• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do?

"I picked it up and told him it was mine...here look at the signature on the rest of my discs."
"I stuck it in my bag and started to throw my drive."
"My bad angel almost said "shut up or I'll knock you on your butt."
"I also had a 60lb pit bull with me."

Yeah, you sound like a 'fun guy'...

Total dickmove.

Dude, do you live in a bubble? Sometimes the other humans have disagreements over stupid things and are not always rational. I tried my best to undue the situation that I caused and I'm the last guy out there looking to stir up trouble. The pitbull has nothing to do with the story...she was wandering around eating grass while I was talking to the guy... Nice job cherry picking the quotes.

Last edited:
I had something like this happen. I helped a guy get his disc off a layer of ice on the lake. It was white and he'd dyed it, bit I still recognized some handwriting as my own. It was a disc I'd lost a while before, and had abandoned after a short search.

I didn't say a word, just let him keep it. I'd abandoned it; he'd found it.

Months later, I saw that disc yet again... in the used rack at PIAS. No, didn't buy it back...

As a mechanic, i initial all my tools. Sometimes things walk away. Had many sockets bounce away in the shop, never to return. Had many things borrowed that disappeared. Still comes back to me not finding or keeping tabs. Eventually you gotta get over it and move on.
To the OP, you did it right, eventually. Props to that. I always try to return discs, and have mailed beat to crap dx trash back at my own expense (for my own convenience) because the guy wanted it back. I generally give away all my unreturnable found discs. Never hurts to spread the sport. That said, lost plastic is what it is. I find tennis balls on the course all the time. No one expects to get their dog's ball back. Have also found sunglasses and later returned them. (No clue why anyone wants blue blockers...) And car keys. That were left on the windshield wiper of the volkswagon that chirped when it was unlocked.
Not to preach, but being heavily attached to your gear in this sport with a high chance of loss is odd.
And the world turns onward....

If the OP takes it and I show up and he says "that guy is crazy, here is my name, I don't know what he is talking about". Well, what can I do? I guess I can't do much. People lie and get away with things all the time

However, if the other guy has some evidence, I am not inclined to give the OP any breaks.

So, in the eyes of the law, it's OK to be a thief but not OK to lie.

No land line or phone at work?

Fair point. However I rarely play courses near my house any more - so when I find a disc I am usually more than 100 miles away from my land line and presume that whoever lost the disc might be local (unlike me) and it doesn't help to drag their disc a hundred miles away. So I leave it somewhere "obvious" at the course and the next guy (who has a cell phone) can make the call in my place.

No cell phones permitted on work property (one reason I don't own one) and no personal phone calls allowed from company phones. And I spend a lot of time at work.

So, in the eyes of the law, it's OK to be a thief but not OK to lie.

I think you are being a little out of line with the reality of someone finding something or coming into lawful possession of it.

I think you are being a little out of line with the reality of someone finding something or coming into lawful possession of it.

Reality is everything that happens. If someone happens to have something that belongs to me and they know it is mine and they know I want it back, yet they don't want to give it back to me, that is (in my eyes) theft.

Pity you can't legislate morality.

The law be damned.

People give it the old college try when it comes to trying to legislate morality. Prohibition, drug laws, dry counties, same sex marriage laws....the list goes on. They just have not got around to Frisbee possession laws but I'm confident they will when a rich Senator has his plastic "stolen" by bad elements. Then things will change.

^2nd'd

The OP told us a real life story ( making it interesting) with real emotions about this silly little thing called a disc. I want to meet the guy who is throwing my disc too...I want to get all ornery and then just feel bad and gift it away...

+1 on this story
+2 if there were even more drama
-1 if there were a fist fight
-2 if the cops get involved

+5 if its JonCon involved in the fight
+10 if its caught on video

Reality is everything that happens. If someone happens to have something that belongs to me and they know it is mine and they know I want it back, yet they don't want to give it back to me, that is (in my eyes) theft.

Pity you can't legislate morality.

The law be damned.

The problem with that is you do not know how they came into possession of the disc.

The problem with that is you do not know how they came into possession of the disc.

And the problem with that is, this sociopath doesn't care how they came into possession of his disc.

And the problem with that is, this sociopath doesn't care how they came into possession of his disc.

Someone finding a used disc and playing with it is hardly a sociopath.

I get it. You have a very strong opinion about how this should all work.

I don't think that is what Joe was referring to. I hope...
He was. I believe, referring to the OP taking 'his' disc back. Regardless of the circumstances of ownership.
Mr Veritas, your input is greatly appreciated. And has pushed this thread in an unusual direction, as far as these things go on here. Thanks.

Someone finding a used disc and playing with it is hardly a sociopath.

I get it. You have a very strong opinion about how this should all work.

But you don't get it. I'm the sociopath. Does that make more sense?

But you don't get it. I'm the sociopath. Does that make more sense?

This was my take on what Joecoin said. He's the sociopath and would likely get himself in trouble.

While I think the disc still belonged to the OP, his breach of peace, while repossessing it, would have given the law no choice but to (at least temporarily) side with the finder/thief/purchaser/fence of stolen property.

This was my take on what Joecoin said. He's the sociopath and would likely get himself in trouble.

While I think the disc still belonged to the OP, his breach of peace, while repossessing it, would have given the law no choice but to (at least temporarily) side with the finder/thief/purchaser/fence of stolen property.

Yes indeedy, I have on more than one occasion been oppressed by the heavy jack boot of the man for following through on my life principles. I understand that I bring these consequences upon myself and I take full responsibility for my actions.

Abraham Lincoln is my hero. This does not mean I agree with everything he said.

For instance:

"Let every American, every lover of liberty, every well-wisher to his posterity swear by the blood of the Revolution never to violate in the least particular the laws of the country, and never to tolerate their violation by others."

" But I do mean to say that although bad laws, if they exist, should be repealed as soon as possible, still, while they continue in force, for the sake of example they should be religiously observed."

I would have done the same thing as you - told him "hey, that looks like the disc I lost out here a while back - look, it's my name and number. Did you end up buying it used from a shop?" Sounds like he would have stood there slack-jawed. And you know what, I hate to say it, but at that point I probably would have dropped it. It's a weird feeling being in a position these days of having too much to lose to risk going to jail or worse over some misunderstanding-turned-altercation. Is this what being an adult is like?? ew.

I will say the path of least resistance that still lead in the direction of you getting your disc back was to just put it in your bag and go about your business - at that point, you are strongly supporting the narrative of "there is no conversation to be had - this is my property." At that point it would take a lot of nuts from the other guy to make a fuss. And again, at that point I would just say "fine it's all yours smarty pants" and toss it to him.

Just not to start a new thread:

I found a pair of sunglasses on the course a couple weeks ago that sat in my bag since. No name/number.

Played a round with a couple buddies yesterday, showed them my find, and one buddy was like "are those [the brand, I forgot]? Ah, I lost those here!" He didn't request them back, but chuckled that I found them.

He's a guy that likes sunglasses. He has a pair for all outfits, essentially. Anywho, I gave the sunglasses back. Asked for no money and he said thanks. We continued our round happily.

/Also, i am kind of surprised this thread is still going. Probably has gone full circle a few times ;)

Cheers :)

Real interesting discourse in this thread. In a general sense I on one hand understand that the law says that a lost disc is still yours - this has been rehashed one or more times in every one of these threads. That being said I tend in the direction of finders keepers, mostly due to my outlook that a lost disc = litter. I think relevant to the weighing of moral actions, we should take into consideration that a piece of plastic being recovered from the woods or body of water carries its own benefit for everyone. I'm all for encouraging divers and bushwhackers to recover lost discs even if it means that a particular piece of plastic does not end up in the same hands that flung it and lost/abandoned it.

Furthermore, forgetting the benefit of recovering plastic from the woods and outside the letter of the law, I think there is a sweet spot somewhere on the continuum between "finders keepers" and unassailable property rights. I don't see much to be gained in discussing the rules surrounding keeping/returning found discs in general; I would say it's a subjective thing to be taken case by case.

Yes indeedy, I have on more than one occasion been oppressed by the heavy jack boot of the man for following through on my life principles. I understand that I bring these consequences upon myself and I take full responsibility for my actions.

Abraham Lincoln is my hero. This does not mean I agree with everything he said.

For instance:

"Let every American, every lover of liberty, every well-wisher to his posterity swear by the blood of the Revolution never to violate in the least particular the laws of the country, and never to tolerate their violation by others."

" But I do mean to say that although bad laws, if they exist, should be repealed as soon as possible, still, while they continue in force, for the sake of example they should be religiously observed."

Question for you - do you think ol' Abe could stomach any form of illegal protest? I don't know anything about his views relating to this aside from what you quoted above.