• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Southern Nationals

It has been a while for me to play in a SN series event. What tacoma (and a couple of others) have described is somewhere between interesting and disturbing.

All that aside, I have to assume that at least some of the events/ TD's are a classy operation. My question is this --- which ones? Especially within 2-3 hours from Nashvegas.
Thanks,
Ron

Hey Ron, if you are who I think you are, I played with your son at the Henry Horton bag tag a while back....Anyway, on Jun 22 there is a free SN tournament in Huntsville called Free As A Breeze. I'll be playing that. I hear it's a good tournament, this is the third year I believe. Other than that there is at least 1 tournament in Memphis and then there are multiple tournaments at Tishomingo State park which is near Memphis. Also a tournament in TN just north of Memphis and in MS just south of it. Not sure on the quality of the tournaments but the courses look good.
Also I plan on hopefully getting with Big Andy or one of the other guys that have TD experience to host some in Nashville, so that we can have SN points in Nashville and I can learn to TD. I really think that SN will go over well in Nashville with as many old schoolers as we have that don't play PDGA events anymore. Also with the explosion of the club and DG in Nashville I think we can support it!
Look forward to playing a round with your son again soon! His love for the game is infectious.

Make your way down to Jackson, MS for a tournament or two. We have a few really nice courses and the people who play our tournaments know how to behave themselves for the most part. I guarantee you will have a good time. As for bagging, it does happen, but if you choose to bag you will be harassed to no end for doing it. It's a kind of self policing I guess, and a TD can always refuse to let a player play in a lower division. I've seen it done. As for people acting like idiots, sure that happens from time to time, but if you are anywhere near the top card you don't see it happen. There have been no issues in the tournaments that i have played. That's my experience playing in about 10 or so events.

What happened to me was while I was on the 2nd card. It was a guy on the top card that decided he couldn't wait to get to the tee to wait for us to play the hole. The guys that wouldn't let me call a courtesy violation included guys from Mobile and Jackson.

I've played in probably 100+ SN events.. and always had a great competitivetime. It really depends on what division you are in, if you are playing intermediate, you have to expect some people are going to be not as professional about it, (i've witnessed the same in some PDGA only events also).

Also beer drinking and other illegal substances are not allowed as they against the PDGA Rules that SN Events abide by. See something, report it to the TD, like any other event. Don't whine on the internet about it.

Anyway, on Jun 22 there is a free SN tournament in Huntsville called Free As A Breeze. I'll be playing that. I hear it's a good tournament, this is the third year I believe.

FWIW, Free as a Breeze is a PDGA sanctioned event, and all current PDGA members will receive round ratings for playing. I will also be at this tournament.

To me that's not a penalty. I look at is as a $40 to $65 discount depending if you are an Amateur or Professional. Why should a non PDGA member get to play the same event as I without paying their dues?

This statement right here! How does that attitude grow the sport?

I didnt read entirely through the whole thread but enough to get a fair amount of info. Here are my issues with SN and i live slap in the middle of SN-PDGA haterville.

1: They have their own rules. I have issue with this because TDs pick and choose the rules they want to enforce all the while basically the rest of the US recognizes the PDGA as the sanctioning body (even if it isnt a PDGA event) and abides by those rules.

2. Regulation of alcohol and drug use. THIS is by far and away one of my biggest issues with it. At too many SN events have I either seen or heard of people getting belligerently drunk or high or whatever and there being absolutely no consequence to it...sometimes to the point of it even being celebrated.

3. (however you want to wrap your mind around what I'm trying to say) Disorganized and run in a poor manner. From the rules of discs, rules in general as previously mentioned including drug/alcohol use, but just simply not being run in an organized professional manner. I've had and known of TDs inconsistent in rulings where the circumstances are EXACTLY the same thus leaving favoritism being questioned. OB's and general tourney info/rules being too vague to non existent leaving all sort of things questionable which holds up play. Just simply the overall experience of the tournament being a mess players and all. and this will sound judgemental and I really don't care, but when playing a tournament also I don't think as the PDGA expects for you to actually wear shoes and a shirt is unreasonable!

ohhhhhh and is it really soooooo difficult to have a lil consistency and have the same divisions across SN and PDGA events so you don't have new people to tourney play questioning what division to play or others sandbagging

FWIW I'm doing everything I can in my area to try and change the perception of the PDGA and get more PDGA events to our area. Yes the PDGA has its issues but it is a much larger organization and is the face of DG around the world. The way I see SN is the chihuahua trying to pick on the Bull Mastiff. Its a lot easier to make friends with the big dog and play nice vs battle with them. They will never be able to replace them.

I'm fine with a regional thing, but get your panties out of a bunch or whatever bug has crawled up your butt SN as to why you dont like the PDGA so much and work hand in hand with them not against them.

I hear Brad Hammock is a big fan of the Southern Nationals.

:popcorn:
I hear the Souther Nationals are big fans of Brad Hammock:D

also i would like to know how that all played out. Hammer any odds on wether the SN peeps got any money back?

I am currently one of the 6 BOD members of the Southern Nationals.

Sugarnot, I am friends with many people in the FWB area, many of these people play both PDGA and SN events. So I'm not sure why You think they hate PDGA...

SN is not trying to take over PDGA in anyway. I'm not sure why people think We are, Many of the current and former BOD member have been strong supporters for PDGA and SN working together.

Our events and rules within them, We try to always side with the T.D. of the events, If He or She once to allow alcohol during the event, and it is allowed in the park. We do not have any issues with this, most players in the SN know which events these are and can choose to play them or not. Awards for Am division is merchandise only, it was brought up recently about allowing Am division to accept cash and the BOD voted against it. Policing of the rules, I never understood why players have issues calling violation PDGA and SN both, as long as You don't pick and choose what You call then nobody can say anything. We do allow non conventional events but may restrict the points given for those events.

SN Points, You are given 2 points for completing the event and 1 point for every player You score better then in Your division. These points are used for an Invite list We give out for Our Championships at the end of the season. Also there are awards given out for the top finishers in the points race.

SN Fee, As stated before we take $2 a head in Our events. Of the $2, $1.75 of that goes directly back into Your division at the Championships, The left over 25 cents is used for SN expenses such as paying for Bagtags, SN Shirts, PDGA Fee in the SNPC (Pro Championships), and anything else that may come up throughout the season. Any left over money is given back to the Championships, so no money is ever not given back to the players in some form. We also do not charge the $2 fee for JR and Novice Divisions.

Insurance, Yes as stated before the SN does not provide Insurance, We leave that up to the hosting Club/T.D.. Many of the clubs support each other and sponsor each others events, this is usually enough to cover event insurance plus any other expenses.

I will try to keep up with this thread and answer any question regarding the SN.

I hear the Souther Nationals are big fans of Brad Hammock:D

also i would like to know how that all played out. Hammer any odds on wether the SN peeps got any money back?

We never received any money, and He is banned from SN events until the money is received.

[/B][/SIZE]

This statement right here! How does that attitude grow the sport?

That statement has nothing to do with growing the sport. Playing tournaments has nothing to do with growing the sport.

Why should a Non PDGA member not have to pay their $10 non member fee to play a PDGA event? I paid $75 for my membership this year.

SN is not trying to take over PDGA in anyway. I'm not sure why people think We are, Many of the current and former BOD member have been strong supporters for PDGA and SN working together.

The reason for that impression is that periodically, a small number of vocal SNers show up on this and other forums, touting how much better the Southern Nationals is or how the PDGA should follow the SN model. The O.P. on this thread, while less strident, is of a similar vein.

For what it's worth. It's just a handful of people, surely not speaking for the entire Southern Nationals, but they're why some have the impression that the SN is anti-PDGA.

I'm sure there are things SN does better than the PDGA. I'm sure there are things that the PDGA does better than SN. Just the way things go.

However, the insurance issue is a big one and I think that would be the ultimate deciding factor if I was deciding between sactioning one of the two.

As a player, when I hear that "It's up to the club or the TD to get it" this either means a lot of out my entry to cover it or the event won't have insurance. Either way, no thanks on this end.

I think location would be the ultimate deciding factor.

If you're in an area with few PDGA members (and thus, $10 charges on almost everyone), you probably find little reason to sanction with PDGA.

If you're far enough from the SN championships that few local players would be interested in going, you don't sanction with SN.

And if you're in the border area, no reason you can't do both.

I'm sure there are things SN does better than the PDGA. I'm sure there are things that the PDGA does better than SN. Just the way things go.

However, the insurance issue is a big one and I think that would be the ultimate deciding factor if I was deciding between sactioning one of the two.

As a player, when I hear that "It's up to the club or the TD to get it" this either means a lot of out my entry to cover it or the event won't have insurance. Either way, no thanks on this end.

That is a fair statement, and I understand this may be a bigger issue in some areas then others. My area is hosting a doubles events in a few weeks. We have gathered sponsors to cover insurance and park fees. We are lucky enough to have a guy that is great at finding local sponsors, again I know this isn't the easiest in all areas. That being said, none of the players entry fee will be going to cover insurance. We will be taking $5 out of the entry to cover SN and MS State Tour fees, and after that the payout will be 100% plus any added cash we come up with through other sponsors and CFR sales.