Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Lakeside Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #15 (Taken 9/2011)
Hole #15 Red Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yeah, It's all that!

2-4    6/27/2017   7/4/2017
Review By: eegor
Pros: From the wonderful property to the country club style setting, there is nothing I've experienced in Disc Golf that compares to Selah Ranch. The best of their courses is Lakeside. All of the holes require a thoughtful drive that will hopefully result in a successful approach to the basket. Hole 7 is just magnificent.

John Houck designed courses in a well maintained ranch with thoughtful owners. John took the best land and created a truly great disc golf course that can be played using a golf car (needed) where every hole is a challenge. This isn't a course for any "one trick pony" kind of player. You'll need a complete game to score well and have a great time here. All the holes are fair, but each one has challenges for you. We played from the short (red) tees. It was fun for our group of grandmasters and we all shot from under to a little over over par.

This isn't a "get there and throw" course. It requires thought and planning. Thanks John!
Cons: $20 to play and $20 for half a cart is pricey for disc golf. This isn't your every day course to play. It is a destination course that will probably cost you the $40 (plus tax) along with gasoline, lodging and meals on the road to play.

It's worth it.
Other Thoughts: I played this course a few years ago during the fall. Cookie was with us then. We stayed at the Corral House (great by the way) and it simply couldn't have been better. Good guys and disc golf...

This time we played the Trey Texas courses on Monday and played Selah on Tuesday... staying in a motel in Mt. Pleasant. Not as great (lodging), but we played two other awesome John Houck courses (met Mom) and enjoyed the peaceful East Texas life.

This is a trip worth taking. Play the four courses and if you can afford it, stay at Selah Ranch for the best in hospitality. If you want to save a few bucks... call Mom at Trey Texas Ranch. She'll set you up.

It's worth the top rating.

1    5/20/2017   5/23/2017
Review By: The Katana Kid
This review was updated on 5/25/2017
Pros: Number 7 is the signature hole. Both short and long tees are next to the Lake, throwing over water at a basket on an island. The short tee is designed to challenge an amateur, which I am on my best day, and the long tee will challenge any pro since it goes over nearly twice the water. I lost my first disc of the day here.

SPACE! This place spreads out over a large area. When I started out with the scorecard I was shocked by how many par 4s (7) and 5s (4) there are. But this turns out to be one of the greatest parts of the course! Before I started I had never heard of the designer, John Houck, which exposes my lack of knowledge in this sport, but I soon realized this guy is a disc golf course design genius, or artist, or both. This course uses the space and landscape in an incredible way that you are constantly challenged. I played Hart Park (Shark Tooth Mtn and Suicide Flats) in Bakersfield. CA, which have a lot of space but it just wears you out, without the challenging experience. In other words, space alone is not enough. The only other course I've given 5 discs (oddly enough I also gave Selah 5 of my discs on the 3 most challenging water holes) was Milo McGiver near Portland, OR, since it's the only other course I've felt used a vast amount of space so I never felt crowded. I really liked DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz and Golden Gate park in San Francisco, but I always felt crowded there. So as I was grasping for the right word to describe why I liked this place I came up with SPACE and it's ingenious use by an artist who used this remote ranch with a lake as his canvas.

In addition to number 7 there are several baskets that are near the lakeside (1, 2, 3, and 18). These baskets all require careful throws or your plastic is in the lake. Many baskets are at the end of tunnels (5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14). Number 15 is a good dog leg. All these force you to keep some accurate lines.

A golf cart! What a benefit! Unless you are young and with unlimited energy, like I'm not, I can't stress enough to take advantage of this option. It's $40 for the day, unless you spend the night, which I did not, but I was told you get a free cart with the $700 package which is for 2 nights in a 3-bedroom house with a full kitchen and a reduced course fee from $20 to $15.

Maybe it's a con that it's not free to play, but it may contribute to the fact that you don't see a flood of people on the course. Most good courses I've played have people I'm waiting for or who are waiting for me. The day I was there the weather forecast called for rain but it did not and the beautiful day did not see many disc golfers. Whether it's the remote location, the cost, or the bad weather forecast, I don't know, but it made for a special day for me.

One of the design aspects I REALLY like is that every hole is carefully thought out for par. Most courses are ALL par three. That's a cop out in my view from a design perspective. La Mirada, CA for example has 2 courses that I've played more than a few times. All 36 holes are par 3, but there's no way that's equitable. I have mentioned this inequity to other disc golfers I respect who are way more serious than myself and really good at the sport, and their response is, "it doesn't matter since you're really playing against other people and it only matters in the rare case when you're playing against the course, like if you're alone." Well, maybe this is a philosophical comment but why can't it be both LIKE SEALAH IS?! Maybe this small point was so appreciated by me since I got five birdies (1, 2, 10, 15, and 16) and ended 2 under from the short tees. And I'm convinced better players would be legitimately challenged from the long tees to do the same.

I strongly favor a RHFH and drive exclusively forehand if possible. On some of these holes I found myself throwing backhand, especially 17, which was not a complete disaster since I parred or birdied most of them. My point here is that the design of this course forces you to use certain shots and it's very difficult to successfully force a forehand where a backhand belongs.

It's nice that the 18th tee takes you back to where you started. Sometimes I take such a small part of the design for granted until I'm reminded by a course like Griffin in Oklahoma City that finished at least a 5-minute walk away from the first tee.

Number 4 is a difficult shot over water. My disc cleared fine and I parred it, but I found a guy's disc in the water and could reach it without entering the water. When I texted the guy, who lost the disc, he was still on the course so I left it for him with Dave, the nice guy who runs the place. There's signs prohibiting disc diving and before you play you're required to sign an agreement that you won't swim or go in the water for discs.
Cons: There are NO multiple positions for the baskets. This surprised me since I've come to expect this on all of the top tier courses. But after thinking about it I'm not sure this is a CON at all. For example, I played a really nice course in Menifee, CA that is actively maintained by a local club called the Rattlers. I liked that course so much that I took a friend back about a week later. On one of the holes in the gulch, I think it was 10, there is no way to see where the basket is. I told my buddy that it was nestled way off to the left among some trees. He made a great shot to where I told him, but when we got there the basket had been moved and it took us awhile to find it way off to the right halfway up the hill leading out of the gulch. Most good courses with multiple pin positions explain that clearly at the tee with proper signage (The Rattlers need to work on that) but why do this at all? Apparently, John Houck did not think it was necessary. There may be some course design philosophy behind this decision, but I personally prefer it. I played another course by Houck, Harry Myers, and it's also a great course WITHOUT MULTIPLE PIN POSITIONS.

The only legitimate CON I have for this course is that the next tee marker is not on the basket but on the prior tee's signage. I understand this is commonly done, but I don't care what Houck's philosophy is for this decision IT IS A MISTAKE. Why can't there be an arrow in the basket, like at Huntington Beach, CA and so many other quality courses. My goodness, are you really expecting me to remember every single time I move to a new basket where the next tee is. Most of the times it's intuitive, but when you are winding through the woods it's not clear, or at least it wasn't to me, and more than once I regretted not remembering where the tee signage said the next tee would be. By the way, the tee signage does give 2 arrows for the next tee, a red one for the short tee and a blue arrow for the long tee.
Other Thoughts: When Dave handed me the scorecard he said Lakeside is the number 1 disc golf course in the world, as selected by the players. And sure enough it is at the top now with a 4.91 disc rating. I was told by those I respect that Selah's Creekside is better, even though it only has a current rank of 4.77, which is still in the top ten. Even though Lakeside is not the perfect course due to no next tee arrows in the baskets, there's no way I can give it a 4.5, especially due to the awesome spaciousness and design utilization, as described earlier.

If I go back I would try to stay overnight AND visit another two Houck courses, Trey Texas Ranch only 20 miles south of here, which are rated 4.5 and 4.55 on this site. These two ranches are both so remote yet relatively close together so that it would seem worthwhile to tie them together into a greater disc golf experience. The $20 fee per person at Selah is unlimited use for a day and that includes Lakeside and Creekside.

For a less expensive lodging experience at Selah there are cabins and camping available on the ranch. When I was there a group had tents set up in a camp to the left of the 4th fairway. At first this bothered me because it would ruin my day if I nailed someone with my long-distance driver. But as I worked my way around them on 4, and later on my way back at 14, I was impressed that they could actually be having a campout and I never felt they were at risk. This was either a good design or a lucky coincidence.

All said, Selah deserves 5 discs. My only other score of 5 discs was for Riverbend at Milo McGiver State Park in Oregon, but I didn't spend near the amount of words to explain why, as I've done here. As a result, most of those who read that review found it not helpful. If you've read this far and don't find this helpful then I still haven't figured out how to review a course.

Beautiful, Challenging Course

1    4/27/2017   4/27/2017
Review By: yankeefanjln
Pros: Good variety of shots. Good variety of hole length and difficulty. Good flow. Good signage.
Friendly, helpful attendant at the pro shop. There's a pro shop.
Cons: My brother can tell how how this course might make you split your pants.
Other Thoughts: The island green on 7 was worth the whole round and the disc I lost trying to reach it. Whoever finds my unmarked, pink tie-dye champion Wraith, enjoy it.

1    3/21/2017   3/29/2017
Review By: david W
Pros: This is a really solid course. Most holes are good or great. There is good use of water shots and the course does a good job of making you throw a lot of different distances and angles. Several holes have great scoring separation and utilize risk reward which I applaud.

The course is long and walkable regardless of what the staff at the Ranch tell you. I walked both courses back to back and was tired but certainly not exhausted.

Tee pads and signs are very nice and the course was very clean. No graffiti or trash which is always nice.

My favorite thing about this course was the back and forth between wooded and open holes and the demand for throwing every shot in you repertoire.

The property is beautiful and is really something special that our sport could use more of.
Cons: As long as this course is, it desperately needs distance markers on some of the longer holes (the island par 5 and the long downhill par 5 on the back 9 stand out in particular).

For what it costs to play I would like to have seen some cool features that distance this course from the rest (rock green, elevated green, etc.). This is a really good course but it is missing that special touch that would make it great.
Other Thoughts: I had a really good time playing this course. Im not a huge fan of hole 2's landing zone on the drive but for the most part this course is really good. I would like to see that extra 5% of work to make this course better but the way it sits is still pretty good. I don't think this is the best course in the country (it doesn't make my top 5). That being said I still think it ranks high and is a must play if you are in the area.

Bucket List Course!!

1    1/6/2017   2/13/2017
Review By: FlyFish84
Pros: Facility, Owners, Carts.. There is a lot to love here! Amateur tees are great for players that don't have the power of better players.
Hole 7 with the island green is a great hole!
Hole 18 is also a great finishing hole!
Cons: Hole 14 is a tough hole if you aren't really good with hitting your line off the tee.. Get a throw that's of line a bit and there isn't a line to the basket at all..
Other Thoughts: This is a must play course!! Yes you have to pay! Yes it is worth every penny! Yes it's fun to rent the carts and ride around for a change!! I don't really know what could be better here.. I had only played 5-6 rounds of golf before coming here. I live about 2 hrs away and wanted to come play the #1 course on DGCR! So from a new player viewpoint.. I would say this course was fair from the red tee for beginners if you didn't just bomb it out in the trees.. Easier said than done I know! if you get a good throw and hit your line you had chance at birdie or par.. Get here first thing in the morning and play as many rounds as possible!! You wont regret it at all!!!

An Experience

1    6/25/2016   6/28/2016
Review By: cheese dog
Pros: Everything is a pro on this course, the throws, the property, the owners. This is easily the best course i have ever played for a myriad of reasons. The layout is amazing, the carts are top notch, very well maintained property. A round at either one of these great courses is truly an amazing experience. The owners of this ranch are some of the nicest people i have met. They accommodated our group and made us feel at home.
Cons: a little more signage for navigation would help. This is a giant property and it is very easy to get lost when you have been hitting the sauce all day. Losing disc to the water will happen, so bring extras.
Other Thoughts: This is a pay to play course, split up it cost our group 42 bucks each, that is a bargain. I am very glad to say i have played these courses, Lakeside is the Augusta of disc golf. Every time I spoke with the owners they were very welcoming and professional. Don't try to rush when you come here, it will take a 4 man group 3-4 hours to play a round. So Enjoy the experience.

1    3/17/2016   6/26/2016
Review By: discingcaddie
Pros: Best course I've ever seen. The design is exceptional. Very challenging yet fair and playable. The availability of carts does help with the length of time required to play the course.
Cons: The proshop was very disappointing. I was on vacation and would have loved to bought some merchandise commemorating the journey. However all I could find to purchase was a mini. There were only 10 or 12 discs to choose from and they were all Prodigy.
Other Thoughts: There are a lot of water hazards. Bring back ups

Bucket list ticked off!

5+    4/20/2014   4/20/2016
Review By: Discgolffiend
Pros: Reviewing a couple of years after the fact as I've finally decided to start getting some down on paper - some memories are a bit hazy (including the date played)

Selah was a bucket list course, I have played a few other Houck designs but this was the one I wanted to play more than ever, especially hole 7, pictures of which had me salivating.

I spent a few days on this incredible ranch with some friends staying on site and had an fantastic time playing Lakeside and Creekside all day long. I've only reviewed Lakeside as Creek is a bit hazy in the memory! (some beer may have been consumed)

There is a lovely mix of holes at Lakeside, no two are the same. I'm a fan of par 4 golf (when done well) and the par 4's and even 5's (always a little dubious about disc golf par 5's but these nail it) are excellent, incredibly well crafted, you can tell how much thought went into each hole and placement.

Hole 7 lived up to all my expectations, we played reds and blues and this hole was just perfectly placed for both. First round on the blue it tempted and teased me into going for the three and promptly swallowed my disc! Further rounds I was more circumspect playing safer routes for the 4's and 5's but even playing safely each shot you take is a challenge.

I liked the much maligned hole 14, great tee shot options and by the end of the time there I was starting to work out which were giving me consistently better looks. (we threw a lot of discs)

Terrain away from the lakes isn't the greatest but the Holes are designed beautifully to make full use of what is there.

I found myself using just about every shot in the bag and enjoyed throwing the lines so much, I would throw another and another (I came back with a few less discs than I started, although did restock in the pro shop)

Lived up to just about all my expectations.

I'm putting price in to play as a pro here, I would have paid more. Happy to pay for this level of facility and still doesn't compare to what I used to pay for ball golf.
Cons: You had to use the carts. Don't get me wrong, I like the chance to use carts but having to use them I'm not so keen on . They're not cheap and once the novelty has worn off I don't really enjoy playing from a cart. I love walking and disc golf is a walk enhanced, but the course is stretched out and if you want a few rounds a day in you will need them.

No toilets or anything out on the course - a couple of benches would be nice -and trash cans

Couple of holes were just a bit unmemorable, good holes and technically well designed, just hard to look back and be wowed by them. I've had to look back at pictures to jog the memory.

Navigation wasn't always the greatest although I hope that has been improved in the meantime, it was certainly talked about.
Other Thoughts: Delighted I got to play and had an amazing time.

Everything is screaming at me to give it five stars but the description of five stars is " There is absolutely nothing that could be done to improve the course. It is perfect in every possible way." and it's not quite. but only just not. I want to rate it at 4.9 as 4.5 seems harsh to what it was, the best fun with buddies of my disc golf career.

Play it!

From the Rec Player Perspective

1    2/6/2016   2/17/2016
Review By: edfaits
This review was updated on 4/20/2016
Pros: My reviews for Creekside and Lakeside will have redundant content, I apologize but I want both reviews to be able to "stand alone". Many have reviewed these courses, the only unique perspective I have is that I'm not a very good disc golfer! I suspect most that make this pilgrimage are dedicated and talented players.

Selah Ranch has been my "Shangri-La" for several years. I'm an "older player" (60+) and never progressed beyond a middle of the pack recreational skill level. However, I am passionate about the sport. My concern was would Selah be a "rec friendly" great experience, or would it be too punishing for this old arm? I'm thrilled to say Selah was everything I had hoped it would be! The ranch is beautiful, the courses are a pure joy to play, and the hospitality of the ranch made for a uniquely wonderful disc golf adventure.

-The gasoline powered carts made it possible to get in a full round on both Creek Side and Lake Side in a single afternoon. I'm usually pretty sore and worn out these days when I play 36 holes in a day, I call those my "4 ADVIL" tournaments. With the carts I had no problem playing 36.
-Holes challenge both throwing skills and decision making. Risk/Reward options available on nearly every hole. Often multiple lines to the hole, overall favors no particular style. I play mostly RHFH, my son is almost exclusively RHBH, I don't think either of us had an advantage.
-Lakeside is a challenge for a Rec level player. Six of the holes play along the lake and are a constant concern for a rec player that occasionally sprays shots. I tended to get in trouble by being too conservative and throwing away from the water and catching trees on the other side of the fairway. Still, every hole a par was possible if I didn't do anything too dumb, make a horrible throw, or clank a short putt. Birdie chances were scarce, but when I made a good and smart throw I did have opportunities. Mess up, and bogey or worse was likely, though a few wayward drives left me with at least a chance to be creative and throw a desperation tomahawk to try a par save.
-Hole seven is as dramatic and photogenic a hole as I've seen in disc golf. The Rec player gets a generous 300' shortcut from the red tee, but it still will require that exciting throw over water to the island green. With some patients and control a rec player can minimize that water crossing to less than a 200' approach, but that takes some good shot making.
-Keep it out of the water and there's not too much chance of losing a disc. Keeping it out of the water may be more easily said than done especially if the wind comes up. Water risk can be mitigated by playing conservative unless you make one of those Risk / Reward "go for it" decisions. Hole #1 is a classic example. I had a "makeable" birdie putt from a bit outside the circle, but an overshoot was going straight in to the lake. My brain said go for it, but my arm must have been risk averse because my putt ended up on line but at least 5 feet short.
-Legitimate Par 4's and Par 5's. With these holes there are even more shot decisions to make, more options unfold as the hole plays out.
-Modern, quality, well maintained Innova Discatcher Pro baskets. Hardly worth mentioning here, it's fair to assume that EVERYTHING at Selah is first class.
-Fair greens, no gimmicky obstructions within the circle. Some placements close enough to water hazards to be a test of nerve but nothing unfair, at least when the wind isn't howling.
-Solid cement tee pads, adequate size though not huge. Clean, and well landscaped so there is no odd drop-offs that would impact run-up or follow-through.
-A decent Pro Shop, showers, and real bathrooms on site. Amenities approaching a quality ball-and-stick golf course.
- I understand that not every disc golfer will be willing/able to spend the money for greens fees, carts, and lodging at Selah Ranch, but for me the costs were very reasonable for experience. To compare this to ball golf, I received "Pebble Beach" quality for less than the cost of greens fees and a cart at my local municipal course.
-A cold winter day at Selah Ranch is warmer than what I'll see in New England until April.
Cons: As I stated, this is my Shangri-La, can there really be any cons? If I really have to come up with something:

- It's a huge East Texas Ranch... the wind can howl, thunderstorms can boil up at a moment's notice, summer heat and humidity can melt your favorite plastic, drenching rains can flood the creeks and gullies...Snakes, Scorpions, and other creepy-crawlies hide in the brush, bulls might charge, lightning, tornadoes, meteors threaten, oil wells could blow out, and there is a scary disclaimer to sign, though on the February day I played I didn't see anything more menacing the buzzard circling as a clanked my birdie putt attempt on #4. I'm not sure Selah is more dangerous than my local New England courses plagued with Lyme disease-carrying deer ticks.
-The Ranch is pretty remote, and though somehow mobile phone service was great everywhere on the course. Options for gasoline, food, beer are limited in Talco, basically just a gas station. Mt. Vernon is a few miles to the south and has much better food options, but don't assume anything will be open after your round.
-Without a cart, it's a long walk just to get to the first tee from the pro shop, though Lakeside starts and finishes fairly close to the Main House. It's quite a hike to play to get around Lakeside, with no place to sit and no drinking water available on the course. Rent the cart, it's well worth it, especially in the warmer months, which I understand can be every month but January and February.
-If you are walking, navigation takes some effort since tees are not always visible from the last basket. With a cart, it's not an issue, you'll find the tee pretty quickly.
Other Thoughts: I dragged my family 400 miles out the way so I could tick this place off my bucket list. I'm grateful they indulged me. I only had a single afternoon before we turned the car northward on our way back to Chicago, then home New England. I had time to play both courses, but not enough time to soak up all that the ranch has to offer. With Trey Ranch "just down the road", I'm sure I could have spent several blissful days here. I hope to return soon for a longer stay.

On the mid-week February day I played the course it was pretty deserted. I realize this place is remote, but I would really love to see more vibrancy to this place. It truly deserves the support of the disc golf community.

So are the Selah Ranch courses the best I've ever played? I live less than an hour from Maple Hill, and I've been lucky enough to play Nantucket, some great courses in Vermont and the coast of Maine, and even got to play the nearly completed Frost Valley course in New York. Is the Beatles 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' a better album than the Stones 'Exile on Main St'? Is Beethoven's Ninth better than Mozart's Jupiter Symphony? That's the great thing, we get to enjoy it all.

Believe the hype!

1    9/23/2015   9/23/2015
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: Part of me feels like this review isn't even necessary. Yea, just another 5/5 review, we get it....but it's the culmination of these 5/5's which helped propel Selah to the front of the pack, so i feel obligated.

I'm gunna take a minute to beat an old cliche to death. You'll use every shot in your bag. Yea yea, I know, but seriously it's true. Not counting my backup discs, I can only think of 2 of my discs that I DIDN'T tee off with. The course is very well-rounded and will require you to be the same.

The thing that sticks out to me about LS is just how demanding it is. Not only are the holes long, but they require placement as well. Every single birdie on LS has to be earned, nothing is a gimmie, not even the par 5's. For example, if my drive on hole 7(island) would've been about 5 feet to the left I could've had a shot at eagle. Instead I was forced to lay up and took a par(5). My advice is to use the cart to scope out the hole really quickly before throwing. This will help you find lines and landing spots very quickly before playing the first time.

To expand on the variety that is required, you still will feel like you have more than one option on almost every hole. Even the short wooded holes have a couple of lines you COULD take if so inclined.

After playing CS first, I was hoping LS would have more wooded shots, and it did. No course can be "perfect" or the #1 in the world without a good mixture of open/wooded. I think Open/Wooded mixture is the most important metric for a course to be "perfect".

There was still plenty of variety in hole length on LS. Some holes were under 300, even from blues, while some pushed close to 1000'. Don't think this is a course where a small arm can't compete. Perfect placement will allow anyone to win out here.

The amenities were more than ample, but not perfect (as you can see in my cons). The tee pads were plenty big enough, two per hole with very nice signs at each tee. There's also a pro shop on site, you'll get scorecards for each course, have a place to buy plastic and also rent a golf cart! The revolution has begun, ladies and gentlemen! These types of amenities is what it will take to push our game to the next level.
Cons: In order to provide some constructive criticism, it's necessary for me to list some cons even though the course has received a perfect score. There are always things to improve on and my cons could provide the owners something to consider for the future.

Firstly, I think the biggest thing lacking on both Selah courses are benches/seating. This isn't necessarily a con if you have a cart like I did, but in a tournament situation where not everyone has a cart, a course this nice absolutely has to have seating for those long rounds. To be the #1 rated course in the world, I think you should have ample seating at every tee pad.

Secondly, there are a few places where there isn't a clear direction to take when you finish a hole. There were seemingly plenty of navigation signs on the longer "walks" but even some of the shorter transitions can be slightly confusing. This occurs mostly in the wooded holes where there are multiple paths you could take. Again, this isn't a huge issue in reality since you'll undoubtedly have a map on the scorecard, but something to consider.

My last two complaints can't really be helped at this point, but if I'm pointing out flaws I might as well go all in:

Thirdly, you have to cross over #1's fairway when you finish hole 17. While this usually won't pose an issue on a private course, during a tournament it could. There was a sign there indicating the crossover so you should really never get hit. I understand why the crossover is necessary to let hole 18 finish by the lake.

Lastly, and probably the most trivial of my complaints, is that the course is not a two 9-hole loop design. Usually this would be a pretty big deal, especially on a course this long, but here it actually should never matter and here's why: 1) The parking lot isn't even at the LS course, so it would defeat the purpose of the two-loop design (to be able to refuel between 9's) even if it existed. 2) You'll likely have a golf cart anyway, which means two things; You probably won't NEED to refuel and even if you did, you could just stock up the cart!

To address the elephant in the room (cost of the cart), I'll just say that you'll want a cart when you play here. If you're going to make a trip out to Selah and play all day, why you'd waste time walking around when you could get more golf in is beyond me. This isn't meant to be your weekly course, but a special occasion, one that deserves to be paid for. You guys are right, $40 for a cart is a little steep, especially if you compare it to ball golf, but this is a private ranch, with two of the best courses in the world and a limited number of carts and you can play ALL DAY. I'm not saying $40 is completely justified, just noting that there are some distinctions between Selah and a typical ball golf outing...
Other Thoughts: Selah Lakeside is undoubtedly the best course I've played so far, and the only course to receive a 5/5 from me (I'm fairly stingy). My worry while driving out to the middle of nowhere was "Just how beautiful could a Texas Ranch really be?" (I'm from those beautiful Appalachian mountains). Let me tell you, LS is absolutely breathtaking. You'll get to hole one, look out over the lake and the Inn and think you're on a very nice ball golf course. Keep in mind, people come here to vacate as well, not to play disc golf. The property was so gorgeous that even my non-dg playing wife would've had no regrets spending a week there.

My host was Dave, who I gather is the host for most golfers. Dave was very hospitable, gave helpful hints and seemed to genuinely enjoy his role. I can't say thank you enough for allowing us golfers to venture into your domain, Dave. You have something truly special!

To avoid saying hole #7 was my favorite hole, as it is truly the signature hole, I'll say hole #4 was my favorite. It was the only "peninsula hopping" hole on either course where you could still open up and crush a shot or two if you wanted to. You still had the water danger, but could pick up a stroke with a large arm, unlike the other similar holes. I shot a 70 (+1) from blues.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6