• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] why throw dx plastic?

mattpusa

Par Member
I was wondering why a bunch of people throw dx plastic including some pro's? I know if flies right out the gate like the flight chart shows it will,But it gets so damn beat up so quick. SO i want to pick peoples brains on this!

I was wondering why a bunch of people throw dx plastic including some pro's? I know if flies right out the gate like the flight chart shows it will,But it gets so damn beat up so quick. SO i want to pick peoples brains on this!

Because they hit the sweet spot faster and fly longer than most premium plastics. I could be wrong though.

if mids and putters are beating in too fast you need to work on aiming.

Can't beat the grip of DX in the rain and snow.

many 'classic' molds were designed in dx plastic. you cannot replicate the flight of dx with a beat premium plastic disc. most people aren't throwing dx in molds that they want to stay 'new' anyway. and dx has more glide than anything else, for sure. you just have to try it for yourself.

edit: plus what kenjiac and oddjob said.

Slower drivers on down to putters don't break in as fast as people say. The last DX TeeBird I had tacoed the first time I hit a tree (15' off the pin, full power). I flattened it back out, and it was money until I lost it to 2s pond at Idlewild. The second it hit the water, I wished I'd thrown my KC Pro instead.

Because the grip is better than on any premium plastic. Because they glide better than the same mold in premium plastic. Because they wear in to different kind of flights, some of which no premium plastic disc can produce. Because they're cheaper to buy a stack of similar discs. And because they usually still last long enough, especially in certain molds.

Because the Leopard, Stingray, Wraith, etc... stamp looks cooler on DX than in pro/champ plastic and therefore makes the thrower look cooler.

So quick to break in to the sweet spot. Mids in dx just glide for days.

And cheap to try out a different mold.

Besides, have you ever seen a DX Destroyer? So cool.

All kinds of reasons to throw DX.

They break in faster (though that's a double edged sword). More glide than champ, and perhaps star (can't say that's the case compered to Pro). Some people just love certain molds in DX: I like DX Leopards, others swear by DX Tee Birds. Plus, flight characteristics seem to vary more depending on the plastic for some molds than others - dunno why. Some molds are also available in lighter weights in DX than they are in more premium plastics.

Some use them for as a "don't really care if I lose it" disc for risky shots.
Not to mention, they're (about) half the price of Star plastic.
You may love Rocs, and not feel like paying super premium prices for hard to find premium plastics.

Almost as many reasons and people who throw...

Last edited:
Several reasons.

First off its cheapest.

Then it gets beat in to the way you like it quicker. Modern man just has to have instant gratification.

Some disc only come in DX. And very popular discs at that.

Widely available.

And many folks just like the feel. If it feels good, throw it!

I think the main reason for DX's popularity is the way putters and mid-range discs season. I wouldn't trade my DX putters or mids for ones in premium. In fact, I wish discs like the Mako was available in DX.

Latest posts