• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shaving cream design and Results

Wow, the photos turned out huge. Not sure how to fix that but at least they uploaded. Sorry! And thanks in advance for any help!

The few i have done I mixed the packet and 30oz of water. With the shaving cream I added just enough water the make it less foamy feeling. Then I would take my dye and squirt some shaving cream into a small cup and mix in my liquid dye. I was using a children's motrin medicine squirter and would use just a bit and slowly add more and mix as I was adding. What I was trying to achieve was a dye mix that matched my watered down shaving cream.

Did three more last night. The two MVP discs started off white, and the Avenger SS was lime green ESP.

I have pics of the beds of the two MVP ones on my phone I will try to put them up later tonight. Forgot to snap the bed of the Avenger SS.

Attachments

• Ion 7-11-2013.jpg
    Ion 7-11-2013.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Tangent 07-11-2013.jpg
    Tangent 07-11-2013.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Avenger SS 07-11-2013.jpg
    Avenger SS 07-11-2013.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 160
Here's my process for Shaving Cream Dyes.

1. Fill an old frisbee w/ shaving cream. I use a large spoon ran under hot water to smooth it out. I use the top of an old copy paper box for a tray, and it all sits on a bar stool.
2. Create disc design; I use dye, acetone, shaving cream. Just a bit of acetone (1/2-1 tsp), some dye and then shaving cream to thicken it up.
3. Place disc-I like to leave the stamp on, especially if it's a custom stamp.
1069842_10200888289425299_839144213_n.jpg
946275_10200888289185293_108981756_n.jpg
1002474_10200888288705281_248644285_n.jpg

Had fun with my first try at this, made some mistakes but definitely learned some things!

Used a lime-green star Valkyrie and a white Star Roadrunner. The Valkyrie was supposed to be kind of like the glaive from Krull (anyone remember that movie?) and while it didn't turn out as well as I hoped I'm ok with it being my first try and all. Hope to experiment with doing some stencil dyes in the not-too-distant future also.

Thanks to the pioneers of this technique for sharing the information!

Attachments

• _IPT3405-Web800.jpg
    _IPT3405-Web800.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 87
  • _IPT3406-Web800.jpg
    _IPT3406-Web800.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 97
That sidewinder is great djschnabel
Nice bright colors PerpetualNewbie

What's the shelf life of idye poly? I have some mason jars of dye that I mixed up back in March....is it still good to dye with?

That sidewinder is great djschnabel
Nice bright colors PerpetualNewbie

What's the shelf life of idye poly? I have some mason jars of dye that I mixed up back in March....is it still good to dye with?

It should still be good. Mine is also in jars for maybe a year now. Still works fine.

Just started my first ever dye! It's a shaving cream dye with idye polly and a Star TeeDevil. Stoked to see how it turns out!

One question... I see some are using acetone in their dye mixes as well. What does this accomplish?

It should still be good. Mine is also in jars for maybe a year now. Still works fine.

Thanks Rumble ~ we just tie dyed a bunch of shirts with our grandson and seeing the results gave me the urge to do another disc or two.

Hey UncleChicken -- that Anode is cool....especially the nebulous explosion on the top half :thmbup:

My first attempt at shave cream dye job. Did my first two discs ever last night. Fun as hell.

The SC bath was too watery and thats a 175g disc so it blurred out a lot. I still like it but know better for next time.

vibramproblems.png

This sums my feelings about tie dye up. Ironic since literally half my closet is tie dye.

UncleChicken, did you end up pulling the color all the way into the middle or did it just run there during the dye process? And I'm assuming the underside got dyed by the overflow?

Cool twist BTW. Looks good.

Just started my first ever dye! It's a shaving cream dye with idye polly and a Star TeeDevil. Stoked to see how it turns out!

One question... I see some are using acetone in their dye mixes as well. What does this accomplish?

Some people think the acetone helps give more vibrant colors... I think really all it does is ruin your foil stamp.