• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Pro Destroyer or Star Wraith

My suggestion is definitely to get an embossed (says Destroyer in the flight plate on the back) Star Destroyer. All of the ones that I've seen have been exactly as you would wish: mild dome with a low to medium PLH. I've been on the Destroyer wagon for a while and the only difference I've found between Wraiths and Destroyers is about 10' of distance and a slightly different hand feel. I max out at about 400 but I have a bit of OAT so I require the Destroyer that should work for you. I have an assortment of 2 Stars, 2 Pros, 2 GStars, and 2 Champs that will periodically make an appearance in my bag. Typically it will be both Stars and 1 of each of the other three but it depends on the course.

If you're looking for a workhorse distance driver, I'd highly recommend the star wraith over relying on understable destroyers. They are extremely workable from 375-475' of power and won't get squirrely as quickly as pro destroyers will as they beat in.

The most overstable destroyer I ever had was a 168 with not much dome. It was easily more overstable than the few pd2's I've thrown. In my experience with several AJ destroyers, weight and dome have very little correlation to stability. If I were a betting man, my money would be on the PM destroyers having the same issue.

I just picked up one of the newer runs with the word destroyer molded into the bottom instead of inked, and it's exactly the destroyer I've been looking for to replace one that I lost years ago. Not too much turn, not too much fade. I'm hoping they're all like that.

I think I'd pick the Wraith simply for the fact that its far more consistent from disc to disc than the Destroyer is.

The Destroyer may be a hair longer than the Wraith, but the Wraith is by no means a short disc.

Most Destroyers made the last couple years are very overstable and glideless.

Yeah Star Wraith is a good choice. Or if you want to venture may I suggest a MVP Neutron OCTANE - It's similar to a worn star Destroyer, its not flippy it just bombs

Star Wraiths can start out just as overstable as Star Destroyers. Both molds vary between runs, but don't think that going with the Wraith will necessarily save you from a somewhat lengthy break-in period if you get a brand new one in Star plastic. What will save you some time is buying used Star. Or, if you can find any at reasonable prices, Echo Star. True for both Wraith and Destroyer. (I'm not a huge fan of G-star, but it is flippier when brand new and breaks in more quickly.)

If you're liking the Pro Destroyers, I'd lean towards Star Destroyer. Wraiths can do all the same things, but just a touch shorter. I threw Wraiths for all of my distance slots for over a year, but have recently brought a few Destroyers into the mix. I get about 20' more distance with the Destroyers, but they are just as easy to control.

My Pro Destroyers come out for wide open bomb shots with no trees because they fly like a PFN Star destroyer out of the box but beat too quick. IMO nothing beats a beat up star destroyer. Those Avery Ds are so money.

Averys are great but should be bought in person or at PIAS if found. Theyre awesome but people try to gouge you online. For 15 bucks I'm just as happy with my MF for overstables and I took my 3 line out of the bag since it's an overlap and I'd rather keep the Avery for comparisons in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts