• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Straight

Use the Whippet as your overstable only disc, but I wouldnt use it as your only disc.

Looking at your discs in your profile; I would say carry these:

Innova DX whippett 170g Only For when you want it to fade hard

Pick One
Discraft Elite X Challenger 172g
Discraft DX magnet 165g
Innova DX aviar 165g
Innova DX birdie --
Innova DX polecat 165g
- Dont mind the jokes you will hear

Pick One
Innova DX shark 150g
Innova DX shark 175g
-Can carry both sharks
Innova DX wolf 175g

This has no drivers whatsoever as the ones you have, you still have a ways to go and I would say you are too heavy for your distance on fairways. Mids and putters it might be ok to be a little heavy but if you go to get a new fairway driver, I recomend going maybe mid 160s and you might even want to try some 150 class and I would stay away from the champ/Z or Star/ESP/FLX type plastics.

Right now, you would be fine with either the Sharks or the Wolf but if you really want to get a fairway driver involved, I suggest in no particular order

Leopard: Looks like you had one but it was heavy
Cheetah
Gazelle
Cyclone
Panther
Impact: Sort of right between mid and fairway.

Something else to keep in mind is the nose angle and trajectory of your throws. It's possible that the original poster's discs are fading hard at the end of the flight because he's throwing them high up in the air instead of keeping them low. He could also be putting hyzer on his throws, or throwing nose up. What I mean is it's not necessarily OAT or lack of snap or lack of acceleration that's the main culprit.

I threw only my DX Shark 170 today and found it easier to control than my DX Shark 150. The 170 Shark is deadly accurate where the 150 is harder to control due to its lightness. I also threw a whole round with my Challenger. It's not as accurate as the Shark, but it's pretty close.

off axis torque. It means anything you do that results in a secondary rotation of your body that isn't a part of the singular body rotation to propel a disc.

In other words, my run up and follow through may also be a hindrance. I've also found that my DX Viking 170 is actually a good distance driver for me.

The advice in this thread has helped me greatly with trying to correct my form. I found that I was stiff arming every throw and not following through. I have also disc'ed down to my Mids and putters and found I throw them as far as I was throwing my drivers with more accuracy.

The problem I am now having is that my release point for the disc is way off. I throw RHBH and since adding a follow through to my throws the disc flys way to the right. Does anyone have advice on how to correct the release point of your throw, or does this just come with playing more?

The advice in this thread has helped me greatly with trying to correct my form. I found that I was stiff arming every throw and not following through. I have also disc'ed down to my Mids and putters and found I throw them as far as I was throwing my drivers with more accuracy.

The problem I am now having is that my release point for the disc is way off. I throw RHBH and since adding a follow through to my throws the disc flys way to the right. Does anyone have advice on how to correct the release point of your throw, or does this just come with playing more?

Normally release timing comes just with practice. Your brain will fix the timing after a few full rounds.

go to a soccer field and throw from one net to the other until you are making it in the net consistently, that's what i do for conditioning/accuracy practice

off axis torque. It means anything you do that results in a secondary rotation of your body that isn't a part of the singular body rotation to propel a disc.

I've always thought "off axis torque" referred to torque on the disc, not on your body. My understanding is that a throw released with OAT will wobble in flight like a coin settling on a table. The gyroscopic force of the spin tends to even this out as the throw progresses, and the more edge-weighted drivers will "mask" OAT by killing it very early in the flight.

Am I wrong?

I've always thought "off axis torque" referred to torque on the disc, not on your body. My understanding is that a throw released with OAT will wobble in flight like a coin settling on a table. The gyroscopic force of the spin tends to even this out as the throw progresses, and the more edge-weighted drivers will "mask" OAT by killing it very early in the flight.

Am I wrong?

Well...what you do with your body is reflected on the disc. So when your body is off axis with the line it typically shows in the disc flight. Not all oat shows up as wobble, but the bad stuff typically does.

I assume that's a movie reference that I'm not getting. :(

yeah, The Big Lebowski...can't believe that someone on this forum hasn't seen that movie...sorry though, because if you don't know why i said that, it probably made me look like a big wanker

Oh I've seen The Big Lebowski a couple of times. I'm just not good with movie quotes. :doh: