• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe in for the job

If you are looking for disc golf shoes on a budget, I have been wearing "Hi-Tec" hiking boots for a while. They are very comfortable, and only cost $29 for the entry level boots. The only down side is they are not water proof. I am investing in the "Hi-Tec" water proof boots for rainy days and muddy courses. They run about $75.

Wide feet are always tough because so few great models do not come in widths wider than the men's standard D.

Tell me about it.

A couple of models that I would recommend, not based on long term personal experience myself, but rather on try-on feel and customer feedback would be:

Voyageur Mid by Keen (Keens have a nice wide toe box)
Moab Ventilator Mid by Merrell (comes in wide)
Breeze GTX by Vasque (Gore-Tex but still very breathable)
1201 by New Balance (I was skeptical at first but these are comfy, plus New Balance will always be the best with finding widths)

Thanks for the suggestions. I just noticed that New Balance has the 1201s on sale for $119 on their web store -- may have to pull the trigger on that. They're made on the same last as the 977s I've been wearing, which gives me some confidence that they'll work for me. Not as hip as the other options, but I was through being cool years ago.

I may have to try the Superfeet insoles too -- I've been using drug-store-quality aftermarket insoles for a while, and they help, but those sound really nice -- pricey, but nice. I have developed a pretty significant neuroma-type pain in the metatarsal area of my right foot that mainly flares up after 16-18 holes on my home course, as well as lower back pain when I have to stand without walking for long periods (the longer lines for attractions at Epcot and Magic Kingdom with the family last week nearly killed me :) ).

Tell me about it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just noticed that New Balance has the 1201s on sale for $119 on their web store -- may have to pull the trigger on that. They're made on the same last as the 977s I've been wearing, which gives me some confidence that they'll work for me. Not as hip as the other options, but I was through being cool years ago.

I may have to try the Superfeet insoles too -- I've been using drug-store-quality aftermarket insoles for a while, and they help, but those sound really nice -- pricey, but nice. I have developed a pretty significant neuroma-type pain in the metatarsal area of my right foot that mainly flares up after 16-18 holes on my home course, as well as lower back pain when I have to stand without walking for long periods (the longer lines for attractions at Epcot and Magic Kingdom with the family last week nearly killed me :) ).

Wow, I had no idea New Balance made Hiking boots! I love my new balance sneakers. Its the only brand I will wear. If their Hiking boots are as comfortable as their sneakers, I might have to check that out.

Wow, I had no idea New Balance made Hiking boots! I love my new balance sneakers. Its the only brand I will wear. If their Hiking boots are as comfortable as their sneakers, I might have to check that out.

I'm also a devoted NB customer, but I've tried a variety of other options for disc golf before settling on the NB 977s. I've had them for a year or so now. I've worn them mainly playing disc golf, or if I were going to be spending a lot of time walking on unpaved/uneven terrain. Only occasionally on paved/manmade surfaces. They've worked very well for me, replacing a beloved pair of NB trail walking shoes that I absolutely wore out -- wanted something with more ankle support this time. The treads on the soles are definitely showing some wear, but they've got a lot of life left in 'em yet.

They're not cheap -- I paid $140 or so for the 977s in a New Balance retail store (they don't tend to be stocked by sporting goods or other shoe stores). But looking at the 1201s on sale right now for $119 (with free shipping) I'm really tempted to get a pair of those guys.

I think those New Balance 1201's are nice, and the fact that they are waterproof and breathable , really got my attention. I just don't know if the wife is going to let me spend that much on shoes. I need to start finding some things around here I can put on Craig's List. I would like to go to a New Balance store and try them on, if I am going to spend that much.

Tell me about it.

I wore 977's and ended up buying the 1201's when my old 977's wore out.
Great shoes, worth every penny. They look different, but are just as comfortable. Highly recommended!!

I think those New Balance 1201's are nice, and the fact that they are waterproof and breathable , really got my attention. I just don't know if the wife is going to let me spend that much on shoes.

Ditto, especially since we just got back from a week-long trip to Orlando that cost a pile of money. And my 977s aren't worn out yet, so I can't legitimately claim that I actually need a new pair. Add to that the fact that I really only wear them to play disc golf, so the idea of paying that much for single-purpose shoes is really likely to earn me one of those looks when I bring it up ;) .

I would like to go to a New Balance store and try them on, if I am going to spend that much.

Yeah, that's why I ended up with the 977s last time -- that's what my local NB store had in stock that met my needs. However, if you can find either to try on, you can pretty much assume that the other will fit -- they're both made on the same last (the form used to shape the shoe) so the fit should be the same.

Try these Teva Wraptor's, they are waterproof, have a good sole, and are incredibly light weight.

With over 10 years of year round soccer my feet won't stand for anything less than a premium shoe. So here's another vote for the Merrill Moab.

i where puma esitos xl-tt i get them at academy for 29.99 , super durable, the cleets dont where out before the shoe even on concrete , awesome grip on grass ,dirt,concrete and not uncomfortable to where all the time i where them to work so they get about 50/50 earth and concrete .

they also make them without the cleet but the cleet version dosnt feel goofy like walking with baseball or football cleets so i get those. heres some pics http://www.amazon.com/PUMA-Esito-XL-TT-Team/dp/B001B13GLM

Last edited:
I have about blown out my 3rd or 4th pair of mesh Merrill Moabs. I love the comfort, the grip of the sole, etc, but they just wear out too quickly when you play lots of disc golf. I am not sure I would recommend them.

Maybe I'll try the Gore-Tex version and see if they last any longer (based on a recommendation from a previous poster)

I have learned to keep my old pairs handy in the case that I'm playing a tournament in the rain. Learned that lesson this year.

I have a pair of Northface Hedgehogs that have a 4 inch tear inside the right foot and the tread is completely worn flat after about 15 months of disc golf. They got me about 400 rounds of dg though. I was expecting more for the $110 I payed. I will not purchase another pair for disc golf and wouldn't recommend them.

I've been looking at the Hedgehogs. I also was looking at the 5.10 Camp 4's. I wasn't looking specifically for disc golf shoes. However the Gore-tex makes the Hedgehogs look promising since I normally play early in the morning and my feet get soaked in my running shoes. I just like the look of the 5.10's better.

I'm curious... did you wear those specifically for DG or all around? I mean if you only got 400 rounds out of a pair then yea that's not much for the money but if you wore them for 15 months daily (or at least regularly) then I certainly can't ask too much more. Heck I buy new running shoes (I only wear them to run) about every 6 months and they're actually worn out before that.

Latest posts