• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proper etiquette when finding discs?

For me, if there's ink call, if there isn't ink, and there isn't a lost and found option, then I just got a new disc.

Over the years I have lost a few discs and all of them were marked. Never got a call on a single one of them. So now I dont even mark them, why bother. I am begining to wonder if there is any etiquette at all.

Why would I want to keep a disc I found? It isn't a color or weight I like. I have discs of my own I don't even have a place in my bag for. I have a job. If I want something I buy it. This is also why I want my lost discs back. Who cares if ink makes it lose value? I don't sell my discs. Eventually they may work their way back into my bag.

Remember that not returning a lost disc is just like someone stealing your wallet or beating a baby seal. :\

club_sandwiches_not_seals_card-r41fb2f94c892400da01db4902612216b_xvuak_8byvr_324.jpg

Call the Ink. Google the PDGA #. Donate to a Lost & Found.

You've lost many discs to the disc gods, so Keep if Clean...

I won't hold it against you.

I'm a relative newb. I found a disc recently. It was a like-new Buzzz. I texted the number on it and we arranged a meeting to hand it off. Last minute, the disc's owner couldn't make it and texted me and told me to keep it.

I made the effort and the owner helped out a newb. I plan to pay it forward.

If there is ink, I always give a call or text. More often than not the person on the other end appreciates the call, but just tells me to keep the disc. If there is no ink, then I keep it or leave it depending on the disc and its condition.

I have lost three discs that had ink and never received a call, so there are folks out there who don't call (assuming they were found at all). Not a huge deal to me since the discs I use are cheap and easy to replace, but I personally just like to stick to the "golden rule" in these situations.

I call and leave the disc on basket of the hole I found it on.

agreed

you and I are a rare breed of Discer.

Not a disc of mine has ink. I hate it. Plus I always say "If I cannot find it somebody DESERVES it" because I will hunt for a LONG time for my disc...my....presssccciouss. and if i cant find it....its a gift to the world.

How do you play PDGA's?

Finders keepers. It if was important enough they wouldn't have been left it behind. I'll ask people on the course the day I find it, but after I've left the course it's mine. I don't expect to get a call back even if it's marked. I probably lose 2-3 discs a year and for the last 10 years and I've only been called once, which is crappy, but not unexpected.

Finders keepers. It if was important enough they wouldn't have been left it behind. I'll ask people on the course the day I find it, but after I've left the course it's mine. I don't expect to get a call back even if it's marked. I probably lose 2-3 discs a year and for the last 10 years and I've only been called once, which is crappy, but not unexpected.

Bragging about your lack of respect for other people's property? Classy!

I don't ink my discs, because;

1. I watch we're my discs go, walk to it, mark my lie, and throw again
2. It's ugly, and lowers resale value
3. I have many more discs and can buy more

So, with that said if I don't mark my disc with name and number, i don't intend to get it back and I don't feel bad at all if I lose one or two out there and never see it again... I'm not gonna lose sleep and I hope whoever finds them gets use out of them and is stoked on finding a good un inked disc in the woods! It's kinda like an unintentional Pay it Forward type deal.

I say it's yours! (UNLESS someone comes up to you and asks did you find a disc on the course and they say the exact kind and color, then hand it over of course)

Wow, unbelievably jerky opinion and comment.

We have a Facebook group in our twin cities community that people post on when they lose a disc and where it was lost at. Outside of that I often trade in the dx ones at pias for store credit and sell the rest in lots on dollar disc golf auctions. Then after a while save the money and buy a top notch first run buzzz essentially for free
So the people know where they lost the disc but instead of searching more themselves they post on Facebook and hope others find it for them. This is why I don't blame people for keeping discs that they find. You can just leave it there or put it on top of the basket but that will likely just result in someone else taking it LOL

I've thrown discs, watched where they land, then looked for them for 45-1 hour and not found them there. Sometimes they take crazy ground play or slide under stuff, or kick wildly low but far away from where they "land". Heck I just found one I swear I saw land in one spot about 150' up and 60' left of where o thought it was. It took mowing to uncover it in the chest deep grass.

Point is you can't look forever, and don't always see it land where it goes. Sometimes you have to keep playing and try to come back later, or another day.

Don't be a dick, call people when you find a disc.

Don't be a dick, call people when you find a disc.

Please explain this logic. You've already assumed the disc is lost. Whether the disc remains buried in underbrush, at the bottom of a lake, or in someone else's bag, it's not in your possession. You'd rather it remain 'lost than having someone else throwing it? :clap:

Wow, unbelievably jerky opinion and comment.

I believe this to be the opinion of someone who can hit his lines and has a bigger budget. I have neither of those so I mark mine.

I don't expect the person who found my disc to contact me but its nice when they do. More often than not I will tell the person to keep it. Recently I lost a putter at a course 30 minutes from my house. I told him to keep it but the finder told me next time im in the area to let him know and we will play a round and he'll give me my disc back. That was very cool of him.

Alternately if I find a disc with info, I contact them. Its good karma. More often than not they tell me to keep it. The last guy was amazed that a disc he lost in Texas wound up in Michigan.

I have no issue keeping an unmarked disc. If I don't throw it, I can trade it in for something I do.

Latest posts