• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To smoke, or not to smoke, that is the question

sorry, its just the whole 'who runs a marathon, who hikes 12 miles' argument that seemed ridiculous and completely off-topic in what is otherwise a (surprisingly) great thread.

back on topic, i was curious and was reading articles on the effects of outdoor second hand smoke. this quote was particularly funny to me-

"For example, if you're at a sidewalk café, and you sit within 18 inches of a person who smokes two cigarettes over the course of an hour, your exposure to secondhand smoke could be the same as if you sat one hour inside a tavern with smokers."

seriously? within 18 inches? if you're not familiar with that distance go get a measuring tape and then stand 18 inches away from someone. now tell me that if you're a non-smoker that you'll remain that close to someone that lights up. That distance essentially puts you shoulder to shoulder. hell i don't even sit that close to my fiance' most of the time. how can anyone site that as a credible real-life example?

sorry, its just the whole 'who runs a marathon, who hikes 12 miles' argument that seemed ridiculous and completely off-topic in what is otherwise a (surprisingly) great thread.

back on topic, i was curious and was reading articles on the effects of outdoor second hand smoke. this quote was particularly funny to me-

"For example, if you're at a sidewalk café, and you sit within 18 inches of a person who smokes two cigarettes over the course of an hour, your exposure to secondhand smoke could be the same as if you sat one hour inside a tavern with smokers."

seriously? within 18 inches? if you're not familiar with that distance go get a measuring tape and then stand 18 inches away from someone. now tell me that if you're a non-smoker that you'll remain that close to someone that lights up. That distance essentially puts you shoulder to shoulder. hell i don't even sit that close to my fiance' most of the time. how can anyone site that as a credible real-life example?

Thanks for clearing that up! I thought it was directed at me and Gianetics posts. Sometimes it gets confusing when a bunch of people post at the same time, and your post doesn't end up after the post that you intended it too.:doh::p

sorry for jumping a little off topic there. smoking anything on the course is defiantly a dividing issue. i respect everyone s opinion here it is easy to get into the heat of the moment. possible compromise might be the way to go on courses where this is a problem. make a few smoking areas though out the course away from benches and teeboxes. people who smoke, for the most part dont want to break the law. Most just want a place to have a smoke. theres a good chance it would greatly reduce cig butts spread around. if given a couple of legal places to smoke most would take advantage and use the areas. and if you dont smoke it would be easy play through quickly and have minimal contact since you know where people will be smoking.

Smoking causes cancer, those who smoke should try and quit.

by the way, no we are not a democracy we are a republic

Democracy: a system involving multiparty elections, representative government, and freedom of speech.

In Democracy the majority (85% in your scenerio) decide the rules upon which the other 15% will live.

by the way, no we are not a democracy we are a republic

Democracy: a system involving multiparty elections, representative government, and freedom of speech.

In Democracy the majority (85% in your scenerio) decide the rules upon which the other 15% will live.

Technically we are a democratic republic, also a constitutional republic. We elect the people that makes the rules and stuff. Yes, that was a simplified definition.

Smoking causes cancer, those who smoke should try and quit.

I love the fallacious arguments our schools instill in us from a young age. More liberal propoganda. And when I speak of liberalism, I'm talking about the scholarly movement; not the political one.

The above statement should read "Smoking causes cancer, those who smoke should try and quit if they want to eliminate all carcinogens from their life."

Or something like that. I don't mind getting cancer. You all put too much value in a solitary human life. In my opinion.

The above statement should read "Smoking causes cancer, those who smoke should try and quit if they want to eliminate all carcinogens from their life."

Morality is about, at the very least, maximizing human well-being. From a moral perspective, the sentence doesn't need to be qualified with '...if they want to eliminate all carcinogens from their life' because it is a bona fide fact that carcinogens decrease human well-being.

I don't mind getting cancer. You all put too much value in a solitary human life. In my opinion.

...says the fellow who has (by virtue of your very existence) taken great pains to preserve his own 'solitary human life'. Give us a jingle when your lungs are being eaten from the inside out by cancer and then tell us how silly we were for worrying about it...

There's nothing better than that first cigarette during a round where you're stressed.

I can think of a few things. Lung cancer, emphysema, yellow teeth, bad breath, stained fingers, etc. don't appear on that list.

Back to the original topic, there aren't any smoking (or alcohol ) restrictions around here that I have seen other than at the middle school course, which I understand, for obvious reasons. But I do have to say this, being a disc golf player that smokes, extinguishes and disposes of every cigarette butt accordingly, I notice a whole lot more beer and soda cans as well as water bottles than I do cigarette butts. In fact, because of this, I have made it a mission on every disc outing to pick up all trash found on atleast one course played that day. Many times I end up with atleast one full garbage bag of cans and bottles, both plastic and glass. As far as the littering aspect, I believe the butts will be gone long before these cans and bottles. Half the time this trash is less than ten feet from a trash can. I'm afraid that if the amount of littering overall continues, they will ban any usage of anything other than discs on courses throughout the country.

my question is, if second hand smoke is so "powerful" why don't non-smokers become addicted to it when exposed?:confused:

9915385.jpg

I can think of a few things. Lung cancer, emphysema, yellow teeth, bad breath, stained fingers, etc. don't appear on that list.

Agreed, there are better stress relievers than something that will slowly kill you while degrading your appearance and bank account.

Latest posts