• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Problem with Pro's

Give them the opportunity to dunk noobs in a dunking booth, but they have to use a Boss from 400' though, this is disc golf after all.

I would also point out that Rocky Mount and Kinston both having long running saturday singles events on the same weekend that Zebulon has chosen to do theirs the last couple of years. When you use the same weekend as two other 20-30 player events that have been going, it's definitely going to cut into your turnout. (I know I would come in play in Zeb with you guys and gals if I couldn't just go 45 minutes shorter to RM.)

That said, all 3 events always seem to get acceptable turnout, but the situation is not exactly ideal.

The primary difference between pros and amateurs is that the pros are literally in it for the money. That's what makes them "professional." So if they're not joining, it's probably because you're not offering enough of what they want: money. The trick there is you have to have the money to pay them. I don't think you can accomplish this with weekly league stuff, unless they just want to come out for the practice and try to win the end-of-season prize as gravy.

All this is to say I don't think the pros should be your primary target "customers" for your club unless you plan to host community-sponsored tournaments with large payouts, and even then I doubt you're going to force a pro to join your club before he can play. So just don't worry about it, and don't try to offer everything to everyone.

I would also point out that Rocky Mount and Kinston both having long running saturday singles events on the same weekend that Zebulon has chosen to do theirs the last couple of years. When you use the same weekend as two other 20-30 player events that have been going, it's definitely going to cut into your turnout. (I know I would come in play in Zeb with you guys and gals if I couldn't just go 45 minutes shorter to RM.)

That said, all 3 events always seem to get acceptable turnout, but the situation is not exactly ideal.

We are definitely aware of this! The Pro Turnout is OK, of course it could always get better. I think with us being on the east side of Raleigh, we should all work towards improving our schedule amongst the three clubs. It's hard tho, b/c a lot of the board running the events play PDGA's as well, so we are just trying to work around our own schedules and tourney's with a big draw.

The primary difference between pros and amateurs is that the pros are literally in it for the money. That's what makes them "professional." So if they're not joining, it's probably because you're not offering enough of what they want: money. The trick there is you have to have the money to pay them. I don't think you can accomplish this with weekly league stuff, unless they just want to come out for the practice and try to win the end-of-season prize as gravy.

All this is to say I don't think the pros should be your primary target "customers" for your club unless you plan to host community-sponsored tournaments with large payouts, and even then I doubt you're going to force a pro to join your club before he can play. So just don't worry about it, and don't try to offer everything to everyone.

This is a good point. We can't afford to do more monetarily than we already do quite honestly. Mostly due to cash set aside for a Doubles Point Series and Bag Tag Winners at the end of each season.

And thanks for mentioning Nate Bond, he was at a lot of our events...and usually cleaned house...and usually seemed pretty content with his payouts! Discs and T-shirts for CTP's and Cash for Division wins.

Nate came and stayed at my house for my 2 day PDGA in Va. He didn't clean my house. I'm going to call that little basta**.

I'll tell you what i'll do for the Zebulon Disc Golf Club to boost the pro membership. I'll join and you can announce that i'm a member. That should shame all of the local area pro's into joining. I have a rich history in that area. I used to basically live in that area every weekend either with Mansfield, Haney or LL.

I'll tell you what i'll do for the Zebulon Disc Golf Club to boost the pro membership. I'll join and you can announce that i'm a member. That should shame all of the local area pro's into joining. I have a rich history in that area. I used to basically live in that area every weekend either with Mansfield, Haney or LL.

That would be awesome!!! Dave has been a great supporter and workday helper for us, including Brian McRee, who was back out on the course this weekend for the first time in competive play in a while.

Member packs are slowly coming together. I will PM you and give you my contact info.

Attachments

• VID00144.jpg
    VID00144.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 30
hell i live in raleigh i guess i need to join and make it to a tourney i once played a round in ztown with curtis super nice guy he gave my buddy a champ teebird

Cool! I saw him give a kid a champ leopard and a pro aviar while he played a round with us. It took over 3 hours to finish that round b/c Curtis helped him soooo much the whole time!!! I kind of miss him and Jackie, even tho Jackie beat me everytime I played her!

Come on out! We'd love to have you, we usually get some pretty good donations locally, food or something for lunch. Monthly's are fun!!!

I think we should offer a membership (minus the bag tag) for $5 less. That will bring more people in, and not everyone is seriously competeitive.

Clubs have an ebb and flow that is often/usually tied to the politics of power and personality. The main club in the greater Raleigh area (RADL) was one of the largest and most active (if not #1) in the country for a long time several years ago. But things grow old and stale and personalities often wear on each other and something that is supposed to be fun becomes less than fun. So, people take the attitude of "why bother?"

As a neighbor to them in Charlotte (and a BoD member of the CDGC for years) I paid some attention to things and heard stories. You would do well to chat with Kirk (if you haven't already....and/or chrishysell) to get better scoop and direction on how to rope in the Pro's.....or to find out if it is even worth the effort in helping attain your club's mission.

I agree, it's nice to have a group of pros in your club. But generally pros seem to be less involved with a local club activities because they're focused more on winning tournaments and traveling. And that's fine.

So get your local Ams involved. In a couple years, a few of the good ones will turn pro and will be more likely to stay involved with the club.

Thanks Chris for joining the club! I can't wait to play with you and get some tips!!!

Also, Kirk was a member this past year and a tremendous help to our club, especially in helping us keep Discraft stocked. I don't know what's going on with RADL or who is running things. I know the guys that do the tourneys; MTL, JJ, Mike N, and Kirk, but I think mostly everyone just gets busy with life, ya know?

There just has to be a new wave of people to step up and do it. Zeb more than proved that local players are looking for events outside of PDGA's to play and win some decent money, including AM's that get to leave with premium plastic! The formula for success is becoming more and more simple the longer we do it.

Latest posts