• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] why throw dx plastic?

If you took a brand new, never thrown DX Teebird, would it fly differently than an identical Champ one (same weight, dome, PLH...etc)? DX seems to be very stable out of the box, but scuffs, changes shape, and beats in almost from the first throw.

I'm wondering if it really is the plastic, or the fact that DX changes so rapidly that we see the better glide.

Because the grip is better than on any premium plastic. Because they glide better than the same mold in premium plastic. Because they wear in to different kind of flights, some of which no premium plastic disc can produce. Because they're cheaper to buy a stack of similar discs. And because they usually still last long enough, especially in certain molds.

^All this, plus the fact that the same disc (high speed drivers specifically) get more distance in DX. I know this sounds silly but it has definitely held true for me

aj

If you took a brand new, never thrown DX Teebird, would it fly differently than an identical Champ one (same weight, dome, PLH...etc)? DX seems to be very stable out of the box, but scuffs, changes shape, and beats in almost from the first throw.

I'm wondering if it really is the plastic, or the fact that DX changes so rapidly that we see the better glide.

Good point....DX can scuff up just sitting on the shelf or on a rack at the store. Person picks up a disc, then wedges it back in the metal shelf. Maybe the 10th person actually buys the disc. Some of them are probably partially broken in when you buy them. Where as the Champ Disc just stays pristine looking.

thanks for all the replys! i own no dx plastic anymore except for my aviar! which i barely throw. I want to start a show your dx plastic thread!

I've made it happen.

Why? If you can throw a large percentage of your shots with the same disc in different stages of wear it makes it a lot easier to get a consistent grip and release, and if you lose one it's easier to cover those shots with the ones on either side of it in the lineup. I carry 4 wizards and 4 rocs.

i guess 4 chains magnets would be considered dx type plastic

everything else is pro, kc pro, z, etc etc

yup...dx, pro d, etc. any type of base plastic. i also consider innova pro and kc pro (newer runs), along with discraft elite x and plastics of that type to fly and break in similarly.

this is the reason the best dx disc the wolf is not in any other plastic. get 5 you will see

And neither of those are in the bag, 5 rancho and an ontario.

The roc3 wasnt straight enough to make the bag and I never really got into the classic roc

Yup agreed, except for me when they get to the end of the cycle they just break. It brings a tear to my eye every time