• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

Also, analogies are never perfect, but just because luxury brands are more expensive, doesn't mean that they don't nickle and dime you.

As someone who has owned a BMW-manufactured vehicle (Mini) for going on a decade, you can't be any further from the truth. The first two years of free service are great until you go in for your first non-covered service appointment and realize they neglected a lot of stuff during those years that you now have to pay to fix. I'm not the only one to feel that way either. Many people I know who own their cars have said the same thing.

I haven't been back to the stealership since.

Blows my mind that a piece of paper is required to return a defective product. I used to work as a RTV clerk for a sporting goods chain. I can count all the vendors that required a warranty card for a defective return on zero fingers. Most of them even provided UPS or Fedex shipping accounts to cover the cost of the return. Salient fails yet again.

If you sell a shoddy product, you should be required to cover all the costs to fix your ****-up.

Last edited:
As someone who has owned a BMW-manufactured vehicle (Mini) for going on a decade, you can't be any further from the truth....

I think we're actually agreeing with each other. :)

The Hammer said:
Blows my mind that a piece of paper is required to return a defective product. I used to work as a RTV clerk for a sporting goods chain. I can count all the vendors that required a warranty card for a defective return on zero fingers. Most of them even provided UPS or Fedex shipping accounts to cover the cost of the return. Salient fails yet again.

If you sell a shoddy product, you should be required to cover all the costs to fix your ****-up.

I agree the card thing is unusual, but I assume that's because of their option to purchase a bag sans warranty. A lot of people expect lifetime warranties on bags these days, and at the same time a lot of people complain about bags being too expensive. The warranty card seems like a good way to strike a balance, if not being the most elegant solution.

I agree the card thing is unusual, but I assume that's because of their option to purchase a bag sans warranty. A lot of people expect lifetime warranties on bags these days, and at the same time a lot of people complain about bags being too expensive. The warranty card seems like a good way to strike a balance, if not being the most elegant solution.

You could just have them register their bag at the time of purchase to keep tabs on who the original purchaser was, and the date of purchase. Many companies do this.

I tried to return a GRIP tag and they had no idea who the purchaser was.

Documentation goes a long way in my experience any time a situation arises. Never had a single problem when I have emails, paperwork, photos, etc as required and needed to process a claim. I deal with corporate clients who will reject payments for a multitude of reasons and its very important to ensure all the paperwork is kept on file AT MY END as I can't tell you how many times they have F'd it up. We are talking about companies like wells fargo, bank of America and so on...

:doh:

We absolutely are agreeing. Stupid me for not rereading the post after editing but before submitting. BMW is known as a Big Money Waster for a reason. Their cars, if maintained, will run for well north of 300k miles though.

After reading all this here and for the short time it existed in the Salient Squad Facebook forum, it sounds like neither side will be happy in this case. Salient does have their warranty policy clearly outlined. The shipping thing seems to be sticking in a lot of craws, but almost everytime someone posts how Salient should cover all the costs, someone else posts about some company (generally unrelated to disc golf) doesn't cover all shipping. Its going round and round. It seems people who don't like Salient will put all the blame on them, and people who do like Salient will put the blame on the owner of the bag.

Both sides are right. Or wrong. Whatever.

The owner of the bag posted about in the Salient Squad group (before posting here) so he obviously believes in Salient enough to pay to advertise them, as I did. So I don't understand the gripes.

My biggest problem with Salient in all this is that they deleted the thread in the Salient Squad group. If you can believe it, the post there and the ensuing discussion was just about the most civil thing I've ever seen on the internet. Everyone was being polite and respectful. I'm getting a little off track, but if Salient wants a true Squad to represent them, they need to see Salient warts and all. Nobody's perfect. I've gone the full gamut from loving Physical Flight, to being dissapointed in the Prometheus, to being angry about the Catalyst and Antidote, to reluctantly liking the Vein, to loving the Vein, Lockjaw, Vaccine and Touch to joining the Squad. So I am obviously capable of being objective on all this.

IMO, the owner of the bah should have read the warranty better. It doesn't really matter what the rabble thinks Salient SHOULD do, what matters is the policies they have clearly laid out. If you didn't read the policies, then you have no leg to stand on. If you did read them and went forward anyway, then you have no room to complain when Salient sticks to it's agreement.

I use an Ember. Its awesome and I have no problems with it. I've seen exactly one Helix and it looked so massive I wondered why anyone would need a bag that big...and I use to rock a Golf Mahal.

Ok, all done.

Wow... There is a lot to digest here. Haven't had the chance to get on here and reply.

First, in regards to spikehyzer, surprisingly I did Not hook my bag to my bumper and drive it down a back country road (great joke though). Sorry the tournament that the strap ripped off on me was during the rain storms the midwest was getting, so yes it was a little dirty, but those pictures were taken right after the tourney. If you were in my situation I am sure you would be frustrated and somewhat cheap, just sayin...

Second, I do have my warranty card and I also did email salient. Sorry it is a frustrating situation and I feel as though, they do not care. In the response email Hillary said, "my hands are tied" just wish there was a little more care as I do not think I should have experienced this type of problem. Also it is frustrating that they are telling me I should just take it to a seamstress, I just do not feel like that is customer service and almost like I am to blame for the strap ripping right off.

Thirdly, seeing Scott Salient post that he has never seen this problem really makes me feel like I received a deafulty product. I was not even going to post anymore til reading that. Just so everyone knows, my point to posting was to vent my frustrations in a respectful manner and to see what Scott Salient would recommend from here. I am not company bashing, I like to support smaller companies. Honestly the helix is a very sweet bag and I like what it offers. I was just not expecting it to rip on me like that, it was very disappointing.

Thats about all I have right now. I am sure most of you would be frustrated in my position and if not, you are a better person than me.

Wow... There is a lot to digest here. Haven't had the chance to get on here and reply.

First, in regards to spikehyzer, surprisingly I did Not hook my bag to my bumper and drive it down a back country road (great joke though). Sorry the tournament that the strap ripped off on me was during the rain storms the midwest was getting, so yes it was a little dirty, but those pictures were taken right after the tourney. If you were in my situation I am sure you would be frustrated and somewhat cheap, just sayin...

Second, I do have my warranty card and I also did email salient. Sorry it is a frustrating situation and I feel as though, they do not care. In the response email Hillary said, "my hands are tied" just wish there was a little more care as I do not think I should have experienced this type of problem. Also it is frustrating that they are telling me I should just take it to a seamstress, I just do not feel like that is customer service and almost like I am to blame for the strap ripping right off.

Thirdly, seeing Scott Salient post that he has never seen this problem really makes me feel like I received a deafulty product. I was not even going to post anymore til reading that. Just so everyone knows, my point to posting was to vent my frustrations in a respectful manner and to see what Scott Salient would recommend from here. I am not company bashing, I like to support smaller companies. Honestly the helix is a very sweet bag and I like what it offers. I was just not expecting it to rip on me like that, it was very disappointing.

Thats about all I have right now. I am sure most of you would be frustrated in my position and if not, you are a better person than me.

Hi Whales,
I completely understand your frustration because the strap on your helix ripped. If you want to chat feel free to email me at [email protected]

I have had a Helix since the preorder delivery last August. It has been a great bag for me. 2-3 rounds per week, a week long disc golf vacation, and it survived a rollover car wreck. Salient is having an anniversary sale right now and has reduced these to $110. I don't think you can get more for your money.

IMO, the owner of the bah should have read the warranty better. It doesn't really matter what the rabble thinks Salient SHOULD do, what matters is the policies they have clearly laid out.

While you're right that Failent can stand on policy, there are times when a company simply shouldn't. Like I said before, if they had simply had the foresight to issue a shipping label, they wouldn't be dealing with yet another fiasco that helps re-enforce my stance that absolutely no one should give these guys a dime. $5-10 seems like a small amount to shell out to avoid the negative pub, and who knows, they might have gotten some positive press for once if they'd chosen to step up to the plate. But of course, as usual, they'd rather act like Comcast and treat their customers as expendable.

Oh, and feel free to ridicule me for calling them Failent, but they really did name themselves.

While you're right that Failent can stand on policy, there are times when a company simply shouldn't. Like I said before, if they had simply had the foresight to issue a shipping label, they wouldn't be dealing with yet another fiasco that helps re-enforce my stance that absolutely no one should give these guys a dime. $5-10 seems like a small amount to shell out to avoid the negative pub, and who knows, they might have gotten some positive press for once if they'd chosen to step up to the plate. But of course, as usual, they'd rather act like Comcast and treat their customers as expendable.

Oh, and feel free to ridicule me for calling them Failent, but they really did name themselves.

Even when they do get positive comments you're right there to bash them down, don't act as if this would be any different. Just give it a rest already.

Hey how's it going everybody : ) For those of you that have had this bag for a while was curious how it has been holding up? What kind of Gripes ya'll have with the bag?

My only real complaints, and they're kind of trivial, was with the putter pocket sagging a bit and the Go-Get-It pocket not being an actual pocket.

Even when they do get positive comments you're right there to bash them down, don't act as if this would be any different. Just give it a rest already.

I really don't see the need to do so. Being on their test team means they're throwing you free stuff. In my mind you're bought and paid for. I purchased the only Failient product I ever had the misfortune of owning, so I'm an independent person with an opinion. Last time I checked, that's part of what we're doing here is discussing our opinions. Although, given the evidence, Failent having poor customer service is less of an opinion, and much closer to being a fact.

Now, with that said, I was actually offering constructive criticism in the post you object so much to. Wouldn't an inexpensive shipping label have been a small price to pay to not get MORE negative publicity when you're already drowning in it? Given that we haven't heard a ton of complaints about them, maybe they've finally learned their lesson and decided to take care of their customers. I doubt it, but one can hope.

Last edited:
The only problem I have with mine is the back has some sort of plastic piece in it and it's deformed now after 7 months of use. It don't sit straight up it leans to the back so on small hills it falls over. Only been wet once with the rain fly on it.

Do you have your bag packed to the brim to have it this Plastic piece deform? Any tears or zippers breaking on you for the 7 months you've had it? How did you like using the rain fly? did it help much?

Read everywhere that people had issues with this bag, but i wanted to witness it for myself i guess. i love the design and the bag does feel good, but nonetheless i've experienced a broken zipper myself. Just got the bag yesterday took it out for a test run and before i even stepped on the course the zipper to the personals bag broke on me. So for anyone for future reference that is interested in purchasing the bag BUYER BEWARE. At least buy the warranty which i didn't purchase to save some cash, or have it fixed on your own.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image(1).jpg
    image(1).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 40