Lake Stevens, WA
Lake Stevens DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #4 (Taken 5/2010)

Share URL:

NAD's annoying and fun little brother

5+    2/20/2012   2/22/2012
Review By: b-mart
Pros: Lake Stevens is a very well maintained course with plenty of challenge. It's short enough for an amateur or lower to enjoy, yet challenging enough for better players with more range. The baskets can kill a birdie or par chance, adding a whole new twist to the game that I like (overall). It really makes you think about your putts and sometimes you have to insert a disc through a tiny window that's absolutely impossible to do... I've seen it done though. Being someone who is constantly SAYING that he needs to work on his short game (and not really doing), this is a feature that will slaughter my score. It's nice though, because it does improve my short game, and if it doesn't it makes me go out to an empty field with a basket and work on putting.

There are trees everywhere on this course, which keeps you dry in the winter and keeps you challenged with very tight fairways. The design of the course takes advantage of every inch that they have here. Hole 4 is the only one that feels like overkill, but it's one that will make your month if you hit your birdie line (or so I assume).

Water hazards! Sometimes in the summer the bogs are just soft, damp looking areas, but in the winter it's a true water hazard. Unlike other courses with water (Rainier, Lakewood, Sunnyside), you don't need a Dragon or Wahoo because the bogs are shallow and are criss crossed with logs that you can risk a run across in order to retrieve your disc.

What else? This course makes you use most of the shots in your repertoire. The only thing it doesn't require is a big arm, which (as I've said in other reviews) is a pro for some of us...

It seems like the only way to lose a disc here is to leave it underwater or to have someon walk off with it after you've taken a blind shot.

The 19th hole is a brilliant idea, since you can't play hole 12 if school is in session. Great way to still let us throw 18, or if it's a weekend, summer, or holiday, a great way to add a playoff hole without making us play into the course again. I still say Lakewood needs to do this for anyone who's afraid of hole 9 there.
Cons: The baskets add a whole new twist to the game. On my best day out on the course I was at least five strokes higher than I should have been thanks to the ridiculous chain placement. I call this a con because I would love to be able to say I was five strokes lower that day (which would have made it my all time best score through 18).

The spray paint on the trees is an eyesore. To do that to a park with such natural beauty is just tragic.

It's kind of off the beaten track (which I prefer) and parking is a headache if school is in session (which I don't).

I haven't met the locals, but I HAVE heard of discs walking away when they're blindly thrown. It's never happened to me, but be watchful.

This is a multi-use park and sometimes other users such as cross country teams will appear in the middle of the fairway when you least expect it. Remember the word "fore". It isn't their responsibility to wear bells and let you know they're there, but I guarantee that it will be a con if you hit somebody.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in general. I love playing it and try to make it a part of my usual rotation. If you have time and enjoy technical courses, make a day of it with this one and Twin Rivers in Arlington. You can always warm up your short game by opening up in Snohomish at Ferguson as well. The baskets really are a pro and a con at the same time, but they certainly make you perfect your putting and your midrange game. The way I see it is that any course that improves aspects of your game is worth playing. There's also a decent selection of discs down at Games Plus if you don't mind a guy who knows more about Magic The Gathering than disc golf hovering over your shoulder while you're browsing them. Nice guy though.

Learn to love:)

1    9/8/2011   9/9/2011
Review By: StrangeOne
Pros: Nice clean course. I really like the park it's in. Challenging.
Cons: I get making it challenging but some of the holes don't seem to have any type of a fairway? You just throw and hope you don't hit a tree. And signs of any type to lead you to the next hole would be nice? Not spray paint on the trees.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time here and the 2nd time in 4 or so years since I've played. So like my title said, I can really see myself loving this course but it will take a bit of playing to get there.

Small Beautiful Course

2-4    8/6/2011   8/19/2011
Review By: Clempson13
Pros: This is a gorgeous evergreen course with a lot of holes located creatively in a small area. I spent half the time I was playing the course taking in the scenery since I'm not from the area. The baskets with blocking chains definitely threw in a different aspect to the game I hadn't seen before and I actually kinda like them; really made the course more technical.
Cons: Downsides to this course would be the short hole lengths and the intersecting/proximity of holes to one another. There were a few holes where the map said the basket was up and the left a bit, look out there and I see three baskets.... That kind of made it challenging. Graffiti on the trees were somewhat helpful, but were really an eye sore.
Other Thoughts: I didn't get to play the course when the "bogs" were full of water, but I can definitely see how these would make the course more complex as I played around/through the dark spots where they usually are. Also take care to avoid the ferns with a wayward disc...it can be pretty hard to locate it in them.

The Ultimate Challenge

1    4/20/2011   5/3/2011
Review By: MrNiceFella
Pros: Very challenging course. Egg basket style pins make it especially challenging. Heavily wooded, good elevation changes, plenty of hazards. Lots of fun!
Cons: All short distance shots. Needs concrete tee pads. Someone spray painted numbers and arrows on trees to direct you from hole to hole. This looks terrible and it is a shame that this person didn't have more sense than this. Some good signs would have prevented this from happening.
Other Thoughts: Water in the bog is very cold! Avoid it as much as possible.

short and sweet

1    3/6/2011   3/6/2011
Review By: Robinhood
This review was updated on 3/10/2011
Pros:
The best and worst of Lake Stevens DGC are the Unique Egg Baskets which will really challenge your putting. Technically Challenging lots of trees, narrow fairways and bog hazards. Good layout, and use of land. Well marked and easy to follow layout.
Cons:
Unique Baskets can be frustrating to putt. Muddy at times. lots of tree damage, some are about chopped down.some missing signage, but blaze markers are on the trees to the next hole. short shots on most hole, I would have liked to see a little more distance.
Well worth the trip, I will be back for sure. It would be nice to see a little more length on the course, but overall very good use of the space.

lots of recent blow down trees, and mud, lots of mud.

commercial for the Lake Stevens DVG

1    1/15/2011   1/15/2011
Review By: video1138
Pros: FUN
The trees keep it dry even when the rain is falling.
Cons: Losing the disc in the bog sucks, but watching a friend lose a disc in the bog is a pro.
Other Thoughts: Baskets are different than I am used to, not a bad thing.

BASKET HATER

5+    10/21/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: S3R14L_K1LL4
Pros: Decent maintainance. Not overly crowded. Challenging, yet fun. Friendly LOCALS/REGULARS.
Cons: THE BASKETS SUCK!!! I understand and respect the "EGG BASKETS" and their whole chain set up representing sand traps and what not, but this is a challenging enough course as it is.
Other Thoughts: Like this course a lot, and play it regularly. Have introduced many people to Disc Golf via this course, and 9 out of 10 are regular players now.

5+    8/7/2010   8/25/2010
Review By: Duanel
Pros: Very technical, this course will definitely teach you how to be accurate. There is enough of a variety between holes to make it exciting.
Cons: Watch your step on a few of these holes between the 'Bog of Eternal Stench' and various steep hills. Oh, and I really hate the baskets. Many's the time I should have had a par or bird and was denied by stupid placement of chains.
Other Thoughts: Did I mention I hate the baskets? Because I do. The locals seem to be proud of them, though. Bully for them! Anyway, the layout more than makes up for the baskets. I really enjoy the course and play it multiple times a month. I don't really care for the baskets, though.

The Baskets MAKE this course fun!

5+    7/28/2009   9/2/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 12/10/2014
Pros: I must start by saying that other than the gnarly technical woods that make this course so great - the BASKETS are what make this one-of-a-kind disc golf experience. I will explain why in a moment. First, you play primarily through a massive understory of firs and cedars on a quite short layout that is twisty and technical. Some of the holes would be fairly easy to deuce, or at least get your par - if not for the baskets.. The baskets offer a 3-Dimensional putting experience, as they are shaped like a globe, and sometimes you are putting into a half-sphere, or even a pie-wedge quadrant that requires pin-point accuracy. Often times there is a set of guard chains in the quadrant you are putting into which is sometimes attainable, but only with an absolute perfect shot, and some luck. The reason these baskets work for me, is due to the short length of the course, they create a dynamic on the green that requires that your drive or approach be very accurate. If you land on the side that has the guard chains - consider that you have landed in a sand trap or bunker, and you are penalized accordingly. I think greens should be designed this way in disc golf - a flat, wide open green is fine, but it shouldn't be seen on every hole on the course!

Otherwise, this course is a lot of fun and has elevation, and requires all kinds of different shots.
Cons: Tee pads are still gravel and always uneven. Fortunately, the course is short, so rarely is a big run up required.

Navigation can be a bitch if you are not carrying a map, so print one out.
Other Thoughts: Sooo many people complain about the baskets - even really good players. If you are such a good player, then putting should not be a problem to you, right?!

They have a little tournament every year, in which you can opt to play a one-disc challenge. I've always wondered what it would be like to play with one disc only.....

Too short and too hard

1    6/17/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: JEREMSTER
Pros: It's a beautiful course to look at, and the tee pads are well marked from the baskets.
Cons: Most of the holes are way too short, mostly under 200ft. But even though they are short there is rarely a clear path to the basket from the tee pad, which by itself would be frustrating enough, but the real downfall of the course is the joke baskets that you can only hit from one side and at just the right angle. Plus somebody thought it was a good idea to spray paint directions on every other tree with bright pink paint(ugly). Also the course has a lot of non-disc golf users (dog walkers and such) so you have to watch your shots.
Other Thoughts: This course has a lot of potential but in the end its just too un-playable.