• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Twin Cities/Central MN must play

R-Ogre

Double Eagle Member
Going to escape the rain for a couple weeks and visit family in Plymouth (Minneapolis area) and St. Cloud. I knew the STC area courses pretty well 15 years ago, but I imagine there have been some changes there, and I've only played Acorn and Plymouth in the Cities. What are the top 1 or 2 must-plays in that area? Worth it to trek to BRP or the Preserve?

I haven't played them all over there, but a little more than half probably. BRP is fun, but a little overhyped imo. Same with Visionquest. But they're still definitely worth considering. I think Bethel University is my favorite, with Kaposia and the Valley right behind. Others to consider.

Lakewood Hills
Kenwood Trails
Bryant Lake (I've never played)
Crown college
Sportsman Hill ( I haven't played since redesign)
Hidden Lake

The preserve is decent imo. I prefer wooded golf though.

IMHO, BRP is slightly overrated, but it's definitely a destination course. I really enjoyed Vision Quest, but it's not for everyone.

Of those the Minneapolis area courses that I played, Bryant Lake was my personal favorite.

Kaposia was quite good for about 18 holes or so. There's a string of holes toward the end that seemed ridiculous. I honestly think 18 hole layout is better than the 27... but during a road trip, you want the "full experience." In retrospect, had just played the 18 hole layout, I can honestly say I would have enjoyed it more.

I'm sure a local can give you a more info, but that's this visitors take.

Last edited:
Last I heard Visionquest was in rough shape. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.

And I totally forgot earlier, you gotta play one of them with the cones if you're nearby, just because. There's one each on the north and sides.

Hansen park and Moir park.

Last edited:
I haven't played them all over there, but a little more than half probably. BRP is fun, but a little overhyped imo. Same with Visionquest. But they're still definitely worth considering. I think Bethel University is my favorite, with Kaposia and the Valley right behind. Others to consider.

Lakewood Hills
Kenwood Trails
Bryant Lake (I've never played)
Crown college
Sportsman Hill ( I haven't played since redesign)
Hidden Lake

The preserve is decent imo. I prefer wooded golf though.
My brothers have been playing Bethel lately. Plymouth is right by the in-laws but I don't love it. Acorn park was p. good. Hope to get a chance to check out some of the others you mentioned.

Bethel isn't terribly far from BRP either. Visionquest is literally 5 minutes from BRP as well. You can't really go wrong either way. But I'd definitely recommend Bethel.

Better hit up Plymouth Creek. It is supposed to be getting a major renovation this fall - the removal of holes 2-4 so they can expand a parking lot. It is not going to be the same.

And I totally forgot earlier, you gotta play one of them with the cones if you're nearby, just because. There's one each on the north and sides.

Hansen park and Moir park.

Very glad we hit Moir after Bryant Lake. Those cones are unlike any other DG experience I've had. Definitely worth squeezing in a quick round if you can.

Chains Edge in Mora area. Little out of your way I am sure but well worth it. 36 holes.

I looked it up, I guess it's 24 holes now. Which could be even better, a couple holes on the shorter course seemed out of place and forced, but I'm not sure which ones are being used for the new layout. Better then BRP or Visionquest for sure though.

I looked it up, I guess it's 24 holes now. Which could be even better, a couple holes on the shorter course seemed out of place and forced, but I'm not sure which ones are being used for the new layout. Better then BRP or Visionquest for sure though.

OK I am dumb, they added more holes! It's 48 holes now. I was just looking at one course. To be fair I played it many years ago.

Going to escape the rain for a couple weeks and visit family in Plymouth (Minneapolis area) and St. Cloud. I knew the STC area courses pretty well 15 years ago, but I imagine there have been some changes there, and I've only played Acorn and Plymouth in the Cities. What are the top 1 or 2 must-plays in that area? Worth it to trek to BRP or the Preserve?

Annandale

But don't they have trees in the fairway there?

Nope.

And it was 48 holes when I played it, I thought it was 36 for some reason. I guess it was 4-5 years ago. I looked on udisc and it has another 18 hole layout called the blue course. Not sure if they are new holes or not though. Could be.

for central mn hidden lake is the wooded gem although it isnt rough around the edges anymoar and riverside is the open gem

for mpls area my top 3 suggestions would be

bethel
lakewood
choose between kaposia for history or bryant for well manicured or the valley for distance

brp is whatever

vq is terrible

preserve is an open ball golf course if thats your thing but it sure isnt mine and i doubt the course would be popular if it had a different less known owner

for central mn hidden lake is the wooded gem although it isnt rough around the edges anymoar and riverside is the open gem

for mpls area my top 3 suggestions would be

bethel
lakewood
choose between kaposia for history or bryant for well manicured or the valley for distance

brp is whatever

vq is terrible

preserve is an open ball golf course if thats your thing but it sure isnt mine and i doubt the course would be popular if it had a different less known owner

Learned to play at Riverside, still holds up 15 years later. Guess I'll skip the preserve, that ain't my style.

Played Kaposia today. Solid course. Agreed that the "bonus 9" doesn't necessarily add much to the experience. Going up to play Coon rapids in the AM bc my playing buddy suggested it. Hope to get Bethel on Saturday.

Bethel today. I can see why it gets a lot of nods as the best TC course. It kinda kicked my ass even with being used to playing in the woods but I enjoyed the ass kicking. Followed it up with Silverview as a wind-down which the reviews pretty much have nailed. It's 9 baskets with tee pads and fairways but the way it's put together it's not even really enjoyable as a pitch n putt. Would definitely play Bethel again, I think next on my list is Plymouth Creek (bc it's close and I'm tired of driving across the Cities 3 days in a row) and if I can get down there, Bryant Lake.

Last edited:

Latest posts