• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] The unLace

Can anyone compare the unLace to a Mamba in terms of flight characteristics?

I have found the unLace to be a bit less sensitive to nose angles. I used to try and hyzer flip a Mamba and it had to be dead on to get it to hit right. The unLace is more forgiving, and less prone to turning over as well.

Well I could give detailed reasons if you wanted :hfive:

Those sites can be more nimble about their display options and product variants because it's a more manual system, whereas ours is tied to custom receiving software and a multi-site inventory database. I built the Grip EQ store recently, and it is set up for 1:1 option:image. The new DN site runs on that same platform and we plan to implement our take on the 1:1 photo feature at a future date. Because of our system automation, we're having to develop new software and hardware. It's actually super fun stuff as an ongoing project, but I understand the frustration for you currently :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the updated site :D

Stop it
I am in love with my saint / fury combo
No no no no more I can't take it.
I just need to stop reading this thread!!!

Well I could give detailed reasons if you wanted :hfive:

Those sites can be more nimble about their display options and product variants because it's a more manual system, whereas ours is tied to custom receiving software and a multi-site inventory database. I built the Grip EQ store recently, and it is set up for 1:1 option:image. The new DN site runs on that same platform and we plan to implement our take on the 1:1 photo feature at a future date. Because of our system automation, we're having to develop new software and hardware. It's actually super fun stuff as an ongoing project, but I understand the frustration for you currently :)

This, I do enterprise software development using MVC.net, adding a new piece to a larger website takes a ton of time. But, once its in place, its way better than the same piece non a smaller site.

Long story short, zam is right!

Hey onemile - what weight is your unLace? I'm looking for the noodle arm recommendation. :D

Hey onemile - what weight is your unLace? I'm looking for the noodle arm recommendation. :D

Mine is 171 and flies nicely. I would imagine you could get it even further with less effort a few grams under that. I usually throw drivers in the 164-168 range.

I'm torn whether I should try one out or not. I have flat 166g medium Lace which flies well for me with my 275-300ft power, which can also be a little flippy if my form is off. I don't throw it much during rounds because I'm not very consistent with it. I'm not sure if the unLace would do much of anything for me that my Lace can't. I'd love to have more distance, but if I'm going to sacrifice the accuracy of my Ascent and Trak, then I'd rather not even bother. Thoughts?

I'm torn whether I should try one out or not. I have flat 166g medium Lace which flies well for me with my 275-300ft power, which can also be a little flippy if my form is off. I don't throw it much during rounds because I'm not very consistent with it. I'm not sure if the unLace would do much of anything for me that my Lace can't. I'd love to have more distance, but if I'm going to sacrifice the accuracy of my Ascent and Trak, then I'd rather not even bother. Thoughts?

Lace or unLace... At 300 feet of power neither disc is getting up to speed and performing like it was designed. But with that said at under 20 bucks for a disc, why not try it.

Lace or unLace... At 300 feet of power neither disc is getting up to speed and performing like it was designed. But with that said at under 20 bucks for a disc, why not try it.
Regardless, whenever the marketing machines spin up, declaring a high speed driver good for beginners, I perk my ears up. Aside from my somewhat flippy Lace, I've not thrown anything faster than a speed 9 driver for over a year. It would be nice to break the 300ft threshold on a regular basis, but I don't care to do that if I'm losing accuracy.

I threw my friend's brand new medium 174 UnLace the other day. I was fresh out of my car, no warm-ups. First throw, I put significant hyzer on it, unintentionally got the nose up -- it turned to flat, then hyzered out..... 380 feet later. This was a pretty crappy throw that I would have expected to have traveled about 320 with a disc I normally use (I throw a maximum of about 405).

Second throw, I was more warmed up. Slight headwind. Threw with hyzer (not enough), got the nose down. It turned into a roller and rolled on a rather strange line, somehow finally ending up 400 feet away in exactly the spot I would have wanted the air shot to land. Odd. But cool that it went that far.

This disc probably has crazy distance potential for people with moderate arms. Seems comparable in flippiness to a Mamba. Interested to see if I could dial it in and make it useful, or if it's just too touchy. Might have to pick one up and use it as my understable distance driver in wet/cold conditions (I use the Lace as my stable distance driver during grip-challenging conditions).

Last edited:

While generally true, my experience throwing the unLace prototype suggested that this actually isn't applicable for the unLace. It's really understable, so much so that it seems to more geared towards lower power players than those who regularly throw high speed drivers. Opinions vary on this, of course, but the unLace struck me as being the exception to this rule.

Regardless, whenever the marketing machines spin up, declaring a high speed driver good for beginners, I perk my ears up. Aside from my somewhat flippy Lace, I've not thrown anything faster than a speed 9 driver for over a year. It would be nice to break the 300ft threshold on a regular basis, but I don't care to do that if I'm losing accuracy.

I'm in the same boat in that I don't throw anything higher than a speed 9 as well. The biggest issue for me with the unLace is the larger rim. If you take some time to get used to it, you will see greater distance and break that 300 threshold. Whether you decide that you "shouldn't be throwing it because you can't throw 300 otherwise," as is the mantra on this forum, is up to you. But it certainly is easy distance for those with less than stellar power or form.

I picked up a 166 medium Unlace today - all I can say is wow, you guys were right. I was getting 20 extra feet out of it before I was even warmed up. Had my two of my longest throws ever in one round. Nice!

The speed 13 rim didn't feel all that awkward in the hand either.

This is my first 9+ speed driver and i'm having issues with this disc just hanging a right and never coming back. I'm throwing my valk and teebird 300+ and every once and a while I will get the unLace to cooperate and bust out a beauty but that is few and far between.

This is my first 9+ speed driver and i'm having issues with this disc just hanging a right and never coming back. I'm throwing my valk and teebird 300+ and every once and a while I will get the unLace to cooperate and bust out a beauty but that is few and far between.

That's kind of the point… that's what the disc is supposed to do. It's really understable.

Throw it on a hyzer angle and it'll flip up to flat, or give it a LOT of air so it can flex back (a lot of air).

I let my buddy test this out and he got one of his longest throws ever. His go to is a broken in SJLS and the longest I've seen him throw it is probably 340-350, he threw the Unlace at least another 30', looked like 380-400. I'll post the video this weekend.

I parked a 300' hole with the Unlace this morning I've never come close to before. This disc is becoming a difference maker for me. I feel like there could be more distance yet to come as I dial it in.

Another unLace Success Story

I posted these thoughts in the Vibram megathread, but I wanted to place them here too for posterity.

Just wanted to chime in with my $.02 on the unLace after taking it out for a round today for the first time.

My interest in this disc was first piqued by onemile's report that he was getting it out 25'+ farther than his other throws; results like that for a ~300' thrower are nothing to sneeze at. So I snagged it, curious to see if I would have the same results with it, and boy did I ever.

I regularly throw my fairways ~315' feet, maybe a bit more at times (I've been seeing an uptick recently as I've been cultivating more snap and starting to better feel the hit). I was getting the unLace out to 325'-350'+ easily, on long, booming turnovers. It was a beautiful thing. My home course's 425' par 3 went from being a challenging gauntlet to an easy par - after having parred it maybe once in my life, I got three consecutive 3s today, all thanks to drives that positioned me for an easy layup approach. This thing is going to open up so many lines and shot possibilities for me.

The first challenge I noticed to learning this disc for me was trusting how truly understable it is - it's more so than my Underworld (although the difference in speed between the two muddles things a bit). If I throw it flat at full power, it'll turn and burn every time (but into a beautiful roller: I rolled one out to well over 400' today, and part of that was uphill). Psychologically, I was having a hard time trusting the disc to turn over from a 30+ degree hyzer angle, but that's exactly what's required for me to make this thing soar.

Beyond that, it's just acclimating to seeing lines that far out: I've never before had to mentally envision the lines that I can put this disc on. In that sense, I actually see this disc as a great learning tool: it'll teach me to look for new, long distance lines and shapes. I'll assess longer open holes much differently than I have in the past.

Plus, the unLace's understability means that you get the good parts of throwing a distance driver (the extra distance) without the bad (OAT & other form issues). This thing will likely smooth out my form on higher release shots, which I don't presently throw too often.

Outside all of the above, it was just damn fun disc to throw. I got such a kick out of consistently throwing noticeably farther than I ever have before. It's just that simple.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more to say about this disc once I get more chances to work with it, learn its nuances, and explore its possibilities, but I just wanted to share my exuberant initial thoughts. Hats off to Mr. Steve Dodge and company for a winner!

Qikly, I concur. Today I tried throwing it with less power but more control, much like the finesse throws I make with Diamonds and Underworlds, and it flew flat and straight, and while not as far as when I rip it, still further than my other discs. I was surprised as hell that it would power down so well.

It is the rare wide-rimmed driver that flies true at lower speed.

Latest posts