• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unless thrown at the proper speed, distance discs underperform...

In a golf drive the spin comes from when you're hand changes direction and starts moving away from your target but the disc continues moving in the same direction towards your target and rips out of your grip.

This is why follow through is important. If your hand does not keep accellerating even while it's moving away from the target, the maximum rip, snap, spin will not be imparted to the disc. Wouldn't this be more important to tell people than just boycott all distance drivers? :|

...if you open your hand to release the disc like is common when throwing a backyard frisbee. The right side of the disc will still be moving at about the same speed as the left side of the disc and the disc will stall as is very common with newer players.

I'd qualify this to say that it is possible to pick up snap from wrist extension, though that ain't exactly a backyard frisbee flick.

Sorry, glad I could help?

Every time a disc physics thread gets started my brain does the equivalent of what a noob does with a max weight Boss. You're my hero for understanding any physics without being handicapped by drinking. :clap:

Every time a disc physics thread gets started my brain does the equivalent of what a noob does with a max weight Boss. You're my hero for understanding any physics without being handicapped by drinking. :clap:

Love the current Avatar Brother!

It really doesn't matter what disc is used. What matters is the wind conditions during the competition. For someone to have a chance to break the 820' record, they will need 20-25mph tailwind.

when they throw for distance, the result has been improved that much by tailwinds?

i'm astounded as playing in such heavy winds really tests a golfer's ability.... I know how i struggle in anything more than a light breeze....

25 mph tailwind.... i wanna try.... i bet i can set a bunch of personal bests.....

yeah the max d guys always use a tailwind, which makes the katanas so conducive for distance comps. only thing better for d than a katana is a katana with a tailwind.:D

and dave you have the best ratio of post:chuckle for me. thanks for keeping it lite. :D:thmbup:

I don't have a "big arm." I max out around 325' normally and can get up around 350-375' on my absolute best throws.

Anyway, I threw a 161g Champion Sidewinder over 425' with a strong tailwind once. It was a big hyzer flip with all sorts of dipping up and down in the wind. It was wild.

It'd be interesting to see "wind assisted" and "non wind assisted" records. I know that keeping two sets of records would be a big ol' hassle, but I'd really like to know how far the best can really throw with no "assistance." How about level ground, at sea level, with no wind?

Last edited:
yeah the max d guys always use a tailwind, which makes the katanas so conducive for distance comps. only thing better for d than a katana is a katana with a tailwind.:D

and dave you have the best ratio of post:chuckle for me. thanks for keeping it lite. :D:thmbup:

Keep drinking the Kool-aid!

Nuke goes farther and I put $20 on that. Especially in a tailwind and is the perfect stability for D plus it glides unlike anything I have seen before.

been looking forward to throwing one.

all the katana knockoffs actually...:p

and ace member, bitches. :p

been looking forward to throwing one.

all the katana knockoffs actually...:p

and ace member, bitches. :p

Pretty sure the Nuke was around 1st but just not produced until now. Discraft had sent Protos out a while back they were just having issues finding the right plastic for the disc.

Also neither is a good golf disc when it comes to actual usage on the course. If you are relying on these kinds of discs you have issues.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid!

Nuke goes farther and I put $20 on that. Especially in a tailwind and is the perfect stability for D plus it glides unlike anything I have seen before.

how does the nuke fly?

i know my katana pretty well... after a month of almost daily use, i have broken it in quite well....

I have a comment on the katana....
a month of almost constant use... i've finally broken in my star......
... i am almost considering buying a new one..... (for me) when it's newer it's like a longer TeeBird. Straight as an arrow as far as i can throw it with a clean fade in the end.... But a lot longer.

Now it's broken in, it really does feel like a sidewinder, wide sweeping s' that you know will (almost) always come back...... and i still need my SL for hard turnover lines. it's like the "perfect wraith" that goes out, flies forever, but at the end it doesnt end with the usual wraith fade it lands relatively straight ahead.

Anyone else had the same success with it as a long "shooter" (Hard and flat) rather than a bomber?

personally i find more use out of the shooter aspect than the bomber; I play a tight, precise 300'-400' par course. (lightly wooded)

Last edited:
Nuke flies basically on the dame flightpath as a Surge or Wraith just 10-15% farther considering you have the right arm speed for it.

I personally thought it was flippy but many AM players I let try it had a hard time getting it to turn over.

Nuke flies basically on the dame flightpath as a Surge or Wraith just 10-15% farther considering you have the right arm speed for it.

I personally thought it was flippy but many AM players I let try it had a hard time getting it to turn over.

15% farther.....
is that "off the rack" or "seasoned".

i really like the fact that an out of the box katana is a "loose" but long teebird for me. I dont throw it at max power, but i throw it flat and as controlled as possible.

"plug and play" is the key to my game.... if i can find consistency in other manufacturers...

a beat in katana is really nice, but i really like the throw of a new (overstable) katana. Its like a longer Teebird, or a straight wraith. (i throw a 170 wraith and katana)

(i realize i need to replace the beat in katana with the new one and i am wondering what the nuke represents.)