• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Same Disc. Different weights

Hi, this has probably been asked to death, but how do they make the same disc mold, 160 grams, and also 175 grams? I know it is not a lot of weight difference, but significant. How do they make them the same shape and size? Bubbles??

Good question. Don't know the answer, but I do think the more aggressive the disc, the less consistent it is. Meaning putters are less sensitive to plastics and/or runs whereas drivers are more unique from disc to disc and plastic is a much bigger issue.

Hi, this has probably been asked to death, but how do they make the same disc mold, 160 grams, and also 175 grams? I know it is not a lot of weight difference, but significant. How do they make them the same shape and size? Bubbles??

I haven't confirmed this with my own research, but there are definitely weighting agents used in disc golf plastics. So the volume of plastic in any disc (say 160g champ versus 175g champ) should be the same, but the heavier disc has denser plastic due to more of the weighting agent.

There were some good forums in here a couple years ago about the injection molding process.

I haven't confirmed this with my own research, but there are definitely weighting agents used in disc golf plastics. So the volume of plastic in any disc (say 160g champ versus 175g champ) should be the same, but the heavier disc has denser plastic due to more of the weighting agent.

There were some good forums in here a couple years ago about the injection molding process.

Thanks, that makes sense. Any kind of more dense powder added would make the disc heavier, and be easy to distribute evenly. Should have thought of that!

Latest posts