• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The MVP Spin is the Comet of putters..

Is the Spin the Comet of putters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can putt very well with my Comet and often do, so why change, lol.

This disc is not a Comet, Lighting Rubber Putter is the closest disc to the Comet as a putter. This disc is like a beaded Aero.

I would vote No but I have another putter and it's a...if I could.

Last edited:
Haha.. I should have said:

The PROTON Spin is the Comet of putters!!!

Saw an APX today at the store like the shape.. Tempting! Tried my 174 electron Spin again.. It's crap compared to a Proton 165. Too inconsistent and S like. I like it for Anhyzers for sure, my 165 electron is better because I know it's touchy.. It's like my proton with extra turn. The 174 might break into something but I'm not sure I have the patience.

It sucks MVP discontinued the Comet of putters. :(

It sucks MVP discontinued the Comet of putters. :(

I know right.. At least they only killed the proton version. Luckily I have backups I bought upon hearing the sad news. I should probably try a neutron one, I did not gel with electron, I like that the protons are beefy.

I was on a necrobump rampage while I was looking for the "noob question" thread or something like that I can never actually remember the exact name of haha.. I subscribed to it now.

So I've been a wizard guy forever and have always bagged a beat up magic also for bendy anny putts and get out of jail upshots.

Any of the spin throwers bag a magic previously and can compare the two?

Upshots have probably been the toughest thing to dial in with gyro for me. Magic would be anything understable, xt bullfrog for straight without much glide, and zone for beefy and FH upshots. I normally like throwing them fairly soft, which mvp discs don't like to be thrown low spin and a bit nose up.

So I've been a wizard guy forever and have always bagged a beat up magic also for bendy anny putts and get out of jail upshots.

Any of the spin throwers bag a magic previously and can compare the two?

Upshots have probably been the toughest thing to dial in with gyro for me. Magic would be anything understable, xt bullfrog for straight without much glide, and zone for beefy and FH upshots. I normally like throwing them fairly soft, which mvp discs don't like to be thrown low spin and a bit nose up.

Ha well glad you asked, thank you for your interest. I did wizards for quite a while then moved to a Magic/Rhyno combo in my pre gyro life. Used to prefer to use a red Evo magic, I had a glow and a medium as well.

The spin is a lot like an Evo magic, they even feel kind of similar with the 45 degree undercut on outside rim. I had beat my magic pretty hard almost wore the stamp off..

The magic grabs air better and propels itself upwards a bit more, the rim feels thicker. The spin does a little more gyro flat kind of action, they're pretty similar for a straight drive in that with a bit of hyzer you can push a dead straight hyzer flip and I think the spin is more wind resistant.

The cool thing about the spin is its ability to turn without full burn. I can lay it out flat on a downhill and it will turn gently and hold it. It also deals with nose up reasonably well.

I throw mostly proton 165ish spins, I have a 174g r2. I'd say my 165 is close in shot shape to a Evo 174g magic. I always kept an eye out to see if I could find a freak 178g Evo magic so I'd say very similar but more stable. I had a light electron spin and it was too flippy to use for straight hard drives...

If you're looking for the easiest most beat flight try electron spin in a low weight. If you want to go crazy understable check the paradox thread.

Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited:
Wow there are some weird opinions on which putters fly like the Comet in this thread :D

Having thrown both thousands of times, the APX was the putter of Comets. The Ion is MVP's APX, so it's the closest they have. Everyone that picks the flippiest putter out there from manufacturer X doesn't know how to control a Comet, and just assumes it turns from start to finish.

Also...LOL at the Magnet being anything like a Comet. The Magnet was the MRV of putters. More overstable, and has all the glide of a brick of tungsten.

Wow there are some weird opinions on which putters fly like the Comet in this thread :D

Having thrown both thousands of times, the APX was the putter of Comets. The Ion is MVP's APX, so it's the closest they have. Everyone that picks the flippiest putter out there from manufacturer X doesn't know how to control a Comet, and just assumes it turns from start to finish.

Also...LOL at the Magnet being anything like a Comet. The Magnet was the MRV of putters. More overstable, and has all the glide of a brick of tungsten.

Yeah I think APX is the one, never thrown it though but some people I trust have that opinion. I might be tempted to argue for the magnet but I don't care about those for about 15 years and a couple of bad tree hits....

For the record I don't like the flippy spins I posted this when I got my Sparkle proton and the electron one was a decent tick less stable. I'm still pretty happy with it holding whatever line I put it on but it's really only neutral out to about 150 ft after that it kind of turns on its own

Yeah I think APX is the one, never thrown it though but some people I trust have that opinion. I might be tempted to argue for the magnet but I don't care about those for about 15 years and a couple of bad tree hits....

For the record I don't like the flippy spins I posted this when I got my Sparkle proton and the electron one was a decent tick less stable. I'm still pretty happy with it holding whatever line I put it on but it's really only neutral out to about 150 ft after that it kind of turns on its own

I threw the APX because it was like the Comet. It was my primary, and only putter (including driving duties) for about a decade.

I threw the MRV before I threw the Comet, and the Magnet flies like it did by comparison. Less glide, more stability (though admittedly less stability than an actual MRV). If you look at both the APX and Magnet from the side, you can see why they fly like the Comet and MRV - they look just like them.

The only MVP putter I've thrown that flies at all like a Comet is the Ion. There are several that fly like a Fierce, or a Rattler, but nothing flies just like a Comet, like the Ion. It was the only putter I'd originally considered to replace my APX, back when I was curious about MVP when they first hit the scene.

I threw the APX because it was like the Comet. It was my primary, and only putter (including driving duties) for about a decade.

I threw the MRV before I threw the Comet, and the Magnet flies like it did by comparison. Less glide, more stability (though admittedly less stability than an actual MRV). If you look at both the APX and Magnet from the side, you can see why they fly like the Comet and MRV - they look just like them.

The only MVP putter I've thrown that flies at all like a Comet is the Ion. There are several that fly like a Fierce, or a Rattler, but nothing flies just like a Comet, like the Ion. It was the only putter I'd originally considered to replace my APX, back when I was curious about MVP when they first hit the scene.

I absolutely agree with the magnet shape/mrv... rattler was alright but too much juice and it just didn't hold the line. I'd submit a MVP glitch as closer than a rattler. I don't know if I can get behind the ion for that, maybe if I could throw it 300' ;)

I think many of the problems with this discussion stem from one's comet preference, I'm a little odd in that department, definitely in the minority :D I love me some flat top med shoulder comets (or elite X's)... and what range you expect to use it for, until you pull out your comet. For me thats about 150'

Anode has already been discussed in here, which is what I would say.

But I'll humbly put forth the PA-4 for comet-like flight in a putter. Though a friend gave me a newer run of them and it is kind of flippy where all my older ones are dead straight or veery slightly US with a lot of glide

I absolutely agree with the magnet shape/mrv... rattler was alright but too much juice and it just didn't hold the line. I'd submit a MVP glitch as closer than a rattler. I don't know if I can get behind the ion for that, maybe if I could throw it 300' ;)

I think many of the problems with this discussion stem from one's comet preference, I'm a little odd in that department, definitely in the minority :D I love me some flat top med shoulder comets (or elite X's)... and what range you expect to use it for, until you pull out your comet. For me thats about 150'

I...may throw my putters a bit farther than you do :D

Typically I'll throw a putter out to about 220, and then switch to the Comet because I can get it there more gently.

Latest posts