Salisbury, NC
Kelsey Scott Park Share
Uploaded By: jedwards Hole #2 (Taken 5/2009)
3 / 395ft.   3 / 135ft.   3 / 232ft.   3 / 260ft. Par / Distance:

1    10/6/2017   10/7/2017
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Kelsey Scott is an OK 9-hole course in Salisbury. I'll write this review as a comparison to Catawba College, which is only a mile away, so you can decide if either or both courses appeal to you.

+ Compared to Catawba College, Kelsey Scott is much longer, with the opportunity to throw more than just putters. The layout is nice, with good variety of the types of shots needed.

+ Alt tees, giving you the opportunity to play the 9 holes in at least 3 different ways.

+ While navigation is tricky at Catawba College, you'll have no problems here.

+ Like Catawba College, this is park style golf. Unlike Catawba, this park was actually designed with disc golf in mind. You do not have to worry about pedestrians or cars parked near baskets.
Cons: I listed the areas where Kelsey Scott is superior to Catawba College, there are some areas where Kelsey Scott falls short.

- Aesthetically, this isn't a great one. The grass was tall when I played. There was dog crap all over the 1st fairway. There was trash too. When I played, it was rough.

- Speaking of rough, Kelsey Scott has it. Lots of briars and heavy underbrush. There are a few ditches and a creek too. I didn't lose any discs, but there is disc loss risk here.

- The baskets are old, single-chained, and have seen better days.

- As 9-hole courses generally go, this one has decently challenging holes. However, compared to a good 3.0-level 18-hole course, Kelsey Scott is a little lacking on the challenge and fun factors.
Other Thoughts: If you're in Salisbury, you might as well bag both of the 9-holers in town. They're not destination courses by any stretch, but if you're reading this, you likely consider disc golf to be preferable to most other recreation or exercise options.

Yo Dawg....

1    6/3/2012   6/4/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - The highlight of this nine holer is that it gives you three different tee positions which are very different shots throughout the course. The alternate tees add difficulty and some character to what would be very short and very open shots from the main tees.

I actually think the alternate longer tees are meant in a way to be an optional back 9 but just play those.

You will need to be able to work the disc a bit to get close but even the harder tees aren't really hard. I'd say this course is an excellent place to learn the game or just get some practice in on driving your putters/mids and putting.

There isn't much in the park to work with and the designer squeezed shots out of every situation possible. There's more than a couple tee positions that looked great and required me to work my putter.

The flow of the course works well, it didn't feel awkward at any point.

There's a couple longer shots thrown in from the alternate tees that gives you chance to let a disc fly more than most 9'ers I've played.

Equipment - The tee signs are very visible so it's easy to find the tees even without a map. The baskets are old but I found no problem with them, they caught all of my putts.
Cons: Layout - The main tees are nothing but open short shots. I'd say about half of the alternate tees don't make it much better. The course is in a way kind of strewn a long the edge of the park because that's where the trees are. It works but makes everything kind of crammed in.

Only a couple of the greens and basket positions had anything near them to create challenge.

Most of the course is flat and the one area where there is elevation isn't much.

Not much difficulty here for more experienced players, it's really just a practice course or a place for new players to learn.

Equipment - No pads although I don't see a point in installing any.

Atmosphere - Yeah.. it's in the ghetto. There are ghetto happenings going on here. I kept an eye on my car the entire time. It's probably a good place to learn disc golf but a bad place to be associated with disc golf.

The park itself is an older park and not much for looks. You're playing along the edge around the basketball court and parking lot.
Other Thoughts: I don't live there so I wouldn't play here again even though the layout itself was done well with what there is to work with.

If I did live there I could see myself going out there for some putter rounds... or to build my ace count.

There was couple of memorable holes. I think #3 or 12a/12b.. whichever one is an anny shot over the leaning tree. Then the big downhill optional shots on #9 were really fun.

2-4    3/5/2010   3/7/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 1/7/2017
Pros: Easy to navigate 9 hole course with good flow of holes. Use the map and you'll find the tees no problem.
- Each hole has 3 tee locations, with #1 & 9 having additional tee locations. The short tees are clearly aimed for the most elementary of players.
- I also liked how the creek only comes into play for the advanced (yellow) tees on holes #3 & 4. Water shouldn't even be a factor for the easier tees unless you do something freakishly bad.
- The map may be the most detailed/accurate one I've ever used. (Look at the course map file for a reference.) I was trying to find the yellow tee for #6 and the map shows it's next to the last tree closest to the path. I walk to said tree and, low and behold, there are the markers for the yellow tee. Same goes for the B tee for #1. The tee is located right between a tree and a bench, as shown on the map. If only they'd spent as much time making a good course as they did making a detailed map, this would be a good course.
- You only need short to mid-range discs for most of the course. Only one hole is more than 300 feet - #9 from two of the advanced (yellow) tees.
- The course only had one hole (#2) where each the three tees presented the same shot at varying lengths, two, if you count the B location for the yellow tee on #9. The other holes presented different shots and angles from each tee location. I also liked how the advanced tee wasn't always the longest shot, while still being the most difficult. On #7, the yellow tee is actually the shortest shot, but it's most difficult as you're throwing through the woods, versus the open and easier tee shots from the other locations.
Cons: The course lacks some basic amenities - no water fountains/drink machines and no toilets - port-a-jons only. With only 9 holes, you shouldn't be at the course for that long that this will be an issue. A shopping center is only about 2 minutes away.
- As mentioned earlier, there's lots of graffiti along the walking path by hole #5. The walking path continues on the other side of the train tracks, but I didn't, and don't have any desire to see what's over there.
- The course has a clear feel it was built by non-disc golfers. Some tee/basket locations seemed un-natural, where I feel the "designers" found some trees and decided to place the tee or basket right there for a challenge. Specifically, the yellow tee on #3 and #9C tee shots come to mind. There aren't many other obstacles, such as elevation, so I guess they were trying to get creative.
Other Thoughts: This course isn't meant to be great, but it's not that bad either. It seemed like every other basic 9-hole course you'd find anywhere.
- My favorite hole is #4 from the yellow (advanced tee). It's a 265-foot shot that requires you to maneuver you're shot through some trees to the basket. That'd make a nice hole on any course.
- I didn't get a sense of the course being sketch. It didn't seem to be any less safe than Kilborne or Sugaw Creek in Charlotte, plus the road has plenty of traffic on it, so I never felt any trouble.
- You can easily play this course twice in under an hour. It's not worth driving out of the way to play, but if you're on I-85, it's less than 10 minutes off the exit.

Short

2-4    1/15/2009   1/15/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
This review was updated on 3/1/2010
Pros: Multiple Tees gives this nine hole course a variety of shots. Good use of OB and elevation. Porta-Johns and a Bulletin board that provided scorecards for the course.
Cons: The course can be tricky to navigate the first time. All the holes are fairly open, not a very technical course.
Other Thoughts: Although a short course it was enjoyable to play. If your from the area I would suggest stopping by to play it if you haven't. Probably not a course your going to want to drive very far to play however.

Good course, bad area

2-4    1/14/2009   1/14/2009
Review By: YonderScott
Pros: This is a good course for novice players, though the gold tees do add a challenge for players with experience. The park has a playground, some benches, porta johns at hole 1. It loops back to the parking lot. When all the tees are combined it offers you the chance to play 27 different holes. The golds have multiple options on 1 and 9. Easy to navigate. If you download the map, the tees, even the gold ones, are easy to find. The tee signs are on the whites, but if you read the map blue and gold are easy to find.
Cons: This course isn't in the best part of town. I had one guy step off the road and walk toward me. He only turned away when I grabbed my bag by the strap like I was ready to whack him with it. One car pulled in and parked next to my car, the only one in the lot, with 3 guys in it...they just sat there and watched me, they eventually drove away. As I was on 9 a guy walked down the greenway and just stopped short of me and stood there and watched me. When you are between 4 and 5 you can see gang symbols painted on the underpass. I add this so people know, I will not play here again unless I have someone with me.
Other Thoughts: I would love to play this course again, with friends or local players. The kiosk had info on a local club, I hope there is enough interest there to get players in the park often enough to steer the people who shouldn't be there away. Minus the bad elements, this cousre can go a long way in teaching new players the shots required to play the game without having to worry about having a big arm.

Good place to start

5+    10/31/2008   10/31/2008
Review By: PanicKJ
This review was updated on 8/13/2010
Pros: There are 9 holes and 4 sets of tees for each hole. White tees are very easy and are marked by a blue pole. The blue tees are a little tougher but all but 1 of the holes is still in the open. The first set of golds is a mix of turnover shots out of the woods and long distance drives. Just recently they installed another set of gold tees, Not sure if the color will change or not.
Cons: If you don't know where the tees are you will never find them. The new set of gold tees feels like a long drive contest. The course doesn't really make you work on accuracy as pretty much every hole is wide open.
Other Thoughts: They did the best that they could with the resources that they had. If this course was not there I would have never played disc golf so I am really glad that they built it however it is probably not worth the drive if you are not local. If you are local then you can definately have a good time playing, if you go on the weekend hopefully you will find another disc golfer there who can show you the tees. Don't forget though Fox Chase is about a half hour down the road too!

I went back and played a round at this park tuesday. This park has a lot of value for disc golfers in this area. I play a lot of wooded courses where you make your decisions based on how you are going to hit your line. Kelsey Scott gives you the chance to pick your shots based on distance. The few trees that they do have will force you to throw a line drive shot to avoid the foilage. I played with a friend playing the yellow and gold tees and had a good time. It is nice to be able to get in a quick round everyonce in a while. Not every course that you play has to be as sadistic as Nevin or Renny!