• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The MVP Spin is the Comet of putters..

Is the Spin the Comet of putters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How's the Spin compare to the Fierce? A couple backyard tosses seem like it's a little hair more stable. Does that hold up over time?

I haven't thrown the spin, so I can't tell you. What I can say is that after my first round with a Fierce today, that disc will NEVER, EVER lose its spot in my bag. I throw mostly MVP, but I can't see getting a Spin at this point.

@discerdoo

Nah man, the proton spin is totally the Comet of putters.

Electron kinda sucks. Unless you need help turning a putter, the proton was a touch softer than new runs and has a touch of fade, neutron came out less stable.

I haven't thrown the spin, so I can't tell you. What I can say is that after my first round with a Fierce today, that disc will NEVER, EVER lose its spot in my bag. I throw mostly MVP, but I can't see getting a Spin at this point.
Think of the spin as a Fierce that only costs $12.99. It's completely identical in flight characteristics.

@discerdoo

Nah man, the proton spin is totally the Comet of putters.

Electron kinda sucks. Unless you need help turning a putter, the proton was a touch softer than new runs and has a touch of fade, neutron came out less stable.
The Proton one would have to have a lot more stability than the Electron ones, for me to say it flies at all like a Comet. I can throw flex shots with a Comet. The Electron ones could never do that.

Think of the spin as a Fierce that only costs $12.99. It's completely identical in flight characteristics.

Jawbreaker swirl Fierce is $12.99 and so far is stiffer and more durable than an electron Runway that I got at a Circuit Challenge. First tree hit with that thing took the biggest gouge out of a rim I've ever seen.

How about the comparative hand-feel? The Fierce is really good in that regard I think. Grippy, just deep enough. I can still FH with it for little anhyser flicks, but on BH it's perfect. First throw with it I parked a 224 par three with a turnover for a tap in two. Context: I don't birdie much yet--maybe once every three rounds. Pars per round rising nicely though. :)

Electron kinda sucks.

That's just your opinion man.

--the Dude

It also happens to be my opinion. My bag is 50% MVP, and I generally think it's great stuff. My one Electron disc is the exception. It's my "I'm never going to clear that water" disc, but to be fair, so far it has. Least durable plastic I have met though. My Electron Runway is supposed to be like a Zone, but even if that were true (it's not), it wouldn't stay that way for long.

Between the Zone and the Fierce, I'm pretty happy with most approaches now. I can even see myself putting with the Fierce in the future.

Haha I like the Dude... did you know that was all his own clothes? Anyhow.

I hear good stuff about the fierce, I wouldn't go chasing a spin if you got something you like. The electron plastic made it very understable, I love me some electron envys though they replace any need for a proxy in my bag, huge glide.

I will concede the Watt is a nice line shaper, pretty forgiving. I'm not using a spin for flex shots, the Watt will do that or a comet.. I use it more for straight hyzerflip lasers and going around stuff, anny or hyzer. Love that slow fade.

When I started this I would go comet for anything 160' plus and lean on the sparkle proton spin for anything under that. I think they discontinued the proton spin (too stable/close to anode) for the same reason as the neutron atom (too envy). I tried the r2 and it's alright but missing glide, electron has the glide but not enough stability. My proton spins are like a heavier glitch with a twitch of fade and a little less glide.

Jawbreaker swirl Fierce is $12.99 and so far is stiffer and more durable than an electron Runway that I got at a Circuit Challenge. First tree hit with that thing took the biggest gouge out of a rim I've ever seen.

How about the comparative hand-feel? The Fierce is really good in that regard I think. Grippy, just deep enough. I can still FH with it for little anhyser flicks, but on BH it's perfect. First throw with it I parked a 224 par three with a turnover for a tap in two. Context: I don't birdie much yet--maybe once every three rounds. Pars per round rising nicely though. :)
Where are you finding Fierces that cheap? They retail at $22...

The hand feel is different. There's not so much a bead on the Spin, but there's a pointed lip at the bottom of the rim. Inside, where the inner wall of the Fierce goes up straight to a corner, the spin goes up and curves around the same diameter as my pinky. I could definitely see it not being for everyone. The Ion and Anode(?) share the same inner-mold, and have the same curve.

The hand feel is different. There's not so much a bead on the Spin, but there's a pointed lip at the bottom of the rim. Inside, where the inner wall of the Fierce goes up straight to a corner, the spin goes up and curves around the same diameter as my pinky. I could definitely see it not being for everyone. The Ion and Anode(?) share the same inner-mold, and have the same curve.

GottaGoGottaThrow (G3T)

It's the closest store to me (and somehow affiliated with the Preserve). You can find more expensive Fierces there in Z and other such, but so far I'm very impressed with the feel and performance of the Jawbreaker ($12.99). It's a disc I can easily flip up or turnover, and my max drives are still sub-300. The Fierce does whatever I want it to up to about 225.

I can foresee buying a few of them over time and allowing some of them to age out.

...but there's a pointed lip at the bottom of the rim.

I find that uncomfortable on FH, although the discs being discussed in this thread probably mostly pertain to my (lame but developing) BH.

I find that uncomfortable on FH, although the discs being discussed in this thread probably mostly pertain to my (lame but developing) BH.
It's an odd shape, for sure. Unlike anything I've ever felt. It's not so much that I'd feel uncomfortable throwing a short flick with it, but the Spin isn't really the kind of disc I'd try to forehand unless I was in a really weird lie. Like, in a bush. Even then, I'd probably use a Watt if I needed to go left. It's definitely a more traditional putter feel...

Hunting around on various internet sites, I am up to 4 Fierce putters, and paid $12.99-14.99. Just have to wait and watch - deals are out there. My buddy has a few, and swears they are always over $20. Lol. I am a spin putter, and I have pitted over 50 putters against each other regularly, and Spin always loses out. Winners are Fierce, and Jawbreaker Banger-GT (especially better if windy). JBGT is so straight, but it requires a little more oomph to get to the basket, or it might win out period, hands down. But, giving more oomph when putting causes more misses, and that let's Fierce sneak ahead most of the time. Spin is okay for putting, but not top ten. While Fierce and JBGT are both good for approach shots, my Watt excels there, but I only throw putters with a fan grip - no power grip.

Discgolfcenter.com is good! $30 minimum for free shipping (lowest I have seen), fair prices (not great), and decent selection. Right now they have Fierce special blend PP and Tour series metallic Z both at $14.99. When it comes to spin putting, don't be afraid - be Fierce!

I've got a stack of about 12 putter blend Fierces. They're what I putted with until the third day of DGLO this year, since last fall sometime, when I put away my APXs because they're discontinued.

The Fierce and the Spin putt, for someone who spin putts with clean form inside 100 feet, identically. The Spin feels a little better in my hand, costs consistently less without hunting for sales, and thanks to a grippier plastic, has less ground play on misses. The only Fierce that slows down on the ground like the Spin is the Soft Fierce, and their flight plates are soooooo floppy that it makes their release angles inconsistent, especially on warmer days.

I've got a stack of about 12 putter blend Fierces. They're what I putted with until the third day of DGLO this year, since last fall sometime, when I put away my APXs because they're discontinued.

The Fierce and the Spin putt, for someone who spin putts with clean form inside 100 feet, identically. The Spin feels a little better in my hand, costs consistently less without hunting for sales, and thanks to a grippier plastic, has less ground play on misses. The only Fierce that slows down on the ground like the Spin is the Soft Fierce, and their flight plates are soooooo floppy that it makes their release angles inconsistent, especially on warmer days.
I only have one Spin, and it just doesn't fly quite straight enough for me. Goes a little left and a little right too often. It is also a little too floaty - would land too far away from the basket too often. I think it is base plastic - premium plastic might work better. I say that because I have two used base plastic Pures, and they both suck. Floaty and not straight enough. A few days ago I found a Pure Opto, no ink, and I only just started messing around with it, but it flies very straight, and goes a long ways easily (even more than the Fierce), which helps me with putting because the less effort a putt/throw takes, the easier it is to keep it on target. I am anxious to put this Pure Opto into putting practice "competition" and see what it can do.

That Opto Pure flies nice - I like it a lot - I just wish it had a smaller diameter. It seems very big diameter in my small hands, which makes it a little harder for me to get the consistent release I want. The huge diameter reminds me of my Maiden. Released well, though, Opto Pure flies very straight, and it doesn't require much power to go a long ways. It is 175g, and after using it for warm up practice, 27 holes playing, and then for a couple hours of practice (as 1 of 10 putters, alongside the Spin, 4 Fierces, 2 Jawbreaker Banger-GTs, and 2 other 'new to me' putters), I say it is among my top 10 best putters, and I need to give it more work - see if I can get comfortable with it so I can get a more consistently good release, because if I can, it could overtake Fierce as my putter of choice. For spin putters with bigger hands, I bet this is an awesome putter.

Last edited:

Latest posts