• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Recommend an understable fairway

I have a MVP relay that when I rip it flat will do pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Speed
6 but it will cover some distance as well

The River or Essence. Both have ridiculous glide and when hyzer flipped give a nice long S curve.

I would suggest a Polaris ls in millennium standard plastic. If you want something faster a lighter weight falk

The Star Leo3 will be too stable unless you throw 400+. You need a Pro Leopard and maybe even need to beat it in some. Or JLS is base plastic. Still might need to beat it in some to knock off some fade.

You can beat in a DX Teebird too. Sidewinders generally have a little fade at the end unless they are beat.

I throw a Fuse too and similar distances, really a Pro Leo is your best choice I think.

I would say Maverick but I am a bit hesitant, I have two and they are both pretty flippy. Maybe I got duds.

I actually have a lightweight 160g Falk (very pop-top), and a River. Both are pretty understable when thrown hard and flat, but both fade out on me if I try to hyzer-flip them. I'm thinking at least for my arm speed if I want a hyzer flip with late turn and no fade I need to keep it in the lower speeds.

A DX or Pro leopard is looking more and more likely, though I still haven't ruled out lightweight DX Teebirds.

Valkyrie, I know speed 9 but worth a try.

Then A Discraft Mantis is the other option for a true fairway of same flight disc as Valkyrie, just Titanum and Z might be a tad more to Neutral in flight, Big Z or X are the best bets for that Valkyrie type flight. A Dragon in DX is not the disc due to the disc being only 148-150 grams and saying 150 grams on the disc.

The Glide is a good disc for this seeing an uncle use the mold in Z for his tunnel shots and must fly straight shots, problem is the Glide will not fade to the left much if at all but rather just fade forward the way somebody used a faster putter that was neutral or very slight OS/US for long putts.

The other is TL/3 discs that will fly like a faster Cheetah from the way I have seen the TL fly.

I used an Underworld for this shot for a while but it was pretty touchy. Throw it just right and it was a thing if beauty. Just a little off with speed or angle and it was rather unpredictable.

A couple of guys that I play with have really been loving the Essence for their understable fairways but I have yet to try it.

Currently, I'm using a max weight champ Leopard for this shot. It's much more predictable and easy to control than the Underworld. I also have a beat up s-line FD that is a thing of beauty.

Underworld's flippiness is very weight sensitive - I have a vip 167g that is much more willing than my vip 173g (same color/opacity/wear).

My arm speed has improved, but a few months ago I had a 175g tournament underworld that started a bit more straight. Unfortunately, I lost it before it was really broken in.

I had a 167 that was much more stable than my 175

Went ahead and ordered a DX Teebird, DX TL3, and DX Leopard. I haven't played with DX in a while, it will be nice to experiment with it.

Sounds like a hyzer-flipped Hatchet flight to me.

IIRC Hatchet is Westside's version of the Fury. Both are very understable, but I don't quite have the arm speed yet to Hyzer Flip a Fury and have it note fade out after it moves about 300 feet. It is a great hyzer flip to full s-flight for me though.

also a gstarrr sidewinder has baby turn baby fade

speed 9 and much moar controllable and versatile than the fury

My wife and one of my friends each have a red and orange gstar sidewinder and always throw the same colored ones on the same hole. They're always walking to the wrong disc.

I threw one for the first time today and I can see why they like them. Maybe I'll try one for winter or if I lose my 10 Northmen.

That is almost case by case with the discs dome in Star and stiffness in Champion right now. G Star I am not sure, I do not use the plastic.

No.

I revisited a bunch of old friends from Innova recently, as well as added the Thunderbird as a former OLF lover. Point being, I have a bunch of new runs.

Roadrunners are more overstable in Champ aside from the Barsby Stars (that if I remember correctly were made more overstable at his request). The six Champ Thunderbirds I own are all more overstable than the 4 Stars I have, all of which are more overstable than the two Gstars. My 8ish Champ/Luster Firebirds are all more overstable than the three Stars I have, and again are all more overstable than the three Gstar Firebirds I own. My five or so Champ Valkyries are, you guessed it, the same as my prior examples. Same for my Teebirds and T3s...out of all the discs I just mentioned there's one Xout Star Teebird that's super beef. I own 10 or more Champ Teebirds/T3s and at least five Stars. Three Gstar I'd say?

One fluke Xout does not make it case by case.

Maybe he was talking about gchamp 😁

If you like DX in those discs and want a true premium plastic then try Champion plastic, they will fly closest to the DX when bran new.

Dude no, this isn't true lol. I spent a year beating in my Champ Leopard to be the kind of disc OP is talking about (and then promptly lost it once it was perfect!), and I'm still working on my indestructible Champ Teebird (a worked-in TL could possibly fill this slot though). Gonna take forever to knock the stability off of that little darling. My Champ Leo3 is a beefy little guy too, at my arm speed, which is pretty close to TS's arm speed.

Last edited:

Latest posts