• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 2017 Memorial Presented by Discraft

For round 2 it was actually Cory who noticed. He was a card ahead and remembered Rick missing some putts that were marked as birdies on live scoring. He had 2 pars marked as birdies, and 1 birdie marked as a par.

For round 2 there were actually 3 scoring errors on his card. (see above). If I'm Rick, I'm keeping my own scorecard in addition to the official one for the rest of my pro days. Insert George bush fool me once/twice quote here.

So this is all Cory's fault? That's it, I'm upping my Patreon account. Entertainment this good I worth paying for!

Several of medium or big tourneys in Finland started using quadruple scoring last year. i.e. Everyone records everyones score. Any discrepancies will thus have four cards to check from to weed out the error. (bonus advantage: You can forget about the "bad luck you have while holding the scores" mumbo jumbo because everyone has them all the time)

P.s. I so much hate calling/asking for score on the way to the next tee, with the group spread out. Or calling them while someone is not quite yet at the next tee, having had a chance to get the card and pen out.

Wait, so Wysocki had 2 pars marked as birdies?

If it was anybody else, wouldn't we call that something pretty serious?

He also had one go the other way. And he knows the round is on film, etc. I don't think anyone would try to get away with one with all of that attention, and I doubt a competitor like him would want to win knowing they cheated the system...especially knowing that it would get found later. I really think the consensus of it being an honest, but really preventable/dumb mistake is what it is (I'm sure the speaker and scoretaker are both to blame to an extent, but when it's your livelihood you should be certain of these things).

It really depends on the circumstances.

Things that would help even if it wasn't Ricky:

1. He wasn't the one writing the scores for those holes

2. The score wasn't messed with later (someone else was actually DQed at Memorial for pencil whipping).

3. He owned up to his score on those holes when asked by the PDGA.

Things that help because he's Ricky:

1. He's the last person that needs to cheat to win.

2. He's known to be a extremely honest good guy, with no priors.

Lol, c'mon man. You don't see the irony here? You seriously don't understand why the FPO players you've slagged for voicing ideas you disagree with haven't reached out to you? Really?

When did I "slag" FPO players?

Your reading comprehension downright sucks if you think I'm disagreeing with people advocating for more women's content. I'm actively advocating for it, thus the frustration. I'm on their side, yet I've been labeled the enemy in the past. That causes people like you to attack me (confirmation bias) because of somebody else's words, when my actions prove the opposite.

The only thing I've said "against" anything is that the "equality" argument with the intent to increase tournament coverage is fallacious in nature because it abuses the definition of the term. That argument was leveled against the media members out of left field without so much as a discussion of hopes, interests, or desires by prominent FPO players in the last 5 years.

Lol, you need to get a clue man. Your argument is so straw manned it's comical. You have, however, perfectly exemplified my frustration. A little confirmation bias + SJW means you want to attack someone who is trying to help.

I'm not even going to touch the "oppressor" nonsense you wrote.

Thank you for the clarification guys.

I was under the impression that he called out or wrote scores down incorrectly.

These episodes show scorekeeping redundancy needs to happen sooner than later at the top of the game. Professionalism demands it. Golf has it right- keep your score and someone else's and incorrect card=DQ. The idea that turning in an incorrect card is a measly 2 stroke penalty makes disc golf look way less "ready for prime time" than a course full of Par 2 holes.

How it could happen a second time to a player who was already penalized for it in the event is beyond me.

Sorry for the golf reference, but isn't each player responsible for their and ONLY their scorecard? That seems like a decent option. Then it's not so much redundancy as individual accountability, and that makes sense in a self-officiating sport.

Otherwise, especially at these top levels, why not remove the players altogether? There are video crews and officials following the top few cards, so why not make a tournament official responsible?

I'm probably missing something here, but there're my pennies.

It really depends on the circumstances.

Things that would help even if it wasn't Ricky:

1. He wasn't the one writing the scores for those holes

2. The score wasn't messed with later (someone else was actually DQed at Memorial for pencil whipping).

3. He owned up to his score on those holes when asked by the PDGA.

Things that help because he's Ricky:

1. He's the last person that needs to cheat to win.

2. He's known to be a extremely honest good guy, with no priors.

Although throw for throw Ricky might be the best disc golfer in the world right now, I think this helps point out one place he's behind Paul, the consummate professional: subtleties behind the game. Ricky loves playing and would love for his on the course decision making and execution to do all the talking... but in this kind of game the rules are more important than some of us would like to admit. Ricky seems to have caught up to Paul in the drives and putts; maybe now it's time to catch up in the bolts and nuts. (sorry, couldn't resist...it's Friday)

When did I "slag" FPO players?

Your reading comprehension downright sucks if you think I'm disagreeing with people advocating for more women's content. I'm actively advocating for it, thus the frustration. I'm on their side, yet I've been labeled the enemy in the past. That causes people like you to attack me (confirmation bias) because of somebody else's words, when my actions prove the opposite.

The only thing I've said "against" anything is that the "equality" argument with the intent to increase tournament coverage is fallacious in nature because it abuses the definition of the term. That argument was leveled against the media members out of left field without so much as a discussion of hopes, interests, or desires by prominent FPO players in the last 5 years.

Lol, you need to get a clue man. Your argument is so straw manned it's comical. You have, however, perfectly exemplified my frustration. A little confirmation bias + SJW means you want to attack someone who is trying to help.

I'm not even going to touch the "oppressor" nonsense you wrote.

Thank you for showing a desire to gather more opinions by bringing this discussion back to your Facebook friends. If you don't like being stalked, adjust your privacy settings. BTW, I don't friend people I don't know on Facebook. Maybe you need a fan page for more open discussions. :hfive:

You clearly are desiring to do the right thing, but given the number of times you've claimed to be misunderstood on this forum and in your own forum, I recommend being more careful with your words. As the face of SpinTV you should be cautious not to alienate your viewers. Attacking the person rather than the argument is not helping (e.g. "Your reading comprehension downright sucks"). :thmbdown: Now, I'm not perfect in this regard, using the term "whining", but I did admit this was too harsh.

It's great to see professionals chiming in, and Sarah Hokom's post is well done. As in any sport, the women's game is different, so comparing solely on rating, or whatever metric, doesn't work for almost every sport. Sarah's numbers indicate SpinTV's coverage has increased the number of views of women's disc golf by 2-3x over prior videos. I call that a success in helping to grow the sport. Thank you. :thmbup:

Sorry for the golf reference, but isn't each player responsible for their and ONLY their scorecard? That seems like a decent option. Then it's not so much redundancy as individual accountability, and that makes sense in a self-officiating sport.

Otherwise, especially at these top levels, why not remove the players altogether? There are video crews and officials following the top few cards, so why not make a tournament official responsible?

I'm probably missing something here, but there're my pennies.

Although throw for throw Ricky might be the best disc golfer in the world right now, I think this helps point out one place he's behind Paul, the consummate professional: subtleties behind the game. Ricky loves playing and would love for his on the course decision making and execution to do all the talking... but in this kind of game the rules are more important than some of us would like to admit. Ricky seems to have caught up to Paul in the drives and putts; maybe now it's time to catch up in the bolts and nuts. (sorry, couldn't resist...it's Friday)

Paul self-disclosed a misplay at Worlds last year and took a two stroke penalty.
They're human. It happens.

Talking about what other people should and shouldn't do with their own time and money is easy. Doing that thing (especially when it's making a next day video) is not always easy. Instead of giving Jamie a hard time for creating a meaningful discussion, people should be thanking him for:

A) Convincing Innova to pay for and cover FPO at GCC

B) Working twice as hard at GCC as he would have if it was only MPO. He's literally the only one on the crew that had to work twice as hard, and he did it gladly.

It's by thanking content producers, not demanding, that more FPO coverage will happen. At least that's how I feel. I hate being told what to do lol.

Yes. There are several examples of it actually happening, even at the top levels. It's a self-officiated sport. Anyone who wouldn't isn't really playing the game.

And all the others we donate know about because they didn't. I would like to think that most players would own up to their mistakes, and at the very top level they might, but apart from that, I say it's wishfull thinking. I have experienced players getting mad at me for questioning their score, even when they were wrong. In a perfect world I would agree with you 100%. In the real world, not so much

Talking about what other people should and shouldn't do with their own time and money is easy. Doing that thing (especially when it's making a next day video) is not always easy. Instead of giving Jamie a hard time for creating a meaningful discussion, people should be thanking him for:

A) Convincing Innova to pay for and cover FPO at GCC

B) Working twice as hard at GCC as he would have if it was only MPO. He's literally the only one on the crew that had to work twice as hard, and he did it gladly.

It's by thanking content producers, not demanding, that more FPO coverage will happen. At least that's how I feel. I hate being told what to do lol.

The tough conversations have to happen, in order for progress to be made. I'm not afraid to have them, even though I won't always come out smelling like a rose. I'm not here to be a celebrity, I'm here to give everybody who loves disc golf like we do the best possible coverage, and to create a sustainable living for those who dedicate themselves to that task.

Thanks for having my back my friend, can't wait to talk more about our next project.

Oops, did I say that publicly?? :D:D

Have any of the FPO players, and their vocal supporters, actually gone out and found sponsors to underwrite the increased coverage?

Or had any meaningful discussions with content producers about finding new sponsors/funds for them?

I think it would be more interesting to hear female pro commentators for the coverage. Like McBeth and Sexton for the MPO, Val and Page for the FPO! Or some similar combination.

I'd love to hear their thoughts. Might be quite different than we think at times.

Since nobody has brought it up since Ian posted about it, is "pencil whipping" considered simply "ratings manipulation" to the PDGA?

Latest posts