• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] What is known about the Passion?

After a long hiatus I have begun to play again and really miss my Cyclones. Was sad that they are OOP and expensive, but lo and behold people are claiming that this is a retooled Cyclone. I'm just posting to see if I can get some confirmation from the gallery. Thanks in advance.

Also if anyone has ESP Cyclones they want to sell for a fair price hit me up!

After a long hiatus I have begun to play again and really miss my Cyclones. Was sad that they are OOP and expensive, but lo and behold people are claiming that this is a retooled Cyclone. I'm just posting to see if I can get some confirmation from the gallery. Thanks in advance.

This is my Passion:

iEqjzOol.jpg

L6TdWe5l.jpg

Well, that looks a whole lot like a Cyclone with a + rim. I can work with that! Will try one as soon as the ol wallet let's me. Appreciation. :thmbup:

Well, that looks a whole lot like a Cyclone with a + rim. I can work with that! Will try one as soon as the ol wallet let's me. Appreciation. :thmbup:

I'm pretty sensitive on plus rims...and maybe these are a smidge compared to older Cyclones, but I've not noticed it feel wise. I think you will like them.

I know Ledgestone did a limited run of ESP Cyclones last year. I had one and it looked almost exactly like my Passion when I put them side by side.

Bump question

This discussion came up in older Cyclone threads and I think the consensus was that the Stalker was a smidge faster and more OS than a Cyclone but they work similar lines.

Stalker works a hard, straight line and the Cyclone/Passion is more of a line shaper kind of disc...if that helps.

This discussion came up in older Cyclone threads and I think the consensus was that the Stalker was a smidge faster and more OS than a Cyclone but they work similar lines.

Stalker works a hard, straight line and the Cyclone/Passion is more of a line shaper kind of disc...if that helps.
The thing with Cyclones (and why I need to get a Passion) was that the TP Cyclones had this magical "fade forward" thing to them, kinda like they would fade and glide at the same time. That quality did not translate to any other plastic. The ESP Cyclones flew Cyclone lines, but they would just fade. I'm kinda curious if the tweak of the Cyclone into the Passion gave it back any of the qualities the Cyclone lost when TP plastic went away.

Bump question

I've only thrown newer runs of ESP Stalkers and my wife's pair of ESP Passions. The Passion is way flippier than the Stalkers that I've thrown. I'm not a big arm and the Stalker is kind of a straight to fade disc for me. The Passion is a turnover disc for me even starting it out on a hyzer. It stands up slowly and starts working to the right and will hold that right movement pretty much all of the way and maybe work out a bit at the end and land flat.

I guess if the Stalker is your baseline for comparison then the Passion would be a really beat in Stalker.

Also, I don't know if it matters but my wife's Passions are both freakishly flat. I mean once you get past the rise of the wing the flight plate is flat bordering on puddle topped.

The thing with Cyclones (and why I need to get a Passion) was that the TP Cyclones had this magical "fade forward" thing to them, kinda like they would fade and glide at the same time. That quality did not translate to any other plastic. The ESP Cyclones flew Cyclone lines, but they would just fade. I'm kinda curious if the tweak of the Cyclone into the Passion gave it back any of the qualities the Cyclone lost when TP plastic went away.

I might have a spare Passion I'd be willing to swap out for a Comet...

Passion

Threw a Passion on the course for the first time today. First run ESP, unknown weight. Feels close to max weight.

Pretty disc, nice swirls. No dome. This thing is flat. Rim looks like a Cyclone, but this disc is flatter than any Cyclone I've ever seen.

Honestly, I wasn't much of a fan of the Passion. It has an uncomfortable hand feel, and the disc itself seems larger than other drivers, and clunky. Glide was unremarkable, and it has a fairly dumpy late fade. I wasn't able to throw the Passion very accurately because I never knew how much it was going to fade, or how much arm to put on the disc to make it turn.

The Passion will turn fairly easily if thrown hard and flat, but if you take a little off your shot the disc stalls out listlessly, short, and fades out hard. I couldn't really find a use for this disc. It flies like a cross between a Leopard 3 and an Undertaker. I found that the Passion wouldn't hyzerflip at all. The few times I tried that resulted in short hyzer stalls that looked ugly. Stubborn disc.

Given flight numbers for the Passion are 8, 5, -1, 1. The one I threw today was more like 7, 4, -1, 3. It's a bit slower than advertised, has less glide, and WAY more late fade. The Passion reminded me of a dumpy Eagle or Teebird, but has a way worse hand feel. There are about a million other good fairway drivers I'd rather throw than the Passion.

Distance-wise the Passion was OK. I got it out to 375' without a ton of effort. It isn't that the disc won't fly, it's that it won't fly consistently. The Passion can't seem to decide if it wants to be over or understable. The swooping, dumpy late fade this thing shows just kills its potential as a good disc. Not impressed.

Last edited:
We love your disc reviews, TW!

I always had a suspicion the passion was just a passin fashion.

I haven't thrown a passion (couldn't get over the hand feel in the store), but I've had plenty of random card mates chuck them. Especially in the woods.

They've generally flown like a bigger diameter leopard from what I've seen. There's always disc-to-disc variation, but what you're describing as the flight doesn't match what I've seen other folks do with them.

Again though, I couldn't jive with the hand feel either.

I quite liked the lightweight esp passions I threw when they first came out. The lightweight made the plastic gummy and easy to grip in to. I was not as much of a fan of just how scooped the wing felt-- kind of like a narrower rimmed Anax in that respect.

They definitely flew like a -1/1 or even -2/1 when around 160 or less, but I can see a full weight being beefier.

I rather just throw a beat to crap Teebird3.

Anyone have a side profile pic of this thing? Lots of complaints of hand feel.

Anyone have a side profile pic of this thing? Lots of complaints of hand feel.

IDK if you've ever thrown a Cyclone, but if you have, just imagine a very flat one of those. The rim is narrow and hard to grip.

I could be wrong, but I feel like the Athena will cover whatever deficiencies the Passion has.

IDK if you've ever thrown a Cyclone, but if you have, just imagine a very flat one of those. The rim is narrow and hard to grip.

I could be wrong, but I feel like the Athena will cover whatever deficiencies the Passion has.

Ah yes, a bit of a kooky lower lip and aggressively concave wing. Yeah kind of funny to look at something like the Passion compared to say, Eagles and Teebirds.

Makes sense why prior Teeb thrower Paul would make a slow fairway next on his list.

This is an interesting disc, and I kind of like it. It's a wider diameter than most drivers, which I think gives it the feel of something with less high speed turn. Wide diameters cause a disc to change angles slower. The wing doesn't bother me one bit, I actually find it fairly comfortable to grip.

I really like the glide and the ability to manipulate angles to hold lines a little easier than many neutral fairways. It hasn't proven to be 'better' than the undertaker for me, but there's more there for my game that makes me want to give it a nice, long audition. It flies more like I'd have imagined a pipeline to fly

This is an interesting disc, and I kind of like it. It's a wider diameter than most drivers, which I think gives it the feel of something with less high speed turn. Wide diameters cause a disc to change angles slower. The wing doesn't bother me one bit, I actually find it fairly comfortable to grip.

I really like the glide and the ability to manipulate angles to hold lines a little easier than many neutral fairways. It hasn't proven to be 'better' than the undertaker for me, but there's more there for my game that makes me want to give it a nice, long audition. It flies more like I'd have imagined a pipeline to fly

I'm actually considering pulling my passions in favor of something else, and the undertaker is one of the two up for the job (the other is the heat). How would you say the passion and undertaker compare, in terms of fade?