• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] What molds do u like in Gstar?

Not a big fan of the wolf...or dx plastic in general. And I dont think champion plastic is as good as VIP.

Personally not a fan, but they are selling extremely well and enough people like them that I encourage more production. Unfortunately, Star, then Champion, are lagging behind in production of newer discs.

There seem to be sparkled blends and swirly blends. The sparkled felt better and was more durable.

They are just too floppy for me, not a consistent release. But my B-Cup Destoyer, Blue Sparkle 168g, flies forever.

Just don't smash a tree, the plastic doesn't revert to original shape as well as star or champion.

solid points

I'm a fan of Gstar but the lack of easy to find star or champ discs of some new molds is frustrating.

I only have two sparkle out of around 16 Gstar but I would agree with your assessment.

Most desirable trait: cold weather flexibility and gripability. Another unique and potentially very desirable quality: significantly less skip yet still medium-high durability. Bonuses: more grip, good looks, less overstable. Some people just prefer the feel of discs with gstar's level of flexibility. Maybe for every disc, maybe just for one disc or another...I'm not one of them. Although I do find nice to occasionally carry a flexible putter to reduce movement after contact with the ground, but I prefer soft X for that.

Try a gstar firebird for spike hyzers that like to sit down.

I think it's fair to say, if you like the mold to start with, the g* will likely make a great compliment if you've got the room in your bag.

very desirable quality: significantly less skip yet still medium-high durability.

This is true for mids and putters, but a gstar boss and daedalus are the best skip discs in my bag, the flexibility allows them to deflect more gently off of uneven surfaces and stay lower for a more forward penetrating skip.

I like destroyers for about 10-20 rounds then they get flippy depending on how much you throw them but they seem super fast in g*star I was throwing boss's too but then I bought some first runs and I like those better. Roc3's are nice in Gstar too

This is true for mids and putters, but a gstar boss and daedalus are the best skip discs in my bag, the flexibility allows them to deflect more gently off of uneven surfaces and stay lower for a more forward penetrating skip.

Example: I checked out G* Daedalus and Boss at a shop awhile back. In heavier weights both were ok, but mid 160's and below both were flimsy garbage and had Blizzard-like air bubbles in the rim, clearly visible. Why that's necessary in anything but super-lights, IDK.

Example: I checked out G* Daedalus and Boss at a shop awhile back. In heavier weights both were ok, but mid 160's and below both were flimsy garbage and had Blizzard-like air bubbles in the rim, clearly visible. Why that's necessary in anything but super-lights, IDK.

It seems like with gstar they are being very ambiguous about when they are and aren't using blizzard tech, or else they have two slightly different foaming techniques. Right now in the factory store you can get an f2 gstar boss as light as 156, and a gstarLITE boss as heavy as 164. Weird. Also, my 160 gstarlite was stiffer out of the box than any other gstar, and flew more stable than my 175 gummy glow boss. It has a few tiny bubbles near the rim but not as obvious or as big as the bubbles in blizz champ.
I liked it enough that I picked up a 169 gstar boss in my next order and that one has tiny bubbles in the rim too! If you look at them from the top, you can't tell which is the gstar and which is the gstarlite. If I didn't love the way they fly and the awesome grip the inconsistency might turn me off of gstar completely. Since I do tho it's just an annoyance I'll keep putting up with(until kastaplast expands their lineup, that plastic is the shizz)

It seems like with gstar they are being very ambiguous about when they are and aren't using blizzard tech, or else they have two slightly different foaming techniques. Right now in the factory store you can get an f2 gstar boss as light as 156, and a gstarLITE boss as heavy as 164. Weird. Also, my 160 gstarlite was stiffer out of the box than any other gstar, and flew more stable than my 175 gummy glow boss. It has a few tiny bubbles near the rim but not as obvious or as big as the bubbles in blizz champ.
I liked it enough that I picked up a 169 gstar boss in my next order and that one has tiny bubbles in the rim too! If you look at them from the top, you can't tell which is the gstar and which is the gstarlite. If I didn't love the way they fly and the awesome grip the inconsistency might turn me off of gstar completely. Since I do tho it's just an annoyance I'll keep putting up with(until kastaplast expands their lineup, that plastic is the shizz)

Yes, this is what I was talking about, but much more noticeable on lighter weight regular G*, IME.

I currently bag a G* Wraith & Firebird. The G* Wraith gets used a lot and I really like it for very controlled BH shots. Really comfortable in my hand. The G* Firebird is a recent addition and I don't think it will stick around much longer. I prefer my Firebirds max weight and in Champion plastic. Might take that Firebird to make room for another fresh champion.

Latest posts