• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Throwing 1st runs

I was thinking about this when I saw Proto Star Vulcans at MS for $25. I carry 2 in my bag and they are the best discs I've ever thrown, hands down. I also have 2 ProtoStar Archons in there too.

I also realized I have 4 Ace Discs in my bag. I think retiring an Ace disc is just about the worst thing you can do. That disc is lucky! Keep it in the bag to rub off on the others.

I bought a 180g 8X KC Pro Roc (The one that goes for $185 new on eBay) when they first came out and knew right away it was a great disc. So I put it in my bag and throw it all year except the fall. The tan color blends in well with dead leaves. Now it has all the nicks and gouges a disc that old would have and still flies straight.

I wish I had bought the other 3 sitting there that day for $20 each. :wall:

picture.php

I didn't even read any other posts.

I'll make this as simple as possible. Discs were made to be thrown not kept on a wall! (unless you got an ace on it).

I have some candle stick holders that I bought for $5. They haven't made this kind in 10+ years. Do you want to pay $50 for them? I'd be happy to sell them to you.

It's called supply and demand. It is what fuels markets and capitalism. Maybe you have heard of it.

It's called supply and demand. It is what fuels markets and capitalism. Maybe you have heard of it.

there are plenty of newer discs that came out of the same damn mold.

im going to start stock piling old sony tv's from the early 90s to sell in the marketplace here. by disc golf logic they are waaaay better than the newer ones.

i kinda feel that disc golfers are hipsters that don't realize it.

Markets are all perception. I bielieve almost all discs are as good as any other. It's just about adapting and accountability for your throw. I am #1 supporter in that it's the thrower not the disc. Of course it's natural that what makes you most comfortable will work best. It's also natural that some items can take on somewhat arbitrary value based on supply and demand. Throw what you like but don't scoff at some for wanting to retain value in items they own.

i don't care about the people who collect awesome discs because they are OOP or have w/e stamp. i am really hoping i don't become this way so i can save some $$$.

i just think its annoying when people say a current production disc was made better in year X. its the same disc.

that's easy when you throw discraft, it's all pretty cheap :p

Its not about the money. Seeing that i dont have cable or play video games, i can easily rationalize my purchases. Even though innova usually costs more, i could find ce pearly whatevers easier then i could rr comets or esp magnets.

The more we throw them, the fewer new ones that remain. Supply goes down, demand stays put, price goes up. The brazen first run throwin souls are making discs more valuble or pricey for the masses. So goes it. Its like we're the 1% of disc golf, fatcats dictating market values. Kinda sounds like free trade

I dont throw first runs of anything but there are sum that feel super i.e. first run boss

Do both! Nothing wrong with buying a wall hanger. Just buy two, one to throw and one to look at. Heck, I have some discs that will never be thrown.

there are plenty of newer discs that came out of the same damn mold.

im going to start stock piling old sony tv's from the early 90s to sell in the marketplace here. by disc golf logic they are waaaay better than the newer ones.

i kinda feel that disc golfers are hipsters that don't realize it.

Whoa! Dont be throwin the H word around like that!

A hipster would be throwing new stuff that is unheard of in their area or ironicly crappy brands....so daredevil and quest?

I approach my disc collecting like i do my punk & ska record collecting; they are all ment to spin, but i mind as well try and get the 180 vinal in the limited color, or pressing.

I carry a first run of every mold in my bag except Preds and Ions. A disc I don't plan on throwing is a disc I am going to get rid of.

first run discs are like rare trading cards that you can throw long distances in a competitive and fun manor.

I carry a first run of every mold in my bag except Preds and Ions. A disc I don't plan on throwing is a disc I am going to get rid of.

I honestly am starting to feel like that...I traded away some barstamp buzzz's because I didn't really care that much about how they looked. However, I love the protostar stamp and have around 5 untouched innova protostars and I think its time I throw those badboys in some baskets...

Also, I watched some of your vids and ended up buying a QOLF and a vector. The vector is by far the best headwind mid I have ever thrown, it is unbelievably reliable. I haven't thrown the QOLF enough yet to understand it.

Glad you enjoy the vids. I find the Vector really predictable for approaches. For a while I only threw putters for approach shots and threw mids more like most people do fairway drivers but the Vector kind of changed that.

OLF's are a lot of fun. They tend to start out sort of like a PD in that they'll go straight, glide far, then fade predictably. Once they develop some high speed turn, that's where the fun begins. they can shape an absurd amount of lines once they're broken in.

I didn't even read any other posts.

I'll make this as simple as possible. Discs were made to be thrown not kept on a wall! (unless you got an ace on it).

I have some candle stick holders that I bought for $5. They haven't made this kind in 10+ years. Do you want to pay $50 for them? I'd be happy to sell them to you.

there are reasons to hang a disc:
Some can have meaning. The disc from the meet up at flyboy is on my wall to remind me of that meet up.
I have a Hammerhead on the wall because I think it is an awesome stamp with the seaweed going through the circle stamp, and the disc is obsolete.
I have a glow dolphin on the wall because getting one was a long difficult search and now I get to see it glow super bright every night before bed.