• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep reading that driving practice should be done in a field and not in a disc golf course. Why is that? Wouldn't it make sense to practice where you play?

Thiis is what I do, I have a hard time visualizing lines in a field whereas on a course I have to throw a line. It makes sense to me but most people will say they do better in a field. Either way.

I keep reading that driving practice should be done in a field and not in a disc golf course. Why is that? Wouldn't it make sense to practice where you play?

well if your at a course you can only throw the lines given compared to a a field you can practice them all.

I believe i was throuwing a C-PD and just turning it over and allowing it to flex then when its about 5 feet high so it skips and skids under the basket

Thanks for your reply!

What do you mean by "allowing it to flex"?

Also, do you lean back and start the flight with anhyzer, or is it coming out flat and turning over from the discs flight characteristics (understable at the speed you are throwing it)?

It is amazing that you can get that height around 5' when it hits the window 300 feet away, especially when you can't see it from the tee. Keep up the great work!

When you go name some Disc lines, I suggest you use "Sound" and "Fury", then you could refer to the famous speech in MacBeth (later used by William Faulkner for his novel "The Sound and the Fury"). :p:confused::D

Last edited:
Mental Focus....hey look a butterfly...

Are you entirely thinking about the round your playing in and each and every shot?

What do you think about in between holes during these long tournaments?

Thanks in Advance

On the playoff hole at the memorial, after coming off that many birdies how come you didn't fire at the pin to put pressure on him. Or did you miss your line a bit. I can see how you didn't want to dump it in the drink and all buT hand him the title. Really I'm just interested in how you viewed it.

My feeling is an open field allows me to test out different lines and gets me more accustomed to the discs in my bag. I dont get to do this that often though.

Paul,
Q about distance control. You have clearly mastered throwing your discs just where you want/need them to go.

Using your teeshot on #18 in final round at Memorial as an example, [~450ft teebird]. The video you posted shows a straight line flight, landing just short of the basket and skidding forward...thing of beauty

How does one learn to gear up or gear down a teeshot like that for say 50ft less or 50ft more? Is the control factor more in your run up, reach back or pull? :confused:

thx in adv

paul you dig your one foot into the ground when about to putt is this something you do in practice or just to focus and reset to rely on muscle memory when putting.

Thanks for your reply!

What do you mean by "allowing it to flex"?

Also, do you lean back and start the flight with anhyzer, or is it coming out flat and turning over from the discs flight characteristics (understable at the speed you are throwing it)?

It is amazing that you can get that height around 5' when it hits the window 300 feet away, especially when you can't see it from the tee. Keep up the great work!

When you go name some Disc lines, I suggest you use "Sound" and "Fury", then you could refer to the famous speech in MacBeth (later used by William Faulkner for his novel "The Sound and the Fury"). :p:confused::D

i lean back and force it over, so when it starts to hyzer is when i want it to hit the ground and skip under the trees

Mental Focus....hey look a butterfly...

Are you entirely thinking about the round your playing in and each and every shot?

What do you think about in between holes during these long tournaments?

Thanks in Advance

in order to keep mental focus you need to be able to go in and out of that state with out being easily distracted.

normally you talk about anything besides the round you are currently in. some pre motivational stuff is normally the best for me.

On the playoff hole at the memorial, after coming off that many birdies how come you didn't fire at the pin to put pressure on him. Or did you miss your line a bit. I can see how you didn't want to dump it in the drink and all buT hand him the title. Really I'm just interested in how you viewed it.

My mental attitude was just throw it in bounds. It was Wills tournament to lose at that point. I wasn't going to go at it and fall in the water, He had a mental mistake thats cost him 2 strokes and i know it wasn't his first event so i wasn't going to just give it to him.

Paul,
Q about distance control. You have clearly mastered throwing your discs just where you want/need them to go.

Using your teeshot on #18 in final round at Memorial as an example, [~450ft teebird]. The video you posted shows a straight line flight, landing just short of the basket and skidding forward...thing of beauty

How does one learn to gear up or gear down a teeshot like that for say 50ft less or 50ft more? Is the control factor more in your run up, reach back or pull? :confused:

thx in adv

i think it has to do with everything, your run up, you pull back, pull thru and follow through. slowing down everything is really good way to not throw off time or tweaking with your form.

paul you dig your one foot into the ground when about to putt is this something you do in practice or just to focus and reset to rely on muscle memory when putting.

i push off pretty hard with my back foot so that is just securing that there won't be a slip on my push off

Status
Not open for further replies.