• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Tsunami

I am intrigued to try some DGA discs now. What are some other favorites for you guys and what do they compare to?

A lot of them are very unique. The Hurricane is a lot like a Destroyer. Rogue is a lot like a Wraith. Aftershock is somewhat Roc-like. Breaker is a Ringer. Reef is an APX.

My favorites are the Hurricane, Squall, Breaker, and Reef. Hurricane is an awesome go-to driver. Squall is the only understable mid I like (it's not terrible understable, and starts out very straight). It's pretty fast, and fills my mid and fairway understable slots. Breaker is a nice overstable putter with a pretty mild fade. It also fills my straight mid slot. Reef is probably the straightest disc on the planet. Any line you put it on, it holds.

I'd say the Tsunami is very Eagle-like.

Agreed on the Tsunami being Eagle-like. The few I have thrown have a slight turn to them with a very healthy fade.

Tsunamis are great! I think they fly similar to a C-PD.

Mine are dead straight with a big'ol sexy fade at the end.

I have a ProLine 165g. Started out as a meathook and is now dead straight with a big forward fade.

Exactly. I almost gave up on Tsunamis. They aren't stable enough for a Firebird or Pred replacement, but they season into lasers w/ reliable late fade. My 8.5/10 165g Proline is money. I got it on eBay b/c it had a cool F-15 stencil dye (and it was $6), and now "Jet Li" is one of my favorites.

I just picked some d line tsunami's for $4.50 on amazon. I got the light ones the heavyer ones were $7.something. anyway they fly freakin fantastic. Not as os as my proline's or sparkle, just right for shaping lines.

Tsunamis I've stacked so far:

147g D Line - I rarely throw it b/c its soo straight, I don't want to mess it up. Seems to have more glide, so I love it in a tailwind

165g Pro - Jet Li. F-15 stencil dye. My favorite Tsunami.

165g Pro - had it for a few weeks. Its almost identical to Jet Li, but a touch more OS, b/c its in better shape. Thanks Rol6566 for selling it to me. The other day, a city mower ran it over. Not with the blades, but he nailed it. I couldnt believe it. Now the leading edge is a little knarled up.

171g Pro - just got it used and its similar to how my 170g S-Line DD Hysteria flew. The True Detective "flat circle" sharpied on it might have influenced my eBay purchase, but I have no regrets.

173g Pro - Boy Named Sue. I dyed a Johnny Cash silhouette on it (but everyone thinks its Ben Franklin). Really, really seasoned, but not chewed. I can only throw it 80%, but when powered down, it actually flies like a slightly more OS SP Undertow. This has been a great disc to show me how they beat in. Basically, the more I use them, the easier they'll get to throw.

175g Pro - newest and most OS. Just enough for me and my terrible flick form. I did a shaving cream dye on it, which turned out pretty good. I threw it in a pond literally the next day. A few weeks later, I went swimming for it. When I found it, I fist pumped like I just nailed a 100' birdie. No man left behind. Unfortunately, it was the only MIA disc I found. Made me feel uniquely bad.

i've thrown SP tsunamis, but not proline. tell me how far that new proline is flying for you and what kind of a shape the flight takes?

I threw the 171g about 330' today. That's about what I throw all my Tsunamis comfortably. I can push them out to 350', but I usually throw Hurricanes for that. I've thrown the 147g D-Line close to 450' on flat ground in a 10mph tailwind, but probably 375-380' consistently. Its my longest Tsunami.

The 165g flies very similar to a C-PD. The 171g is like a S-DD. The newest 175g is just a beefier version of the 171g, like a brand new S-DD. Sorry I'm so hung up on Discmania comparisons. The 165g could also be comparable to a Champ Orc, but the 175g is a toughy. I've heard Eagle comparisons, but I've never thrown one. How bout this one? Its like a Discraft Z Talon.

For lighter discs, the 165g Pros fight the wind well. I almost aced a 330' 10mph headwind drive that lasered the whole way and missed just right. The whole group went silent for the last few seconds waiting to hear chains.

Tsunami is the disc I'm asked "what was that?" the most. Its a crowd pleaser.

I just bought a 1st Run Sparkle Tsunami. It has the Proline stamp on it, but its translucent. I don't have an SP, and this one caught my eye. Does anyone know anything about these?

tsumamis pair very nicely with the undertow as well.
IMO proline tsunami = champ eagle sp tsunami = star FL

I just picked some d line tsunami's for $4.50 on amazon. I got the light ones the heavyer ones were $7.something. anyway they fly freakin fantastic. Not as os as my proline's or sparkle, just right for shaping lines.

All-encompassingly!

I've played 3 or 4 rounds with a new 170g D-line Tsunami. It started out like a broken in Proline. As it broke in, the fade took longer and longer to kick in. I'm to 30-40 rips with maybe 3-5 tree knocks, and it is deadly straight. My plan is to cycle these D-lines as my fairway workhorse.

Can anyone give me an idea of how D-lines will continue to beat in? I'm guessing they will eventually get flippy. Do they develop glide? The Prolines beat in to fly similar to the SP Undertow. I'm hoping the D-lines get to the point where they turn like a Star Leopard, even powered down. I want to be able to laser them 300' w/o a run up.

I just bought a 1st Run Sparkle Tsunami. It has the Proline stamp on it, but its translucent. I don't have an SP, and this one caught my eye. Does anyone know anything about these?

I field tested it, and it flies very similar to my 7.5/10 11x Champ Firebird, but with less glide. They faded about the same, and landed in a pretty tight shot group, with the Tsunami fading and dumping faster. The Tsunami was unthrown, so time will tell how long it stays that way. That said, I rarely flick, so it might be a while. It's why I still have a 11x Firebird; bought it new and didn't throw it enough to lose it.

All-encompassingly!

I've played 3 or 4 rounds with a new 170g D-line Tsunami. It started out like a broken in Proline. As it broke in, the fade took longer and longer to kick in. I'm to 30-40 rips with maybe 3-5 tree knocks, and it is deadly straight. My plan is to cycle these D-lines as my fairway workhorse.

Can anyone give me an idea of how D-lines will continue to beat in? I'm guessing they will eventually get flippy. Do they develop glide? The Prolines beat in to fly similar to the SP Undertow. I'm hoping the D-lines get to the point where they turn like a Star Leopard, even powered down. I want to be able to laser them 300' w/o a run up.

My most beat d line tsunami is flying like a sweet spot eagle x. I field tested both of them and the tsunami flies a little faster but has a little less glide, so they eneded up giong the same distance. I also like that I can use a sparkle or proline for more overstable duties, so then I can cover all of my fairway duties with just tsunamis and leopards.

Rocked and all DGA bag today, including the bag. I feel like the only thing missing in the DGA line-up is a true stable to understable 7 speed fairway driver. That and Torrent in SP. Come on DGA! Maybe they are waiting until they sell 100 Torrents in ProLine before running them in SP.

One of the things I like about the Tsunami is that it is not going to glide away into the forbidden appointments of the course.

my (limited) dga knowledge

hurricane- originally intended to be the force ss
tsunami- predator prototype
riptide- modified wildcat
undertow- unnecessary xpress ss
squall- beadless storm
rogue- the flash ss that never was
reef- an apx
aftershock- retooled torque
shockwave- retooled buzzz
titanic- challenger redux

there are more but meh... brain fart.

my (limited) dga knowledge

hurricane- originally intended to be the force ss
tsunami- predator prototype
riptide- modified wildcat
undertow- unnecessary xpress ss modified Pred prototype
squall- beadless storm
rogue- the flash ss that never was modified Surge
reef- an apx
aftershock- retooled torque
shockwave- retooled buzzz Also retooled Torque
titanic- challenger redux Taller Magnet w/ Challenger stability

there are more but meh... brain fart.

It's been alleged that Breakers are Ringers

Necro bump here, but I have a question about the Tsunami. I am interested in trying one out and was searching around for them in D-line. It seems like most of the D-lines are low-weights (150 class). Does anyone know if they stopped making D-line Tsunamis in normal weights? Only a couple vendors seemed to carry them...

I have 2, 166g and 171g. The 166g got beat in just looking at it. The nose is too sharp to make for a good base plastic mold. Just as beefy as Proline when new. Proline beats in pretty fast so I don't see the point of a Tsunami in D-Line, and they sure are scarce. D-Line Tsunamies aren't listed on the DGA website so they very well may not be molded any longer.

I have 2, 166g and 171g. The 166g got beat in just looking at it. The nose is too sharp to make for a good base plastic mold. Just as beefy as Proline when new. Proline beats in pretty fast so I don't see the point of a Tsunami in D-Line, and they sure are scarce. D-Line Tsunamies aren't listed on the DGA website so they very well may not be molded any longer.

Yikes - not being on their website is probably a bad sign. I will look into the prolines instead. Thanks!

The 166g got beat in just looking at it

This gave me a chuckle.

I don't bag D Tsunamis, but I try to save some fresh ones for rainy/wet/cold rounds for grip. They feel great.

But you're totally right about them beating up so fast because of the sharp nose. I also couldn't make them work because they develop too much turn and they get touchy with power.

Since I'm ranting, here's a weird Tsunami story. I bought a "Proline" from an online retailer a few months back, and they sent me a D-Line. This kind of thing had never happened to me, and I wasn't thrilled paying premium for baseline, but I didn't bother making a stink about it. A couple weeks later, I ordered a "D-Line" Tsunami from a different online retailer, and they sent me a Proline. Go figure those odds.

Last edited:

Latest posts