• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Myth of Disc Pivot

masterbeato said:
BrotherDave said:
I would absolutely love to see an overhead camera view of Beto throwing. It's really hard for me to conceptualize this rail thing without seeing it in real time and I tried watching the "driving with Dan Beto" vid but it just looks like any other throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj6kpdnYJzc

Here you go BrotherDave, this is a vanity video "MyThrow" shot last year and it has some angles and an overhead shot (1:58) including one in slow motion at 2:04.

Sorry it took so long!
wow, great video dan. your throw is so smooth. was that all filled at the valley dgc? i got a chance to play that course on a very windy day in october and still loved it.

masterbeato said:
Agreed, I just do these exercises to avoid long term injury and keep my body in shape and more consistent with my throw. There is really no good reason to "not" workout in my opinion. I just basically use a hand exerciser and clamp down short quick bursts as opposed to slowly closing your hand with the device. It is like doing any other exercise but you do it quickly in short bursts. I do it for my legs, abs, shoulders, arms and hands. It is very tiring but eventually you start seeing the benefits.

I've been doing the exact same thing with the hand excerciser, I keep it in my car and us it during my 40 minute commute. By the time I get to work, I can barely type. :lol: Lunges seem to help out a great deal with balance. Very important for me because I have long skinny legs. When I stop working out, my distance and accuracy suffer.

chunk said:
masterbeato said:
BrotherDave said:
I would absolutely love to see an overhead camera view of Beto throwing. It's really hard for me to conceptualize this rail thing without seeing it in real time and I tried watching the "driving with Dan Beto" vid but it just looks like any other throw.

Here you go BrotherDave, this is a vanity video "MyThrow" shot last year and it has some angles and an overhead shot (1:58) including one in slow motion at 2:04.

Sorry it took so long!
wow, great video dan. your throw is so smooth. was that all filled at the valley dgc? i got a chance to play that course on a very windy day in october and still loved it.

Thanks Chunk, yes it was filmed at the Valley. Extremely fun course. I am liking the new changes made to the course as well.

Stringbean said:
masterbeato said:
Agreed, I just do these exercises to avoid long term injury and keep my body in shape and more consistent with my throw. There is really no good reason to "not" workout in my opinion. I just basically use a hand exerciser and clamp down short quick bursts as opposed to slowly closing your hand with the device. It is like doing any other exercise but you do it quickly in short bursts. I do it for my legs, abs, shoulders, arms and hands. It is very tiring but eventually you start seeing the benefits.

I've been doing the exact same thing with the hand excerciser, I keep it in my car and us it during my 40 minute commute. By the time I get to work, I can barely type. :lol: Lunges seem to help out a great deal with balance. Very important for me because I have long skinny legs. When I stop working out, my distance and accuracy suffer.

haha thats awesome. yeah i find if i stop working out muscles i am used to working out with i get fatigue i am not used to and my game tends to slow down, lack of concentration probably because of the lack of juices flowing through.

Dan, what are you putting with nowadays? what's in your bag in general? you've been MIA for a while now...

Is it bad to curl the disc a little toward your forearm? To try an adding a little more pivot or snap. It almost looks like Wysocki does this.

jwb said:
Is it bad to curl the disc a little toward your forearm? To try an adding a little more pivot or snap. It almost looks like Wysocki does this.

It should happen naturally if you keep your wrist loose and the disc close to your chest during the pull.

PMantle said:
Dan,

What's that song in that video? Thanks.

It is actualy a song from a local group "Buffalo Alice" written by Alex Aaron, the same man who did this video but I do not know the song title unfortunately.

keltik said:
Dan, what are you putting with nowadays? what's in your bag in general? you've been MIA for a while now...

I am putting with KC Aviars. Yeah I have not been doing much of anything with DG lately, I was traveling a little bit last year but that was it. Went down to Iowa to play the G&L Clothing Challenge.

jwb said:

To learn snap, yes. To add snap, it doesn't do much. What you may be seeing in his throw is similar to what Timmy Gill used to do in his throw was tilting the forearm pulling back then uncorking back to normal as the pivot was happening. That adds strength.

masterbeato said:
PMantle said:
Dan,

What's that song in that video? Thanks.

It is actualy a song from a local group "Buffalo Alice" written by Alex Aaron, the same man who did this video but I do not know the song title unfortunately.
Using that, I found this video. It must be "Dragonfly". You can hear it in the background at times. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrX8THe4R0o

There we go!

I personally dig his music. It is a good way to get your music out there just throw it in a Disc Golf video.

masterbeato said:
BrotherDave said:

Sorry it took so long!
Word, thanks brother!

Now I can't believe how much power you have, your throw is so effortless and your pivot just looks really underwhelming compared to mine. I feel like a complete failure whenever I see you throw. :lol:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24903&start=15#p393954

I know this may be a foolish question but I'm not making any progress with the distance of my shots. Where is the target in the picture posted near the beginning of this thread? If the target is to the right of the page then I've got the whole thing wrong and I have to reconstruct my shot from scratch, Ughhhhh : (

dlwiener said:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24903&start=15#p393954

I know this may be a foolish question but I'm not making any progress with the distance of my shots. Where is the target in the picture posted near the beginning of this thread? If the target is to the right of the page then I've got the whole thing wrong and I have to reconstruct my shot from scratch, Ughhhhh : (

The target would be at the top of the page. The diagram isn't exact, but you would be roughly 90 deg. away (+/- a few degrees) from the target at the hit.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24903&start=30

I'm still confused? You're whirling around in a clockwise circle and at the top of the arc, top of the page, the hit, the disc leaves perpendicular to the circle, not tangent? In this enhanced diagram I believe the disc is the pale green circle. I'm thinking that the Purple shape on the edge of the pale green circle is like the head of a hammer. How can the target be at the top of the page if the hammerhead is to the right of the page for the good throw, shouldn't the disc go in the direction of the hammerhead at the hit, like to the right? Or maybe, does the hammerhead to the right cause the disc to rip out of you fingers and go perpendicular to the whirling circle, to the top of the page? Thanks for your patience, I just can't seem to wrap my head around what seems like magic...all I know for sure is that my throws are dreadful!

the target is straight up (north) in the picture. The pale green circle is the disc, the purple shape is your hand. Hopefully that clears things up for you

dlwiener said:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24903&start=30
Thanks for your patience, I just can't seem to wrap my head around what seems like magic...all I know for sure is that my throws are dreadful!

This is also more of an advance techinque. If you aren't throwing your fairways in the range of 325-350, then you likely have some fundamental flaws in your form that should be corrected first.

Latest posts