• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

*The Definitive DG Bag Modding Thread*

Santa should be dropping off my Spike Hyzer Cooler Bag anytime now, and I'll likely be looking at sealing the bottom. I'll have to see what it's like first, but I'm pretty stoked to get it.

It should take at least five strokes off my score.

Maybe six if I set up a sweet music dock.

Anyone have any cool MP3/iPod mod sugguestions?

Go to Walgreens if you have one near by. They sell a speaker that has a hard case to hold the MP3 player and batteries. It only cost about $6 and also has a carabiner clip to attach to your bag.

Heres a few mods I did to my sweet Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey bag. I just always tinker with and always try to improve on things.

1. I added am additional disc holder to the back. It is just bungy cord that I tied around the rear quad loops at the top (those are secured with wire retainers for a cleaner look). It is attached to the bottom with thread. I just sewed the bottom in place to the outside of the back pocket (thus not damaging the ability to still use it to tuck the rain cover in). I also used some hot glue to protect the stitching and clean the look up. It can hold one putter very nicely or two mids.

bag1.png

2. I cut the inner frame side plates out a bit to make it easier to grab discs out that are near the front or back. Just a small half moon shape makes it a bit easier on your finger tips.

bag3.png

3. I applied Shoe Goo II to the bottom of the entire bag, including the bottom of the extra side pocket/mesh and bottom of the drink holder. It is slightly liquid and gets soaked in to the fabric fairly easy. I just used my fingers because I knew it was going to be a messy job and wanted to have good control of where I applied it :). Since its pretty clear when dry, it is barely noticeable, but will make those areas that tend to wear out first... last longer.

bag5.png

4. I got some black 3/4" rubber/poly-something hose from Home Depot to put on the PVC frame structure, in between the side plates. It makes it so discs dont get hung up on the PVC connector that holds the side plates ( very frustrating when putting a disc back in). The hose basically fills the void or gap.

bag4.png

5. I was tired of the strap falling off of my (not broad) shoulder when walking with the bag, so I added a rubber anti-skid patch to the padded side of the strap. I used the Shoe Goo II to apply it and it isn't going anywhere soon. It is cut from an RC car tire. It has a tread pattern for offroad use, so it will grip my shoulder easily.

bag6.png

6. I made my own score keeping beads. It takes my bad memory out of my score keeping equation. I move one white bead over if I birdie or take one away if I bogey or move nothing if I par. The brown beads represent a five (like an abacus) and all I have to keep in my mind is if I am over or under par (keeping a plus score or minus one).

bag2.png

I plasti-dipped my chimp tonight. Got 2 good coats and another extra coat around the edge where more wear would happen. Tomorrow I'll be trying to figure out how to make the strap that came with my chimp into a quick-grab handle, and see if I can do anything else to my bag.

That's an Innova frame/divider setup and came with the "Champion" bag. I don't think it'd be too tough to make something like it though. The tubing is aluminum, and I know I've seen similar tubing at Orchard Supply Hardware.

Next chance I get, I'll check out the hardware store and see about making a frame as I could use it for one of my other bags.

Hrmm...I really could use a frame like that. Im gonna look into making one as well. lemme know if you figure anything out

Speakers the same on both sides in the bottom of the side pouch. They are ones I tore out of a stuffed animal and MacGyver'ed into a new box. the ipod jack is fed through the inside pouches out to the scorecard pouch and where I keep my Ipod. If you're curious and want more pictures just let me know.

5308368263_83a3e1a6cf_b.jpg

awesome mods guys, I've been wanting one of those little pouches with the speaker that holds and mp3 player, me and my buddies like music on the casual rounds. Gonna hafta check out my local walgreens

Anyone have any suggestions on slight mods I can do to a starter bag? Just picked up DG about a month or two ago but I've been going to the course at least once a day. I was thinking about putting something for a towel, an extra bottle of water, and extra cushion for the strap if not a backpack strap.

No sure you're still watching this, But if you get a towell for a golf bag they normally have something added already. Or you can cut a hole in the corners and sew it(so it doesn't break) and put a carabeaner or even a small wire to make it attach to the bag.

I am going to plasti dip mine soon after reading this. I also got the hard ware straps that are pretty money, although when not broken in hurt on bear skin.

Here are the pics of my speaker setup from Walgreens. I will say that I just noticed the nylon for the carabiner clip is ripping but there is a velcro strap on the back that you can use to hang it by too.

0105111420.jpg

0105111422.jpg

Saw a bunch of haters on those birdy beads...If your insecure about your masculinity then get you some skull beads or boob beads whatever makes you feel better. Still serve the same purpose

I have had a Discarrier for a while but recently the inner frame/dividers fell out of favor with me. I got 2 accordion dividers and put them in the center with the discs facing towards the front of the bag. This left me with what are essentially 2 inner pockets (one I use for my utility discs, the other for extra towel, LED light, snacks, etc.). It seems like the weight is more centered on my back and is more comfortable than before. As I have it, it holds 16 discs perfectly (not too tight, but they don't move around either) and anything else I might need to bring. Added a few patches also and a Yoda to ensure the Force is always with my game...

SAM_0818.jpg

SAM_0817.jpg

SAM_0820.jpg

Has anyone put plasti dip on the bottom of their revolution carolina bag for added protection?

I have a Revo Dual Pack. The cage broke after taking it out only 2 times and I couldn't get a replacement so I just made this cage today. Works great, only took 15 minutes and only cost 8 Bucks and it fits better than the Revo cage. I made it so the bottom goes in first then the sides go in so not fighting getting it in and out of my bag like the stock cage. I also used truck bed liner on the bottom for a little added protection.
DSCN5586.jpg

DSCN5584.jpg

DSCN5587.jpg

DSCN5590.jpg

I spray plastidipped my revo bag. I bought it around 2004 so this was before they were puting vinyl on the bottom and the divider was a wooden dowel/fiberboard setup. The divider had worn a small hole in the bottom after a year and a half use (heavy).

The one can I bought has about eight coats. I used seven on the bottom and lower sides. That's what it took to seal the small hole. I just put duct tape around a trash bag and taped it to the bag. I had the bag pockets and main compartment stuffed with towels to help stretch and give the bottom form while I sprayed.

I have to say it works great. Well worth the time and money. Water used to soak half way up the bag on a wet day. Now it doesn't. Simple as that. Ill try and post pics sometime this weekend.

I would take a file to any joint on the pvc frame and smooth it out. This will help with the frame wearing against the bag. It might be overkill but oh well.