• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will we ever see another McBeth or Pierce?

DiscFifty

Banned
Will we ever see another McBeth or Pierce....in regards to skill separation / domination at the top?

I think we're at an interesting point in disc golf, where it's possible we could see a plethora of players with the skill set of McBeth & Pierce rising up through the ranks.

We've had a flood of kids starting very early on who are now in their late teens or so, probably having to decide between college or playing in the pro tour. It's going to be even more competitive as the sport attracts a more diverse talent pool as the money grows. We all realize the young guns are learning how to throw 400ft+ before they learn how to make a 30ft putt. I literally saw a young woman throwing 300+ the other day, her father said she just likes throwing and has no intention of competing.

Just seems like the sport has the possibility of a talent convergence of sorts, resulting in more players with a similar skill set. "Down to the wire" may be common place on the pro tour. Great for the sport, but we may be witnessing the end of an era for the sport where a single player has the obvious skill set to dominate.

Looking at the current (and up and coming) players can anyone think of a single player (mpo/fpo) that has a realistic chance at being a 5X+ World Champion? :popcorn:

Since the field is smaller there's clearly a much longer window of opportunity in FPO. I still think there is ample opportunity there for players who may not have even started playing yet. Not only is the player field still developing, the courses they are set is continuing to develop, offering challenges that fit better with the FPO game.

I get the impression that serious off-season training, sport-specific workouts and good quality intentional practice is still an area of development across the sport and until the sport settles on a few 'best in class' approaches to that part of the game I think there is potential for improved skill and dominance even in MPO. I suspect some of these regimes are out there already, but are they embedded, conformed to and widely used?

I think Kyle Klein looks impressive and I'm intrigued to see what Ezra Aderhold's approach to body shape and athleticism will do for results for both him and those who may follow.

I also think there's a lot of space for players with a next-level mental game (the kind that McBeth has/had). If you can still get podium positions with an average to poor mental game (which I'd posit is currently the case) a player that combines good practice, great skill and a McBeth mental game could still come along and dominate.

I think Hailey King has a chance at being a multi x champion. She's got all the skills to do it, just a matter of time.

It makes me think this is an interesting question: Is Paige Pierce more like the Ken Climo or the Paul McBeth of FPO?
I think Climo, who won 49% of events entered. Paige has won 47%.
McBeth is sitting on 38%, but is facing much stiffer competition...

There will be, we just won't know until it's already happened.

I feel like Hayley, Evolina, Kyle Klein have a chance to be that dominant but who knows?

On the upside, that will only mean greater disc golf in the future to watch.

It seems to me that it's possible to perform at the top level of FPO using only your dominant form. You rarely see PP throw a Forehand even if the hole sets up better or calls for it. On the other hand, it seems like most of the top MPO players will throw at least a couple teeshots per round with their non dominant style. It seems like Hailey King is pretty solid with both BH/FH, perhaps we'll start seeing that shift to needing both shots to compete on the podium?

I thought it was interesting, Eagle mentioned in a vlogmas that after seeing all the lefty challenge videos and how far some MPO players throw left handed that he expected to eventually see ambidextrous backhand tee shots due to the greater distance potential over FH. I'm not sure that applies to him given how elite his distance is both backhand and forehand. It seems like he has the distance combined with the putting accuracy to rack up championships, but perhaps the mental game won't allow that?

I think Paige still have some time to go before she's as dominant as Juliana was, just look at her stats..will anyone ever beat JK stats and Winn rate?

But more Money meant more professional players so I think it's going to be harder and harder to be as dominant as players been in the past

Looking at the current (and up and coming) players can anyone think of a single player (mpo/fpo) that has a realistic chance at being a 5X+ World Champion? :popcorn:

This was discussed at length in the "Leverage" thread before Brodie blasted onto the scene.

I honestly don't think the next McBeth or Pierce has to come from the current up and coming crowd. In fact I'd be surprised if it does, or it would have happened already. I believe the next "Big Name" will be someone who's not currently competing.

Zach Arlinghause (spl chk) is a local teen that has made big moves on the tour. He's the closest we have in this area to the next McBeth.

I think Paige still have some time to go before she's as dominant as Juliana was, just look at her stats..will anyone ever beat JK stats and Winn rate?
Nope, JK won an astounding 71% of events entered, but is a win really a win, if you are the only person entered ?

Paul McBeth is like disc golf's Ben Hogan.

One day disc golf will have its equivalent to Jack Nicklaus.
And if it keeps advancing... eventually its equivalent to Tiger Woods.

Personally I follow mostly FPO and as most of my friends know I'm a huge Paige Pierce fan. There are several other players now who have the potential, but will they do it? Paige has put in 15 plus years of incredible commitment to the sport. She works hard, stays in fantastic shape, interacts with her fans like no other, and her life still appears to be fun for her. So yes, there will be others, we may just have to wait for a while to see it. The great thing is that with today's increased coverage of the sport, we get to see a lot more of it happen!:thmbup:

I think another factor to consider is longevity. If the infrastructure, health, knowledge, and money continue to grow, I think players will have more years (on both ends, start younger, finish older) to get those titles.

Latest posts