• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which overhand shot was this hole 17 WACO?

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Thumber? Or just a tomahawk? Looks like maybe the disc flipped over through the trees,but also kinda looks like it landed just like it was thrown. 6 minute mark Jared Stoll (i believe).

Hammer/tomahawk end thread.

I mean...of course discussion about the shot...but as far as which throw was used. Yeah.

Jerm said tomahawk on the Jomez coverage. He called those the new thumber or something like that. Crazy shot though.

Thumbers usually pan out

Depends on the disc, the angle you throw it on, and the height you give it. My thumbers are used for going up and over things. I throw them high with really overstable discs and they crash straight down and don't go far from the landing.

Depends on the disc, the angle you throw it on, and the height you give it. My thumbers are used for going up and over things. I throw them high with really overstable discs and they crash straight down and don't go far from the landing.

I have one hole that I throw an FD3 thumber, but it's not for over the top. That hole needs to get around trees and then flare in a short distance. I guess I don't know how to throw a high thumber that stops like a grenade.

Why thumber vs grenade for an up and over with no ground play?

will they make a mando for next year?

I wouldn't think so for one player.

I've seen people try it in practice rounds and fail badly.

Using google maps, that throw carried about 380 feet in the air with a ton of height and zero lift/glide. I'm amazed that it was even possible.

VERY hard to tell, but at full screen and 25% speed, it looks like his hand position is indicating tomahawk. Looked like it may have panned in mid-flight, but with the trees in the way it's really hard to tell.

for a RHBH thrower

Tomahawks pan to the right
Thumbers pan to the left

both have a similar flight with opposing shape. That one, in the video, panned to the right so it was a tomahawk. GripEnemy's post should have ended that debate.

Edit: For the sake of completion. An OS discs pans more slowly so it will get more distance. An US disc pans quickly and dives to the ground faster......your welcome.

Last edited:
Why thumber vs grenade for an up and over with no ground play?

Not sure. I just figured out thumbers work for me so kind of stuck with it.

I've only dabbled with grenades and struggled so just stuck with what works for my game.

Sounds like there was a tail wind from the fairway elbow toward the basket which would seem ideal for that tomahawk throw. Might not work as well with a different wind pattern, which may be why others with the power to try it had difficulties clearing it, reaching it or avoiding OB. As a course designer, I would want to prevent that route at least for daily play with too many underpowered players hacking through that woods trying to find their discs and slowing the course. As a promoter, it's an exciting shot for fans and video highlights and I would love to see a few attempts made. So, it's a literal "toss-up" depending on context whether that creative route is solid or undesirable.

Put JC Kester IV in that tournament and you'll see OH throws for most shots that would blow your mind. He got an albatross at the gentlemens club one year with 404' thumber

Shame he executed such an awesome shot and then didn't make the putt.
Check out his UDisc stats. Looks like he executed the shot to or through the green all three rounds. OB and made the putt from 27 round 1, in bound and missed the putt from inside 30 (looks like) round 2. OB and missed the putt from C1 round 3. Scoring: 3, 3, 4

Thats a **** fine set of outcomes on that hole even without the eagle round 2!