 but i dont like to, only really use them within 100 feet. as soon as i thought "beat up baseline overstable low profile driving putter" i havent looked back.

i did have a pretty bad day today, but it happens:gross:

on a follow up to my last sentence, a pro-D zone is almost like a premium plastic pure (and as a bump:thmbup:). not really, but sorta. hope im understood on that one lol

i recently got a proto run Pro D Zone, black w/large discraft stamp. different mold, rim has a slight indentation on the bottom. still flies pretty nice and overstable though.

i recently got a proto run Pro D Zone, black w/large discraft stamp. different mold, rim has a slight indentation on the bottom. still flies pretty nice and overstable though.

i thought about grabbing one of those, i had no idea there was different molding on them. thanks for the heads up:hfive:

/puts credit card away

Sooo, the Pro-D Zone is still happily in my bag. Anybody start throwing them since I started this thread? Anybody drop them? Discuss:)

i'm looking to work one into my bag. none of the local places sell them though, and it seems as if there aren't a lot to be had on the markerplace. i'm really interested in trying out some of the black ones.

I dropped my Pro D Zone after a year and a half. It beat in to a nice straight flier, but since it flew essentially like any other worked in putter, it wasn't filling the role I wanted it to. Towards the end of it's career I was babying it to prevent further warping and decided an ESP Zone could cover all the short range duties my Aviars don't.

grip did i trde you that yellow one on dgr? I trade a sweet fade yelow one on there when i went to esp's. The zone bounces in and out of my bag.

I carry both, but my Pro-D has been in my bag longer and will be there until I lose it

Perhaps I had a lemon but my Pr0-D Zone got beat up and warped so fast that I may never buy one again.

People in this thread seem to love the black ones but in my experience they heat up in the sun ridiculously fast and get floppy and will warp very easily in that state if you're not careful with them. In any event, there is definitely some crappy Pro D plastic out there, but mine was in the bag for over a year. Like I said, I was babying it a bit because the flight plate had started to warp/wrinkle a bit and I had taken quite a few gouges out of it. I'd rate it like 7/10 on the Pro D/DX plastic scale of quality.

Latest posts