• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unless thrown at the proper speed, distance discs underperform...

What are we defining as the ferari? The super fast discs? I might think the Farari is a Valk or Teebird.

Is there definitive proof that a Boss will go further than a Valk? (lol thats kinda loaded there)

Of course the boss will go farther than a valk. It's designed to fly better.
A ferrari will always drive better than a mini van even if you NEVER use its 400+hp. But if you are crossing a busy town with both, you will get there about the same time, and the mini van might be a more comfortable easier drive.

For me, i only lose 10-20' in distance when i throw my Teebird vs. my Wraith. With the TeeBird, i can use (almost) pin point accuracy where the wraith, it a lot less precise. Nine out of ten times i can put the teebird exactly where i want it. With the wraith i am not so consistent. I can put it "in the general area" but picking an exact patch of grass to land on is a lot more difficult.

But, i also realize that i do throw the TeeBird close to its potential, and i realize that i dont throw the Wraith any where near its.

There is a reason the pro's say,"Anything under 400' is a Teebird shot".
They have the distance with the TeeBird and prefer the precision. They could throw something faster, but there is no purpose. Its like all of us using a wraith/boss on a 225' tee. Ironically, when we pull out our TeeBird/Valk/Eagle/etc, we (should) have very good precision and park the disc because we can control it (and it's speed rating).

IMO there is no such thing as a ferrari hole for a player throwing under 380- assuming a Ferrari is a fast overstable driver. I would bet a drone or zone would do the trick.

IMO the comet would be the ferrrari; if you don't have the skill to drive it, you'll crash into a tree;)

Does arm angle have anything to do with being able to successfully throw a particular driver well (I drive RHFH), while getting horrendous results with a different driver? I can throw a Groove about 300-330' consistently and with fairly good accuracy, but I can't throw a Valkyrie as far as my putter. I use the same arm angle and general mechanics... Am I not getting enough "speed" with the Valkyrie?

Yes backhand to forehand does make a difference for most players. Bh is pulling as fh is pushing. Fh usually creates more spin so discs that are high speed stable(usually a zero or positve # on most charts) are more common among fh (tracker, pulse, drone,).
However this is in reference to your basic hyzer shot( fading to right if rhfh/ fading left if rhbh). If your only throwing one way,bh or fh, you'll need to be able to anhyzer it(make it go opposite way).

this whole thread makes me laugh...i thought there had to be a punch line at the end or something...isnt it common sense that if you cant throw a disc at the speed needed to throw it, it wont fly how it is supposed to?

So it was mentioned in a different thread (I think) that the world record was set with a strong tailwind. This would greatly help a Valkyrie. Does anyone have any details or confirmation if this is true? And is there video anywhere? I could never find any and the "stop motion" pictures of the guys' form on the Innova site are pretty weak.

So it was mentioned in a different thread (I think) that the world record was set with a strong tailwind. This would greatly help a Valkyrie. Does anyone have any details or confirmation if this is true? And is there video anywhere? I could never find any and the "stop motion" pictures of the guys' form on the Innova site are pretty weak.

Yes, it had a strong tailwind, but I think they try to get those conditions on every distance record try.

A valk with a huge tailwind flies about like a Boss in normal conditions and since it's impossible to have a huge tailwind all the time but pretty easy to have normal conditions most of the time then the Boss sounds like the disc to carry to me. Why do you think it's called the Boss?

You don't always have to drop to a fairway driver. They have various stability's too. I realize you are speaking of speed. But I assure you, if you throw a Rogue or a Surge, which are close in speed to a Boss, you will out distance them with less arm speed.
The Katana and Nuke are evidence that the leading manufacturer's realize that with the newly achieved speeds they need to let up off the stability a bit.
Speed VS stability is a balancing act.

Im still so new to the sport but I have both a Rogue and a Z Surge and to date I threw my Rogue the first time and it went approximately 330 to 350 and then Sunday I threw my new Surge and it did have a downhill grade slightly but it was 305ft to the basket and it went around 45ft past the basket. I didnt know how these two discs compared to Innova which I mostly throw but someone told me the Surge may compare close to a Wraith. So I concur with these statements allthough I have threw a Boss and Groove over 300ft on rare occasion as well!

Why do you think it's called the Boss?

Bruce Springteen uses it...;)

I'm not sure I could even get around on a disc like that. I mean I could throw it, but I can get a pretty good snap off of my Valks and Predators, and get decent D (340-350 with Valks). I've struggled with Starfires, even though I like the disc alot, the rim is thicker and I don't feel comfortable with them. And Wraiths/Surges, wow, they feel huge. I got nothing more out of them then my Valks. Maybe just need to practice more with higher speed discs to see if I really can get any more distance out of them.

Last edited:
"Intended Speed" can be a pretty misleading term. I really doubt that a disc design team ever sat down and said "Let's design a disc that will perform extremely well when thrown over 400' but will perform horribly when thrown under 400'."

That being said, I would argue that on a wide open bomber hole, you get more predictability from a disc that you're throwing slower than it's intended speed than you do from a disc that you're throwing faster than it's intended speed.