• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Amateur Championships at Bowling Green

The club agreed on the players' package shirt at our last meeting, which will be distributed during check in by Paragon Disc Golf. They will have a list of names and sizes from the registration and be set up near the club check in trailer behind Wha Bah starting Tuesday evening.

Nice clean look!

Was the VBB at Bowling Green Technical College canceled? I could have sworn I saw it on the schedule of events for Thursday 4/10 and now it seems to have disappeared....

I'm curious to hear from those who played last year in the Advanced men division. In your opinion, which course (Hobson, Phil Moore, Community College, or Kereiakes) was the most challenging and why? I'm trying to figure out which course I should spend more time practicing, if I have extra time :)

Most Challenging

After three years playing these 4 courses, my vote would have to be SKYCTC for most challenging.

I'm curious to hear from those who played last year in the Advanced men division. In your opinion, which course (Hobson, Phil Moore, Community College, or Kereiakes) was the most challenging and why? I'm trying to figure out which course I should spend more time practicing, if I have extra time :)

Hobson is shortest.
However, i believe this course will produce the biggest scoring seperation.

Leader might shoot -10 while others get +5 or more.

Keriakes is the prettiest imo and if your lines are clean, you'll enjoy the round.

College is the hardest on potential Might need to sacrifice distance and disc down. Stay in the fairway or die a slow agnozing death.

Phil has the airbombs.

It all depends on your skill set....Phil Moore is the toughest for me bc it is the longest and usually the most affected by wind. Give me tightly wooded like Hobson or placement golf like CC any day.

I'd say prioritize Hobson and the college course. Both have blind shots and tricky lines, and both have a lot of room for gaining or losing strokes. Phil Moore is wide open for the most part, so as long as you've seen the few water holes in the woods to know how to approach them, it's straightforward. Kereiakes isn't super easy, but it's also not very tricky. What you see is what you get, once you've played through once you know how to approach the course.

I say they go back to the layout for the 2008 BG Ams for advanced.

What was it...
Franklin Longs
White Park
Kereiakes
Phil Moore

BREAK OUT THE BIG ARMS BOYS! (if only I hadn't missed 24 putts inside 20 that year...)

I'd say prioritize Hobson and the college course. Both have blind shots and tricky lines, and both have a lot of room for gaining or losing strokes. Phil Moore is wide open for the most part, so as long as you've seen the few water holes in the woods to know how to approach them, it's straightforward. Kereiakes isn't super easy, but it's also not very tricky. What you see is what you get, once you've played through once you know how to approach the course.
Kereiakes - in my eyes - is one of the nicest courses out there because of the variety of shot shaping skills you want to display to score well out there. There are a lot of hyzers, but you're also challenged with turnovers, forehands, and a variety of angles of release. "tricky" and "blind" shots don't make a course better, to my eyes. A variety of different shot types to make do. Hobson Grove, to me, was just kinda... rinky dink and dull. Mind you maybe they've changed it in the past five years?

BG Tech, is a beast of a course. Easily the hardest course.

Phil Moore was the easiest for me since its my style of course, with it being a bomber course. Hobson was pretty boring for the most part and Kereiakes can be a challenge if it is windy and you can't hit your lines.

Last edited:
As another mentioned, It depends on your skill set.

Phil Moore - 70% raw distance and wind play. Always seems to be windy there!

Kereiakas - Average distance and nice defined lines. Keep out of the pines!!! Least amount of scoring difference.

Hobson - Short (except #2) and tight lines. The place you can gain or lose the most strokes if your short drives are off.

Tech College - A beast - Bring every shot and learn a couple new ones. Long, wooded and sometimes painful!

Practice Tech & Hobson to safe the most strokes!

Kereiakes - in my eyes - is one of the nicest courses out there because of the variety of shot shaping skills you want to display to score well out there. There are a lot of hyzers, but you're also challenged with turnovers, forehands, and a variety of angles of release. "tricky" and "blind" shots don't make a course better, to my eyes. A variety of different shot types to make do. Hobson Grove, to me, was just kinda... rinky dink and dull. Mind you maybe they've changed it in the past five years?

Perhaps, (I disagree on Hobson, but that's personal preference). My point was that for practicing, those blind and tricky shots are the ones you want to practice more than the variety of straightforward shots at Kereiakes which might be more fun but doesn't take as much preparation.

Perhaps, (I disagree on Hobson, but that's personal preference). My point was that for practicing, those blind and tricky shots are the ones you want to practice more than the variety of straightforward shots at Kereiakes which might be more fun but doesn't take as much preparation.
I can agree with that from a preparatory standpoint. I guess when I played Hobson I felt that it wasn't a great course for out-of-towners. It rewarded familiarity more than skill, whereas the other courses were based more on see-shot-execute-shot. I was overjoyed that year that I only had to play it for the pre-tournament BYOP dubs events. Haha.

Hobson DOES have my only BG KY ace, so it holds a special place for me there. Hole #1 with a Proline Monster back in 2008.

I can agree with that from a preparatory standpoint. I guess when I played Hobson I felt that it wasn't a great course for out-of-towners. It rewarded familiarity more than skill, whereas the other courses were based more on see-shot-execute-shot. I was overjoyed that year that I only had to play it for the pre-tournament BYOP dubs events. Haha.

That's exactly my point. Like you say, the others (excepting the community college) are mostly shots that are obvious what you need to do. Coming from out of town I was really glad I got a few practice rounds in at Hobson. The folks on my card who didn't struggled, it was my highest rated round of the tournament.

I don't quite agree that it doesn't reward skill. Once you know what the lines are, it's not that lucky of a course outside of some roll away potential on the hill by the mansion.

That's exactly my point. Like you say, the others (excepting the community college) are mostly shots that are obvious what you need to do. Coming from out of town I was really glad I got a few practice rounds in at Hobson. The folks on my card who didn't struggled, it was my highest rated round of the tournament.

I don't quite agree that it doesn't reward skill. Once you know what the lines are, it's not that lucky of a course outside of some roll away potential on the hill by the mansion.
Okay, I completely misread your initial post. My bad on the comprehension level.

I wouldn't say it doesn't reward skill, merely that in an event filled with out-of-towners it tends to reward familiarity more than skill. All players having a week or prep-time and you're looking at a course that definitely rewards skilled shots.