• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ All I know is that you need to start dying some MVP's. Blank Neutron would look sick with your work on it.

All I can say is, DO WHAT YOU DO, DIABOLICUM!
Your dyes are easily recognizable as YOURS -- those of us who have dyeing experience continue to marvel at your unique use of technique, color choice, and design, and we could easily pick out a dye from you even if your name wasn't on it. Until you start hitting children or women, or being blatantly racist or hateful, no one pf merit here is going to judge you as anything other than a talented artist.
I still want more insight on how you get the really sharp organic saran-wrap-style backgrounds, but your work is truly unique, and I don't know where someone got satanic reference from, nor do any of us care!

All I can say is, DO WHAT YOU DO, DIABOLICUM!
Your dyes are easily recognizable as YOURS -- those of us who have dyeing experience continue to marvel at your unique use of technique, color choice, and design, and we could easily pick out a dye from you even if your name wasn't on it. Until you start hitting children or women, or being blatantly racist or hateful, no one pf merit here is going to judge you as anything other than a talented artist.
I still want more insight on how you get the really sharp organic saran-wrap-style backgrounds, but your work is truly unique, and I don't know where someone got satanic reference from, nor do any of us care!

Quite heart warming to receive this kind of feedback.. thank you. What comes to my technique I could do some kind of Q & A thing..I´m a mean man and don´t want to do simple video to show how I´m doing things :) I want everybody to try out and test things, that way you learn something and get ideas instead of just start copying something. If you have ideas how to do an Q & A feel free to guide me.

You can start by telling what is it that you don´t like in your own dyes, what would you like to be differently?

Quite heart warming to receive this kind of feedback.. thank you. What comes to my technique I could do some kind of Q & A thing..I´m a mean man and don´t want to do simple video to show how I´m doing things :) I want everybody to try out and test things, that way you learn something and get ideas instead of just start copying something. If you have ideas how to do an Q & A feel free to guide me.

You can start by telling what is it that you don´t like in your own dyes, what would you like to be differently?

I like my dyes just fine :) But you certainly have an edge on the organic background technique that sets you apart, similar to Dan Howard and his incredible control with the shaving cream technique, that all of us have tried but NO ONE does better(imho).
I wonder if you're using saran wrap, paper bags, or some other medium to garner those incredible results. How much you "crinkle" said medium. What mixtures of dye blends you use.
In any case, no one will be upset if you tell us nothing. Again, it's a technique we're all familiar with, but YOU seem to have a unique talent for doing it in a very original and discernable way, and for that, KUDOS!

In any case, no one will be upset if you tell us nothing. Again, it's a technique we're all familiar with, but YOU seem to have a unique talent for doing it in a very original and discernable way, and for that, KUDOS!

Those last couple with red are stunning, I stared at them for like 10 minutes straight, while the wheels in my brain turned trying to guess how u did it. Sure, I'd love to know, but please do not feel obligated to share anything. I'm sure it took you a lot of trial and error to perfect these and no one will begrudge you for keeping secrets.

That being said...my first question would just be what red you used. Was it idye? It is a very nice red on those.

As for someone harassing you about the images on the disc, they obviously don't know much about discs or they would have known those were factory stamps. Tell them to get a life.

I use normal household saran wrap, plenty of it. I make small balls out of it rather than just crinkle it. What comes to mixtures I usually mix 1 pack of dye in 1.5 liters of water.
It comes down to on how much of the mix you pour on the saran wrap + how much weight you put on top + the time that the disc stays in the mix.

The red dye is just normal iDye poly Red + acetone.

Last edited:
Trial and error my friends, trial and error. What comes to colors for me it´s easy because I have drawn a bit all my life and I can visualize colors next to another in my mind. I was blown away by the stuff that was in the contest here. Absolutely amazing dyes !

I got some pretty religious PM about my dyes today saying " lot of satanic imagery on your dyes, do you think that stuff looks cool? " :doh:

Well yes they look cool. But sorry I don´t design them Discmania etc. logos...I only dye discs. But if you really must know ...What some people might keep satanic...well I find interesting among lots of other things. I happen to like to study and understand cultural phenomenons and religious movements, including christianity but I don´t affiliate any god or religion.

I try to keep my disc golf hobby free of religion and politics. I hope this one person can respect that and won´t bother me anymore with any religious ideas.

:confused: Amazing that some feel entitled to question the taste, beliefs or philosophies of others. Yet, utterly failing to see the inherent hypocrisy in doing so. Sounds like you handled this nonsense with class. Awesome dyes, regardless of any "subliminal demonic" intentions. Lol.

My 2 latest dyes...

I forgot to take a pic of the bottom of the Calvin & Hobbes. I was able to cut a perfect mask that covered the bottom of the disc and kept it clean and white.

well, i decided to start doing dye jobs again now that i don't lose my discs quite so much and i've been able to find a full flock of white discs for my bag.

i started with one i've done before. some things turned out better, some things turned out worse. it is what it is. i used it to experiment a bit and it certainly taught me the importance of sticking with your design style, not improvising, and also the importance of getting all your color down as soon as possible for even layers. not that i didn't know that . . . just that this particular effort reinforced that knowledge, heh . . . and also that mvp stamps are hard to press down to prevent bleeds. might be searching for blanks again.

so . . . i made samurai champloo 1.5. not quite 2.0, not good enough for that, but not bad for my first "real" dye back on the job.

IMAG0204_zps8ozofhgy.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the bottom of the Calvin & Hobbes. I was able to cut a perfect mask that covered the bottom of the disc and kept it clean and white.

I achieve that with electrical tape and a bit of Elmers glue. The tape holds fine, you just need to put some glue wherever the tape starts.

Great job on the smooth transition from blue to black.

Great work floating around here lately guys! Here's a few I just got done for somebody and one I did a few months ago but never posted.

Couple notes on the dyes...the bolt I tried masking off the lettering (to glow) but fell victim to latitudes beautiful but fragile stamps...lost a little of the stamp in the O and other parts...the prodigy i did everything but the skullboy portion (owner of the disc did that)..

and the core at the bottom was kind of a "remake" of one i did earlier in the year but lost...just different colors

resizedProdigy_zpsd22ded6f.jpg

resizedBolt_zpsd15b1f31.jpg

resizedCore_zps127520b3.jpg

Great work guys!

Fred, that Calvin and Hobbes is stupendous! Well done! And on one of my favorite discs no less!

the prodigy i did everything but the skullboy portion (owner of the disc did that)..

resizedProdigy_zpsd22ded6f.jpg

Those are all sweet, but this is my favorite. Those super clear prodigy discs are amazing. Great work!

Did you use vinyl to mask off the rim where the circles are?

Those are all sweet, but this is my favorite. Those super clear prodigy discs are amazing. Great work!

Did you use vinyl to mask off the rim where the circles are?

Thanks man. Im glad you like them. Yea that prodigy was a pretty one...Yes. I masked off the rim and basically masked and remasked the pie sections one at a time to lay down the different colors.

I learned a few things in the process. One being that 400s plastic is very tricky to take a dye, similar to crystal z plastic from my experience. It will take just seems you need almost double or triple the dye times. I was averaging 2-3 days for each color just to make it set. The second thing I learned that i'll do differently next time is do my dark colors first so when i have to remask and leave it on the disc for up to 3-5 days while doing the other colors, I wont lose as much color or at least it will be less noticeable on the dark colors. What looks to be pink on that disc started as purple ;) Still looks pretty cool but wasn't completely what I was going for originally

I'll be doing a lot of video tuts soon here once I can get my cousin to man my new camcorder for a few dye sessions so I'll be glad to share some of my processes. I got a youtube channel up and going just gotta get some more footage going and do some editing and so forth. I'll throw up a thread about it when I have some vids up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts