• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talking Rock Georgia - proposed course

HelloPoodles

I haven't seen any chatter about this online - I only know about it because my dad read about it in the newspaper, but there's a proposed new course at the Talking Rock Nature preserve in North Georgia. I know how often these things fall through, but they've got Russell Schwarz scouting the land so it appears they are serious.

Local Newspaper Article

Looking at the Land Trust's Facebook page, they recently mentioned it being a 27-hole course, so perhaps that is what they've settled on. I have to think with 200+ acres they would be able to create a great course, and this is close enough to Atlanta to be worth a drive.

It's always exciting to get a new course here in Ga! I haven't heard of anything about this one so that's even more exciting. I'm interested in what direction they choose to go.

That is a great area to hike and visit, and Meeks' Park near there isn't too shabby of a course either. Could create a nice little jumble of courses between that, N GA Canopy and Toccoa. The land is perfect for it and close enough to Chattanooga, ATL and Asheville/Greenvile to pull in players for big events.

That's good news for North Georgia, if it gets done. For those heading up to it from Atlanta, there is a great barbecue place on the way, in Ball Ground, called Two Brothers Barbecue. Best pulled pork I've tasted.

This is great news! My aunt lives in Ellijay and I go out there a couple times per year. I will be excited to play this course once it gets in the ground!

that's cool. I'm moving to GA in a month or two. I saw that they are building courses in Douglasville and Carrollton also. More to play!

Giving this one a bump because it looks like the course has been laid out and construction will soon begin. They've only got one picture but hole 17 looks promising at least. Sounds like they need some goats though.

It's called the Russell Ratio, instead of a spiral it makes a turd sandwhich

The poo emoji is spiraled, maybe we should call it the Schwartz emoji. :|

Here is what you can potentially expect from a Russell Schwartz "design":

• 90 degree dog leg that is impossible to deuce but too short to be a proper par 4.
• A fun downhill hole ruined b/c he put the tee just on the other side of apex so your drive is obscured by a hump.
• A tee awkwardly angled 45 degrees from the fairway to artificially create a left-to-right shot.
• Multiple wide open, sparsely wooded field holes that no skill level enjoys.
• Wooded holes with crazy straw shaped fairways that a r/c drone couldn't navigate.
• Hole that starts in the open and ends in the woods, except there's no actual gap into the woods.
• Hole that plays across or alongside an immensely popular trail, ball field or parking lot.

Latest posts