Kearney, NE

1 2 3 Next >
 Step Up and be Counted.

1    9/30/2008   10/1/2008
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This course has a rockin' layout. There are some great technical shots, the elevation changes are fantastic, and risk/reward factor showed up on many holes. They have course map/scorecards at the message board and you will need the map! I loved how some holes would allow you 2 different ways of getting to the hole. The water does come into play often as part of the course works around the lake. Holes 3 and 9 are fun over the lake shots, but do have alternate tee pads available for the less enthusiastic. ;) There were the occasional non-players walking around, but it isn't enough to say there are safety issues. The tee signs and the long concrete tee pads were great.
Cons: The message board does have a spot to tell you which pins are in position B, but it was not updated! :( I did not see any restrooms and very few trashcans. Navigation is actually tough even with the map. It would be great if you could play with a local your first time out.

This part of the negatives I am sure is seasonal or bad timing on my part, but....
There were literally billions of mosquitoes. I mean I was walking through clouds of them the entire 18 holes and I used three complete layers of bug spray. That did almost no good at all. There was also tons of grasshoppers every where I stepped (not much of a problem, just annoying.) And the last bug complaint was that there were 4 tee pads with huge webs hanging right over them and they had spiders with the body size of quarters in them. I kind of made a half tee shot on those holes. ;)
Other Thoughts: Although my experience was not that good due to the bug issues, I would still say this course has a pretty good fun factor. Some of the blind cliff shots on the first nine were a real treat. I had actually planned to play this course twice, but I couldn't take the mosquitoes any more. I do think this a real challenge for all levels of the game. The front nine was much tougher than the back nine, as info.

2-4    7/17/2008   7/17/2008
Review By: High Flyer
This review was updated on 8/18/2008
Pros: Boost the rating to 4 stars if you're up for a challenge, there's no shortage here. The fairways on this course favor a well planned, well excecuted throw.

The maps, both online and in the box at the beginning of the course were very helpful.
Cons: Can be frustrating. Some holes had me thinking "you've got to be kidding me." I found myself being very conservative to keep things inbounds.
Other Thoughts: All in all, I think this course made me a better player where it challenged me to keep tight control on my throws.

worth the stop

1    3/18/2007   3/10/2008
Review By: DGtourist
This review was updated on 3/23/2009
Pros: The lake that Cottonmill plays through provides a nice forest like setting as well as good elevation changes. Thick trees come into play in interesting and sometimes creative ways. Some of the fairways are cleared out like ball golf fairways. You can tell that the people of Kearney love disc golf by how well cared for this course is. I was even provided with a map fresh from the printers, by some of the local clubbers who were clearing out debris. The beauty of this course, its flow and its shot variety make this one of my top five courses out of the about 50 I have played. If ever driving through Nebraska its worth the stop.
Cons: I got turned around looking for the back nine, due to an alternate pin location. However it was damn hard to think of a negative for this course. I cannot wait to come back someday.
Other Thoughts: Keep raising the bar Kearney! This was one of the first courses that I played as a DGtourist. At the time I thought it was an amazing course, I have since lowered my grade. It is still a very impressive course, maybe the best in central Nebraska, and I plan to stop by here next time I am in the area.

1 2 3 Next >