• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I think if I were to do it all over again I would have gotten a lighter thunderbird, I've got a 175 champ and the thing is a laser for ~300-350 then dumps hard left... Never tried to throw it on an anny but I don't think it would hold the line at all. Great disc for crosswinds and something that's gotta bank left, I just wish it was a little less dumpy

I think if I were to do it all over again I would have gotten a lighter thunderbird, I've got a 175 champ and the thing is a laser for ~300-350 then dumps hard left... Never tried to throw it on an anny but I don't think it would hold the line at all. Great disc for crosswinds and something that's gotta bank left, I just wish it was a little less dumpy

You ought to try it on those anny lines. You'll probably be surprised. :clap:

I started experimenting with them late last fall (champ variety) and they are an amazing do everything disc. They took 2 spots in my bag. Backhands and forehands, it is equally proficient. Its like the firebird and valkyrie made a perfect little child.

I'll be sure to next time I play. Would you hit yours on flex shots or do they hold the anny all the way? I can't imagine it wouldn't come out of an anhyzer regardless of how hard I chunk it

I'll be sure to next time I play. Would you hit yours on flex shots or do they hold the anny all the way? I can't imagine it wouldn't come out of an anhyzer regardless of how hard I chunk it

Oh mine will definitely flex out of the anny line, but they hold it for a while and can get a lot of distance that way.

I'm about to start cycling dx Thunderbirds.

Would anyone like to talk me out of it?

Bought my son a yellow DX Thunderbird for his b-day to replace the Gstar one of mine he lost.* Nicest DX I've ever seen/felt.

*See how that works with kids?

DX Thunderbirds are great. You have to get them down below 160g in my experience before they start to get less stable. The heavier ones are the most overstable Thunderbirds available when new in my experience. I keep one in my bag for that slot. They are pretty durable too; takes a while before they start to mellow. Of course depending on how many trees you hit or parking lots you land in, ymmv. These will be my primary distance driver when the weather starts to get wet this winter.

What kind of max distance is everyone getting with their Thunderbirds?

What kind of max distance is everyone getting with their Thunderbirds?

I can get my star/pro out to about 380 on a flex line which is definitely distance driver territory for me (although I rarely throw DDs on flex lines). I'm guessing that once I dial in my 140g Thunderbird, I'll be able to hyzer flip it out to around 400 but I've only had a little field time with it due to vacations and such. My heavier DXs still have a pretty dumpy fade (more than the star or pro) so they tend to flex out about 20 feet shorter than the star/pro on a similar line.

I hated the stars when they were first released. Are they still super stiff and dumpy?

The dx is the perfect longer teebird once seasoned a bit.

It seems to me that the DX Thundies are less stable than the flat JL Teebirds. When they are brand new they fly kind of similar, the DX Thunderbird has perhaps a little more glide and carry, on the low end they seem pretty similar with slightly dumpy fade. The Thunderbird will hold an anhyzer, only panning out before it hits the ground while the Teebird will fight out much quicker, it will actually flex for me. The JL Teebirds are much more of a utility disc while the Thunderbird is more of a straight to fade driver

I traded a Legacy Phenom for a Champion Thunderbird recently just to give it a whirl and it has now become my go to disc for 300-330ft. That thing is so sweet on a slight anny.

I just finished reading all 140 pages of this thread; I think I'm turning into a Thunderbird fanboy!

This disc does just about everything right for me:

relatively small rim
--1.9cm instead of 2.0cm+
--this rim configuration is the perfect anthropometric fit for my hand. It just feels RIGHT.
-----note to self: you're a dork.
widely available
--I'm not looking for an obscure disc, replacements will be easy and common at tourneys.
variety of plastics
--I like choices!
--the Champs are PERFECT for me right out of the box. Nailed it, Innova.
-----I wouldn't mind trying a gummy Champ or the 2011 era opaque Champ plastic from 2011.
--The current DX run is absolutely PHENOMENAL. I wish more of my DX were made with this stuff!
-----I'd be interested to see a domey DX with this blend. Mine are flat.
--oddly enough, I have been least impressed with the Pro but it still has its uses for me. In the end I will probably only bag DX and Champ.
available in 150 class and lower weights
--yeah, I know. I'm weird.
not ridiculously overstable when new (I'm getting 400-ish feet consistently)
--I have a Champ Firebird/Z Pred if I need really overstable. And I usually don't.
--she'll shape lines pretty well once she starts beating-in. For me its like a longer Eagle-X instead of a longer Teebird.
--I love how long this thing holds an anny. She can pick up major D when slightly turned and given a little height.
Good glide
--I like glidey discs. This one isn't the glidiest but its good for the stability.
--she likes the low lines. I don't always like to air out an Eagle-X, sometimes I need the lower line.

Things I don't like as much:
Wind resistance
--It will easily flip in the wind. That's the price you pay for the lower stability.
Durability
--patience eludes me. I want a ThB roller NOW. Even the DX is surprisingly durable.
-----Note to self: that's why I carry a Sidewinder or a Leopard.
-----also note to self: I would also complain if it weren't durable enough. Lose/lose 
Could be slightly longer
--My ThB's are jealous of my PDs.
--note to self: ThB is not my distance driver; I have other discs for this.

That's my 2¢ worth. Hope it helps other people who might be interested.

Last edited: