Heflin, AL
Uploaded By: reellis Hole #7

Holy Driver

1    5/6/2018   8/2/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.586 Rating) A course with a mix of both "Thrilla and Manilla" holes.
- RAW BEAUTY - Wow.............. holes (1) and (2) are sensational. I had to grab my jaw off the ground after standing on tee (1) and looking down fairway. On tee (2) I nearly sh*t my pants. (1) and (2) are along the earthen dam and overlook Lake Cahulga. Being able to use a dam over overlooking a Lake, is a feature that just about every course wishes it had. Holes (3) through (8) are played entirely in the heavily wooded portion of the park with over a 100 feet of total elevation change. (9) is another dam shot, and then (10) crosses the Cahulga river. Really the only average holes are (11), (12) and (15) thru (17). Considering all the courses I've played, I'd personally put Lake Point in my top 50 (83 percentile), most beautiful courses.
- UNIQUENESS - Awesome hole variety. Several terrifying water plays and loads of elevation changes going up, down and side to side. Holes twist both ways, and the turns are both long gradual sweeps and abrupt pockets. A couple par 4s, but no par 5s. Distances vary from sub 200 to over 500 feet. There is also a great mix of heavily wooded through open holes.
- ELEVATION - One the more extreme courses I've played. Please note I have not played a ski resort course yet. Think Panther Creek or Inverness dialed back 25% or on par with the IDGC courses. Any player who's a fan a some wicked elevation plays will enjoy this course.
- CHALLENGING - I found the course overall to be Intermediate level, however, there are some heavyweight championship shots out here. Hole (2) especially is a par 3, 455 foot widow maker. Had a priest been next to me on the tee, I would had its last rites read. The play on (2) to RHBH players, is a gutty throw over the abyss and then praying the disc works back to the left. It pains me to say that I lost the disc.... a few weeks later by forgetting to pick up, D'oh! Hole (8) is a difficult 80 foot downhill left turning par 4 that's a 475 foot long with a 20 foot wide tunnel almost the entire way. Some of wooded holes on (3-7) are short enough for an easy deuce, however a bad ricochet could mean a bogie.
- BONUS HOLES - Two bonus holes are located between (15) and (16). I would surmise that they are skipped or played seamlessly during the round. Both shots are around 200 feet and I obviously failed miserably to ace either of them.
- SIGNAGE - Brand new hole and course map signage. All the appropriate info is on them. Large #, par info, distance, obstacles, ob and next tee arrow. The designer even went a bit further and included major slopes.
- TEES - All together about average. Holes (3) through (9) were subpar being uneven rubber pads. In fairness though, getting materials to these locations to construct tees would likely have to have been carried by hand. So just the fact that they weren't natural was a bonus.
- CHARACTER - In addition to nice signage and tees, the course has lots of tee seating and a practice area. There's also a community board with a shelter and picnic tables. Things I would have liked to have seen were multiple basket placements.
- NAVIGATION - With a download or picture of the course map, most players should not have any issues. There are no directional cues between baskets and tees so players will have to remember the direction on the tee. Also note, many of the baskets were mis-numbered on my play.

Cons: Mostly just preferential issues and couple minor things.
- TERRAIN - This course is a prime example of term "Not cart friendly." Lots of extreme elevation changes. Slopes are equivalent to stairs in a few areas. Also lots of rocks and tree stubs. This is not the course to go to if you have knee problems.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - For anyone who's played less than 50 rounds, please consider going somewhere else. Not as extreme as courses like Inverness, but close. In addition, Lake Point has more unforgivable water hazards in play over Inverness.
- SAFETY HAZARDS - Throwing (17) and possibly also (18), can bring vehicle property into play. (17) has a boat ramp parking area into play. I very much considered putting my disc back into the bag and I wish I would have. Watching my disc sail twenty feet over an F150 truck was heart thumping.
- WATER HAZARDS - Bringing a floating out here probably still isn't good enough to keep peace of mind. Putting one out into the dam water is an unforgivable error. Even if it floats, when the wind blows away from shore, there will be no way to retrieve it.
- POISON IVY - Not surprisingly, I spotted a bunch of Ivy in the wooded portion. Not the worst I've seen, but contact is possible.
- PARKING - Gravel parking and a gravel access road.
- TIME PLAY - Lake Point took me almost 90 minutes solo first time. Probably 2 1/2 hours or more for a foursome.

Other Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised by this course. It was personally recommended to me by DGCR member Jrodkelly1 and it didn't disappoint. Several eye candy shots and an all-around solid course. Definitely worth a look see from anyone traveling along I20 between Birmingham and Atlanta. Not quite the designation level of an Inverness or Hobbs, but a nice compliment to either course being less than 80 miles away from each course.

1    6/15/2018   6/16/2018
Review By: wericsson
Pros: Some of the prettiest, best land for a disc golf course anywhere. Hole 1 plays to a basket which is on top of an earthen dam - killer view of the lake. Hole 2 proceeds along the same dam to a basket tucked up into the woods just a little bit. Both are long enough that you could conceivably put the lake into play, but it shouldn't be too hard to stay safe. From there, you get into the woods, and some killer elevation too. Holes 3 and 4 are "gravity"-style uphill shots with a steep (30 degree, it seemed) cross-fairway grade to manage; each of holes 5-7 also has some interesting, but slightly more tame elevation, and plays slightly uphill, bringing you to hole 8, a ~500 foot par 4 through the woods that could probably be eagled with a mid and a lot of guts due to the insane drop back down the hill. Of course, if you miss the fairway, well, have fun, kid. From there, it gets a bit less memorable, though it still has some bright moments: hole 10 brings the creek on the other side of the dam into play, hole 12 is a tough low ceiling on an otherwise relatively park-style hole (had me asking if I was in Florida...), and 13 runs back up a big hill.

Baskets are Mach Vs, and tees are a mixture of concrete and TEXTURED rubber (can't overstate what a difference that makes vs. flat and slick), with am and pro tees on a few holes (for example, short tee players don't have to try and thread the 500 foot downhill through the trees). Tee signs are metal, color, and accurate, including calling out some not-so-obvious elevation features in the woods. They are not the ones pictured here - would've snapped a photo if I realized.
Cons: After about hole 13, the rest of the course is largely made up of long, open holes, without any real elegant shaping required or encouraged to match the rest of the course, though the terraces on 18 were cool. I didn't care for the fenced-in area that kept coming back into play on 15-16 - not sure what it was, aside from ugly and a pain. Pinched the lines in some odd, artificial places.

There's one small navigational bobble after hole 10 - both holes 11 and 12 are right there, so it's easy enough to wander over to the wrong one and play it before you realize.
Other Thoughts: It's a bit out of the way unless you live between Bham and Atlanta, but plenty of AL/GA people should be able to find an excuse to detour here now and again.

The front nine definitely make the course, but the back nine don't break it - they just don't match the quality of the beginning.

Some folks might think the cross-fairway grade on 3 and 4 is too much. I don't, but then again, my bag fell over and one of my drivers rolled 200 feet through the underbrush.

Lake Point Park

1    10/9/2016   10/12/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has a practice basket

Has tee signs

Has next tee signs where needed

Has good course flow

Good mix of wooded and open fairways

Almost half of the course have changes in elevations

Has many benches throughout course

Nice scenery

Well-maintained

Free Parking

Restrooms
Cons:
Mix of small rubber mats and raised concrete tee pads

Potential to lose discs in water on holes #1, #2 , & #10

Baskets on wooded holes are hard to spot

Holes #3 & #4 are steep and could use some logs to stop discs from rolling down the hill

Nasty OB in locked, fenced area at holes #16-18

Many baskets have the wrong number on them but not a big deal
This is a nice, challenging course in the Cleburne County area that is in the middle of nowhere but easily accessible from the I-20 freeway. This course has steep grades of elevation on almost half of the holes but is well-balanced of open and wooded fairways with varying degrees of elevation. Nice scenic views of the dam can be mentally challenging to play especially if the winds are picking up. I felt that after playing this course, I played two different courses. There were two ace run holes with their own baskets at holes #15 & #16 - making a total of 20 baskets. Also to note, the pars on 17 and 18 are now 4 according to the tee signs. If you're halfway between Atlanta and Birmingham, I recommend playing this course.

Great mix

5+    5/18/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: AceHarris10
Pros: Course has a little bit of everything. Water hazards-3 , wooded holes-8, and the rest are long distance chunk em's. Convenient location - halfway between Atlanta and Birmingham. The hole signage is good because it gives you distance, hole layout and par. The scenery is also some of the best I have experienced. It is also not a very popular course as you may be the only one out there on perfect discin days!!
Cons: hard for me to find any real notable cons.
Other Thoughts: This course is extremely fun in my opinion. This is my home course, so I may be slightly biased, but I am comparing to at least 15 courses.

4.0+ potential

1    5/28/2015   6/12/2015
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - The park is beautiful. Rolling hills with a large dam, creating a lake on one side and a nice creek on the other (the course navigates along both. Very pleasant setting.
- Big property primarily dedicated to disc golf, so they are able to spread the course out and provide some great hole diversity.
- The course was well maintained when I was there. I could see the grass in the open areas getting quite long if not mowed regularly, but course conditions seemed great.
Cons: I regret providing too many cons (I only have 3) but I think this course has the potential to be a 4.0 to 4.5 if a few adjustments are made.

- teepads. The majority were fine, but 5-6 were raised concrete (maybe 8-10 inches off the ground) and very skinny (2 to 2.5 ft wide at most) I felt unsafe on these and decided to step to the side and do my runup drives on the grass. Minor complaint but notable.
- After the opening 2-3 holes on the dam (which were awesome) I felt like there was some redundancy on the next 5 holes or so in the woods section. They all had similar distances and fairway widths. Each hole itself was not too bad, but I couldn't help but notice a lot of land behind many of these holes, making me think that at least 2 of them could be lengthened to vary up this portion of the course. I did like hole 9 (I think?) which carried down a long hill and finished back towards the dam.
- Around holes 13-16 I had some trouble with navigation. I saw a few random extra baskets which didn't match up to what I saw on the tee sign. I was very confused for about 3 holes.
Other Thoughts: - Don't let any of my cons dissuade you from checking out this course. I loved it more than I disliked it and I am very glad I got to play it. The nearest worthwhile courses are in Douglasville, GA (45 minutes away) so they are doing a great job for being the only course in the area.

- I did love the wayfinding street signs that they installed in several locations in the neighborhood leading to the park. Hopefully people will take the time and check out this great park!

5+    5/30/2015   6/1/2015
Review By: JBoggus75
Pros: - Great mix of open and wooded holes
- Challenging Layout
Cons: - Steep hills
Other Thoughts: Overall LPP is a fun course that challenges every player and let's you use every throw in your arsenal. From landing on a small crest of an earthen damn, to crushing a drive over water, this course will bring you back time and time again.

Great Park. Good Course

1    5/19/2015   5/20/2015
Review By: ssittler
Pros: This little gem is tucked away in what appears to be a park primarily built for fishing. There's good elevation, a couple water holes and some wide open shots. If you're in the area I'd recommend giving it a go. Be sure to take a picture of the layout (on the bulletin board near first tee) so you can easily navigate. There are plenty of next hole markers but the signage and hole numbers need to be updated.
Holes 1-2 play across a very cool damn. Both are relatively easy and straightforward but the scenery is a "10".
Holes 3-8 take you into the woods and show some elevation. There are plenty of duces to be had in this stretch along with a couple ace runs.
Holes 9-12 play through a lower area of the park. I'd consider #10 the signature hole with a risk/reward tee shot and great scenery below the damn.
Hole 13 brings you into an open area for play and starts the stretch to 18 with few obstacles. That said it's fun to see the change of scenery on this course. It ends with two wide open, throw all you've got (around 400'?) holes.
In all it's a fun park with decent tee pads. Some are concrete, some are rubber mats. There were also an adequate number of benches to rest and take in the scenery.
Cons: Even with a map I was a little confused on holes 15 and 16. The path/fairway was not clearly defined and there were multiple baskets - unlike the rest of the course. Then again, I was playing alone and never
My only suggestions for improvement would be 1) post the current layout on DGCR for folks to download before arrival, 2) update signage to reflect current layout and 3) update basket numbers.
Some might find the inconsistent tee pads (concrete/mats) a con but it wasn't an issue for me.
Other Thoughts: While there's great variety in the layout (open, wooded, water) the holes are mostly short, less than 400'. I'm not typically looking for 1,000' holes but threw mid-range/putters from 15 of the tees.
If this course were in my regular rotation it would easily become a -5 to -10 layout (I'm a 900ish rated player).

Good Course Needs Work

1    6/29/2014   7/21/2014
Review By: drgonzo712
Pros: Great scenery
Challenging holes
Hole 11? over the spill way comes to mind as a signature hole for this course.
Played the new layout and the 3-4 new holes made this course better by adding some elevation changes and heavy wooded holes
Cons: It needs new signage and tee pads (I know they are doing a redesign, but we got lost until we found a local guide that took us back through the front 9. We were on 14 and had missed quite a few of the new holes.
Bugs are terrible (not really a con, just wear bug spray)
Other Thoughts: Great course and can't wait for them to finish everything with the redesign.